Thread: Fresh Squid

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Northern Cape

Default Fresh Squid

Hello!
    My name is Jared and I have just discovered motorcycles and decided that I needed one in my life.

I sat on a bike for the very first time a few days ago and today I applied for my motorcycle learners permit, I met a biker who is willing to teach me the basics for now, so by the time I get my learners permit (soonest booking is about 2 months away), I should be good to go.

Here's the thing, I want a 125cc to start with. . . I see many beginners start off with 600cc or higher and I just cannot understand how that would even be possible for me, I see so many reddit posts or youtube videos about how quickly one gets used to their bike and starts itching for an upgrade even with a 400-600cc. But with my lack of experience and balance, I feel like a 125cc would be perfect for me to learn on until I am ready to upgrade.

Anyone care to have a chat with me about this? Is there any shame or rule against wanting a 125cc motorcycle?
    Thank you!

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Greetings and welcome to the lifestyle.

I started with a 250cc and felt it was the best thing I could have done. I did trade it in within 2 years for an upgrade but I do not regret the cash and time I spent on it as it allowed me to gain the skills needed before riding a larger bike. I am a fairly large individual and the 250 was at the limits as to what can carry me.

Try and find a school that does novice training as sometimes you can pick up bad habits from a friend. Nothing wrong with having out rides with an experienced teacher but remember to ride your own ride. Don't let anyone push you beyond what you feel comfortable with.

Remember though that the 125 is the limit for the A/A1 licence so maybe look at a 250/300 when you do your final test.

That is of course only my experience and opinion.

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Always better to start smaller and the test is a lot easier on a smaller bike too.

Enjoy, Learn and Be Safe.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda NC700X
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome, I myself started with a CBX250. Small and easy enough to learn to ride, large enough to go on the highway. From then upgraded a few years later to my current bike, a NC700X. A big jump but since I was confident in my skills I got used to it within a few weeks.

Not a bad idea at all to start small, though personally I would suggest a 250cc rather simply because you can do more with it. But a 125cc is perfectly fine for commuting and other non-highway usage. The reason I went with a 250cc orginally is not to gimp my licence and upgrade to a larger bike in the future without having to redo my licence, but you can easily borrow someone's 250cc for the test once you've learned to drive your 125cc properly.