Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Drivers

Lurker
    Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Had a nasty case of a Golf GTI dicing me this morning - from behind.
    I filtered to the front, then pulled away normally when Green and moved to the right (I was going to turn right soon). Mr Golf GTI decided Challenge Accepted and chased me from behind, almost rear-ended me. He put me in an extremely dangerous situation and forced me to go a lot quicker than comfortable.

So, if you live in Centurion, watch out for a white Golf GTI with some (pink?) writing on the hatch. He's going to kill someone or dice you, specifically if you ride something slower like a scooter or a two-wheeled Jeep like my 800GS.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    My remedy for road rage! :evil: I do not suffer from it, I rather cause it! It is sooooo-much more fun to have other people rant and rave (giving is better than receiving! :roll: ). These guys who cut into the lane suffer the consequences, of having a black boot mark from tail light to head light! The pleasure of getting even and not mad is lasting. I fear that if we leave these MotherF?rs to do as they please it will be contagious and soon we (the bikers) will be fighting a loosing battle. When uncle gets home he will remember what caused the black-rubber stripe now prominently displayed on the side of his car!
    It's tempting to do that when cut up deliberately, and as a courier in London I did the exact same thing on a couple of occasions in the past. When someone swerves at or nudges us the adrenalin & emotions run high, we get into "fight or flight" mode, and we get rightly upset when they're endangering us and breaking the law.

But taking it out on their car teaches nothing, and you don't get even. Drivers have been doing this both unintentionally and intentionally for as long as we've had bikes and cars on the road together. Some of it comes down to no more than human distraction, or lack of training. And I'm equally including the riders.

All it does is create a black hatred for motorcycles in the ID10Ts little heart and a stereotyping of all riders as being the same, along with a determination to take it out on the next rider who comes along. And that next guy may well be a noob rider who's battling to concentrate on keeping upright, let alone watch out for vengeful drivers looking for payback for last week's scrape. Throw in the fact that deliberately causing damage to the guy's vehicle opens you up for criminal damage charges. We live in a world full of camera phones and dash cams, so don't think we can necessarily get away unidentified anymore. We also tend to pull on our helmet and leathers and start to feel invincible. It doesn't matter how much we can bench press, a 55kg weakling in a car will always beat a 100kg MMA fighter on a bike when vehicular push comes to shove.

Best case for us: get advanced defensive rider training (there are some of us out there teaching it in various cities), commute with a helmet or bike-mounted camera to capture evidence of people like the Corolla driver mentioned at the start of this thread, and don't give the cage pilots or law enforcement (which also doesn't really care or understand about bikes) cause to stereotype the lot of us as reckless aggro jackasses.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Lurker
    Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thank you for this; I didn't damage that car or anything, just got out of the way.
    The right course of action could be to move to the other lane, but as I didn't know what this guy wanted to do (he DID in fact pull into the left lane, then drove right beside me) I decided to stay where I was until my right-turn.

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    My remedy for road rage! :evil: I do not suffer from it, I rather cause it! It is sooooo-much more fun to have other people rant and rave (giving is better than receiving! :roll: ). These guys who cut into the lane suffer the consequences, of having a black boot mark from tail light to head light! The pleasure of getting even and not mad is lasting. I fear that if we leave these MotherF?rs to do as they please it will be contagious and soon we (the bikers) will be fighting a loosing battle. When uncle gets home he will remember what caused the black-rubber stripe now prominently displayed on the side of his car!
    It's the next rider that passes the cager you enraged I'm worried about

Lurker
    Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Duly noted. Lesson learnt, this kind of thing won't happen again from my side (I've been riding a long time now, not even a speeding ticket so I really try hard to be a good citizen).
    Side-note, funny that people become enraged by something they caused themselves

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Thread spans a decade and nothing changes, Worse than a seven year itch...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    It's the next rider that passes the cager you enraged I'm worried about
    Nah! I am sure that cager he ****ed off in 2006 have calmed down by now.

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Nah! I am sure that cager he ****ed off in 2006 have calmed down by now.
    I saw 2016 ...my bad. Still holds true though - ****ing off a cager will only make him more dangerous for the next biker (or car even) that comes a long his way.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I saw 2016 ...my bad. Still holds true though - ****ing off a cager will only make him more dangerous for the next biker (or car even) that comes a long his way.

