Thread: M1 Johannesburg expansion joints motorbike restrictions

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    Gauteng

Default M1 Johannesburg expansion joints motorbike restrictions

I have been told that bikes are not allowed to use the double decker flyover of the M1 due to the safety concerns around the expansion joints, however I have seen that this has been the subject of much debate on this forum with some expressing that the expansions joints are no longer metal crocodile-teeth joints, but rather have been replaced with much safer rubber one's and that these restrictions no longer apply to the M1, only to the M2,,, I was wondering if by now there is a consensus on the definitive answer to this debate? Thanks in advance

Come Join the Marshals
    Bike
    NC700X (retired into a golf5)NC750X, & Bajaj 180
    Region
    Gauteng

I've ridden up and down both section with no worries, or care for that matter, the main concern is more about bikes with thinner tyres.
    To proof a point a metro officer on a bike followed me today all the way from Wynburg past the dbl decker, along the m2 section right into Germiston.
    If you require Safety Training pop us WhatsApp: 062 192 5492

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi and welcome

As far as I know only the M2 east from the crown interchange is restricted to bikes. Never had an issue though and plenty of bikes travel that way.

The M1 South from Corlett is restricted for bikes less than 125cc but once again never seen that enforced.

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I ride on M2/M1 almost daily and no issue with joints. My only issue is the rough road surface on the double decker section, but I have grown used to it.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Adv87 View Post
    I have been told that bikes are not allowed to use the double decker flyover of the M1 due to the safety concerns around the expansion joints, however I have seen that this has been the subject of much debate on this forum with some expressing that the expansions joints are no longer metal crocodile-teeth joints, but rather have been replaced with much safer rubber one's and that these restrictions no longer apply to the M1, only to the M2,,, I was wondering if by now there is a consensus on the definitive answer to this debate? Thanks in advance
    The M1, all of it, has been open to bikes for some years now.

The M2, a small part on the east near Germiston still had the restriction, but that was probably lifted after the repair done a year or so ago.