Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Lowveld Road Trip - March/April 2021

Hi,

I am planning a ride for a group of Gauteng-based bikers (10 - 15 riders) to the Lowveld during March/April 2021 spending 2 or 3 nights away from home.

The route I am considering is Alberton to Waterval-Boven to spend the first night there. Thereafter we ride to Graskop via Sabie and, depending on circumstances, spending the 2nd night at Graskop. From Graskop we ride to Dullstroom via Pilgrim's Rest where we spend our last night before returning to Gauteng.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions on affordable accommodations for our group of riders at Waterval-Boven, Graskop and Dullstroom and keeping in mind that most of us ride road bikes, therefore, dirt roads to destinations are a no-no.

Best regards

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Did you do the trip?
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi theRehann,

Yes, we did the trip. We used Wayside Lodge in Waterval-Onder as our basecamp, instead of doing a round-trip back to Alberton.

On our arrival, there was time for us to ride to Kaapschehoop and enjoy sundowners there before spending the night at basecamp.

The first morning, we took the one route to visit the caves, Sabie, Graskop ending at Pilgrimsrest. We took the same route back to basecamp.

The following morning, we took the other route to Hazyview and again doubled back to basecamp.

That weekend proved to be ideal for a road trip and we all enjoyed the basecamp accommodations and facilities. Pierre Urtel who owns the place was the perfect host and he shared valuable insight into the routes suitable for motorcycles (he is a biker himself), places worth seeing etc.

Best regards

Bike
    BMW 1250 GSA
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Great stuff. Let us know when you come down again, we would love to join from Nelspruit.
    Don't Cry because it's Over...
    Smile because it Happened....

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Hi theRehann,

Yes, we did the trip. We used Wayside Lodge in Waterval-Onder as our basecamp, instead of doing a round-trip back to Alberton.

On our arrival, there was time for us to ride to Kaapschehoop and enjoy sundowners there before spending the night at basecamp.

The first morning, we took the one route to visit the caves, Sabie, Graskop ending at Pilgrimsrest. We took the same route back to basecamp.

The following morning, we took the other route to Hazyview and again doubled back to basecamp.

That weekend proved to be ideal for a road trip and we all enjoyed the basecamp accommodations and facilities. Pierre Urtel who owns the place was the perfect host and he shared valuable insight into the routes suitable for motorcycles (he is a biker himself), places worth seeing etc.

Best regards
    That's great!

My advice would be to have your base closer to Nelspruit or Hazyview, becuase that is closer to the good riding.

Like Jasper says, let us now next time you plan to do this, we would like to join in and maybe advise on some riding here.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

+ Reply to Thread