True it holds true. But me, I cannot resist yanking an easily available chain.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

The other side of the coin is though that sometimes there is a real tosser on two wheels who deserves a klap...
    I had a situation on Sunday where I was in my car for a change and I came along a scooter rider (yes I know...but still 2 wheels... ) that was going quite slowly and hugging the yellow line in the left hand lane. I immediately felt like telling him how dangerous that is because cars were then squeezing past him in the same lane but I thought maybe he had a problem and had to go that slowly. But low and behold we all get to the traffic light and who comes lane splitting up the middle only to pull in front of all the cars that have just passed him and make them do it all over again. After this happened 4 or 5 times in a row I was tempted to smack him off the road... if I had been on my bike I probably would have pulled up next to him at the traffic light and *****-slapped him! but anyway I took deep breaths and sped up a lot between the next couple of lights and managed to lose him...but I would not have felt in the least bit sorry for him had I come across someone taking him out...consideration on the roads is a two-way street...excuse the pun...
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

I witnessed a similar madness over the weekend. A Scooter that would lane split at the robots then ride along at 40km/h and hold up traffic.

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by bksrdr View Post
    I witnessed a similar madness over the weekend. A Scooter that would lane split at the robots then ride along at 40km/h and hold up traffic.
    I don't believe in damaging bad drivers cages .... damaging said drivers themselves is very educational though

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
    I don't believe in damaging bad drivers cages .... damaging said drivers themselves is very educational though

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    ja oom

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC View Post
    The other side of the coin is though that sometimes there is a real tosser on two wheels who deserves a klap...
    I had a situation on Sunday where I was in my car for a change and I came along a scooter rider (yes I know...but still 2 wheels... ) that was going quite slowly and hugging the yellow line in the left hand lane. I immediately felt like telling him how dangerous that is because cars were then squeezing past him in the same lane but I thought maybe he had a problem and had to go that slowly. But low and behold we all get to the traffic light and who comes lane splitting up the middle only to pull in front of all the cars that have just passed him and make them do it all over again. After this happened 4 or 5 times in a row I was tempted to smack him off the road... if I had been on my bike I probably would have pulled up next to him at the traffic light and *****-slapped him! but anyway I took deep breaths and sped up a lot between the next couple of lights and managed to lose him...but I would not have felt in the least bit sorry for him had I come across someone taking him out...consideration on the roads is a two-way street...excuse the pun...
    Hell this is the point where I now have a go at you. I have educated so many people that I sometimes forget that at one time I knew nothing and at other times knew less than I thought I did.

Maybe this person just does not know any better, maybe the education that he/she has had come from the wrong mouth, maybe he/she believes that what they are doing is perfectly correct
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Biker
    Bike
    2012 CBR600F
    Region
    Western Cape

+1000
    I thought the Think Bike ethos is one of consideration and respect for fellow road users....

to quote..

if I had been on my bike I probably would have pulled up next to him at the traffic light and *****-slapped him! but anyway I took deep breaths and sped up a lot between the next couple of lights and managed to lose him...but I would not have felt in the least bit sorry for him had I come across someone taking him out...

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Hell this is the point where I now have a go at you. I have educated so many people that I sometimes forget that at one time I knew nothing and at other times knew less than I thought I did.

Maybe this person just does not know any better, maybe the education that he/she has had come from the wrong mouth, maybe he/she believes that what they are doing is perfectly correct

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

+1.

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

I had one of "those" mornings today.. and I only have a 6km commute.

A bus came from a right turn only lane into the Old Jhb road and went straight on cutting me up. There was a filter light that goes red before ours goes green. Chop just ran his red and cut across the traffic. And then not more than 500 metres down the road I was about to pull off when another chop in a bakkie comes across a feeder road from the right over a red robot with his cell stuck to his ear. As is my habit I look both ways before moving off. Ride past and shake my head and get the finger treatment from the driver....

Over the highway on Lenchen and at the first robot another frikken idiot pulls out from the left turn only lane and cuts across into the straight lane. WTF?
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

@Dave31......... just another day in paradise Bro
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Coachman... is getting worse by the day
    Dunslop lover....