Thread: Hollard

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Hollard

WTF

I approached my insurers (Hollard) to find out about cover for track days and instructional days and the reply I get

"Dear Mr May,

We hereby regret to advise you, that Hollard is unable to assist you with the above mentioned request.

We however have another option to assist you with another underwriter, Iron Horse also does underwriting of this nature. Please inform us should you require a quotation from them.

Kind regards."

So come on Bikesure - I am still waiting for my quote!

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Come on Dave are you really that surprised? Okes (and a few gurlz) are writing bikes off on tracks like there's no tomorrow at the moment. I don't blame the insurers. Have a look at the excesses quoted by Bikesure and Bikeline for track use - it tells the story about claims.

Why are you ensuring the 750 for the track anyway? Surely some race plastics and crash bobbins will do the trick?

Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm using Iron Horse and I know they cover me. I'm yet to go re-read the policy to check the fine print, but I have done 2 track days and I was covered.
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Just wanted to be honest with them and let them know that I would on occasion be taking the bike on the track...

For track days I can understand the high excesses quoted by some insurers (R5K if crashed on track) and I am willing to take that risk. I am not going out with the intention of deliberately falling off, but would like to be covered if I do end up trashing her some day

Crash bobbins do help, but don't stop all fairing damage as I found out yesterday when I slipped unloading the bike off the trailer ops:

And then just to round off the day I left my paddock stand at the track and by the time I got back there (30 minutes later) somebody had annexed it :evil:

SauRoN

How does that work then?

BikeSure is underwritten by Hollard, and they offer track insurance, but Hollard themselves don't?

And Hollard didn't even bother redirecting you to BikeSure either?

SauRoN

Quote Originally Posted by dave31

Crash bobbins do help, but don't stop all fairing damage as I found out yesterday when I slipped unloading the bike off the trailer ops:
    Unfortunately they only help if you happen to fall on a nice flat and smooth surface.

If you fall in that nice little "gutter" in the road then they do bugger all.

Bike
    Volbloed Blou GP Piston
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN
    How does that work then?

BikeSure is underwritten by Hollard, and they offer track insurance, but Hollard themselves don't?

I have spoken to Dave, he did not speak to Hollard, he spoke o his own broker who place business with Hollard, BikeSURE is not underwritten by Hollard, it is a Hollard owned company.
    If u stay on the rear, u'll save cost by not replacing the front !

SauRoN

Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN
    How does that work then?

I have spoken to Dave, he did not speak to Hollard, he spoke o his own broker who place business with Hollard, BikeSURE is not underwritten by Hollard, it is a Hollard owned company.
    That statement makes absolutely no difference to mine.

Surely if BikeSure can offer track insurance, then Hollard itself should to?

And if not, then why does Hollard not forward the business to BikeSure considering that it's the same company?

Bike
    K7
    Region
    Gauteng

Used to be with HOLLARD and they did cover me for trackdays :roll:
    I intend leaving this world the same way I came into it.........Screaming and Covered in BLOOD

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm with HOLLARD and the policy wording is actually ambiguous about the use of bikes on tracks. You can interpret it a number of ways.

The Hollard Policy Wording states:

Cover does not extend to any use connected with the motor trade (except use in connection with normal maintenance, service or repair), driving instruction or towing for reward; the carriage of goods for trade purposes, hiring, carriage of fare-paying passengers, racing, speed or other contests or rallies, use on any race track whether at an organised event or not.
    So you could argue that when a track is being used for rider training, then it is a training facility, not a race track. We are not racing, but training.

I've had a discussion with my broker around this and have come to the conclusion that the loose wording actually works in our favour.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Rallies not covered either??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Sounds like the last time I stripped my moer... I forget which company I was *****ing at, but I told them to actually write down what they do cover :evil: ... then it would only be an A5 leaflet and they could save a lot of trees :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SauRoN

Quote Originally Posted by DaCat
    Sounds like the last time I stripped my moer... I forget which company I was *****ing at, but I told them to actually write down what they do cover :evil: ... then it would only be an A5 leaflet and they could save a lot of trees :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    He he he.

Yeah, that would make things a hell of alot easier, and please the treehuggers at the same time.

Bike
    Volbloed Blou GP Piston
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    I'm with HOLLARD and the policy wording is actually ambiguous about the use of bikes on tracks. You can interpret it a number of ways.

The Hollard Policy Wording states:

Cover does not extend to any use connected with the motor trade (except use in connection with normal maintenance, service or repair), driving instruction or towing for reward; the carriage of goods for trade purposes, hiring, carriage of fare-paying passengers, racing, speed or other contests or rallies, use on any race track whether at an organized event or not.
    So you could argue that when a track is being used for rider training, then it is a training facility, not a race track. We are not racing, but training.

I've had a discussion with my broker around this and have come to the conclusion that the loose wording actually works in our favor.
    If u stay on the rear, u'll save cost by not replacing the front !

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Okay - let me jump in here quickly before it gets out of hand ;)

I have been with the same broker for the past 10 years - I contacted them to ask if covered for track days and they contacted Hollard to enquire as they were unsure.

HOLLARD then came back with a clear NO to track days (Tifosi please take note ) and suggested BIKESURE. My broker suggested Iron Horse as they have had previous experience with them.

TTT (kyk sy piston!) contacted me yesterday and quoted me on moving my bikes to Bikesure. The premiums are competitive and the excesses better, with the additional benefit of having track cover, albeit at a R5K excess.

So I will be moving my cover to them ASAP

SauRoN

Quote Originally Posted by dave31
    So I will be moving my cover to them ASAP
    I think I'll only be moving anywhere once I turn 25.

And I can't see myself affording a new bike either, with the way premiums are looking at the moment.

Bike
    BMW F650GS
    Region
    Western Cape

erm... I'm with a company called Harnacks here in Slaapstad. I've sent them THREE e-mails enquiring as to their track policy and to date I've had absolutely NO reply. A year ago I dropped the bike and needed a repair, it took over a month just to get the go-ahead from them. It only happened after I went into their offices and spoke to the person there who then proceeded to acklowlege receipt of all my e-mails as well as all the quotations. Methinks they're overworked and maybe I should go elsewhere.
    Lost it down the highway.
    Down the dotted line.
    You were going your way.
    I was going mine.

Bike
    2004 Honda CBR600RR
    Region
    Gauteng

I got a quote from BikeSure, and on page 2 it says this...

"In the event of an accident/claim on the track an additional excess of R 5000 will apply. The following are the only track schools approved by BikeSURE (Classes A, B, C & D) SA Biking Academy, Michelin Superbike School, Track Daze, Speed Queen Racing, TMM Racing, Endo Racing, BMW Advanced, Track Time Institute, Honda Midrand Zwartops track school.

Open track days or any racing event is not covered.
    Approved track schools cover is limited to personal damages only. Third party and Liability cover on the track or on quad- and offroad vehicles is an exclusion."

So open track days are not covered
    By wisdom a house is built, but by understanding it is maintained.

Visit : https://www.paperlizard.co.za