Thread: Fellow biker side swiped on N1 S this morning

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Post Fellow biker side swiped on N1 S this morning

Poor guy got side swiped while filtering slowly (about 10 to 20km faster than the cars) about 30 meters in front of me this morning.
    Two motorists and myself stopped. One of the motorists is also a biker and helped the guy with some basic first aid. Roasties on one leg and on top of his foot, he lost his one shoe when he went down. luckily he was at least wearing a protective jacket, helmet and gloves, but unfortunately office shoes and pants. The gent with the first aid kit also had a toolbox in the back of his vehicle so he could bend the gear lever back into position. The motorcyclist then rode home and then was taken to hospital for X-rays. He has let me know that he has a broken knee.
    I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I must admit it was a eye opener for me how quickly an accident really can happen.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Sorry to hear of the fallen rider. Was their anything he could have done to avoid the collision?

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Sorry to hear of the fallen rider. Was their anything he could have done to avoid the collision?
    I was a little bit too far away for my helmet cam to show clearly what happened, I was looking all over the place as I usually do when filtering and only saw him just after he went down.

I think it could've been a few things that lead to the accident. As I said we were filtering slowly, so he might have been a second too long in the car driver's blindspot, or maybe she didn't check her mirrors at all, just saw a gap and took it. If you ride too long on a certain road/highway you get lax (I know I do, and have to remind myself constantly not to get lax).

So to answer your question, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoe View Post
    So to answer your question, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure.
    No worries. I commute with a motorcycle myself (Alberton/Rosebank) and filtering involves 99% part of my 60km route. Its therefore of benefit to me to apprise myself of the dangers that other riders had to face. Safe travels

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Safe travels
    Thanks, you too!

I travel between Centurion and Isando. If I take the N1 it's 10km shorter, but for the last year I've taken the R21. Today reminded me why I stopped using the N1. I'll rather ride 20km further a day and know it's safer.

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

I dislike the N1 intensely, car drivers weave between lanes with no consideration for other road users, and inexperienced drivers hog the right hand lane, causing havoc for those who try to drive at a consistent speed. I will avoid it unless I have no choice.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoe View Post
    I'll rather ride 20km further a day and know it's safer.
    You can't fool me. You ride the extra miles because you like riding too much

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    I dislike the N1 intensely, car drivers weave between lanes with no consideration for other road users, and inexperienced drivers hog the right hand lane, causing havoc for those who try to drive at a consistent speed. I will avoid it unless I have no choice.
    I agree 100%!!!

You can't fool me. You ride the extra miles because you like riding too much
    Hahaha! You caught me!