Thread: Trip advice KZN to Western Cape

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    CBR1000R, GSX650F
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Trip advice KZN to Western Cape

Hay all,

I need some advice on a trip I am planning end of March. We will be traveling from Utrech in KZN down to Mosselbaai, and was looking for some advice on roads that needs to be ridden and the ones that needs to be avoided.

It will be myself on the Super duke and my girlfriend on the Truimpth Street triple so gravel roads is not on the cards, but I would like to ride as many of the mountain passes/nice scenery roads as possible.

If you live in an area along our route and there are places that you can suggest we stop at, that is a must see, or great places to grab a bite please do mention them.

Our plan so far is to leave Utrech on the Sunday and make it to Port Shepstone area, Monday to East London Area, Tuesday we are still not sure if we will be pushing to Mosselbaai or stop around Jefferys bay and then the last stretch on Wednesday. For the most part it will be N2 I think unless you suggest something else.

Thank you in advance

Ed

Biker
    Bike
    R1200GS LC
    Region
    Eastern Cape

It sounds lime you will be doing the Transkei roads via Mthatha. I would rather go via Matatiele, Elliot, Queenstown. A lot safer than risking the Taxi's and goats on the N2
    This route is even better https://goo.gl/maps/CwWfNXaqwRXFKxQE6

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

The N2 can be really great and views are sensational. Some of the towns you pass through are in need of some road repairs etc. There are a lot of animals on this route.

I am going to the WC in late Feb and I won't drive the N2 unless I have to.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

Our riding group did a tour to WC in 2017 and we're planning one for October 2020. The route I would suggest would be Harrismith, Clarens, Ladybrand, Aliwal North, Middelburg, Graaff Reinette. These are nice roads and fairly quiet. Or travel them in reverse on the way back. That Eastern Natal route will also be scenic although I am not sure of the condition of the roads.
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

We were in Clarens last weekend, and were planning to ride back via Harrismith, the owner of Post House advised against it, saying that road was not too safe. We used the Bethlehem - Warden road, pretty good road surface.

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    We were in Clarens last weekend, and were planning to ride back via Harrismith, the owner of Post House advised against it, saying that road was not too safe. We used the Bethlehem - Warden road, pretty good road surface.
    Probably due to the unrest in Qwa-Qwa. , nothing wrong with the road surface as far as I know
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Nothing wrong with the road except the unrest that was in QwaQwa due to the water crisis. I was there a few weeks ago on 2 wheels, but I tend to do QwaQwa, Harrismith, Warden, then peel off on the Alternative route to Villiers. Just a stretch or two where one may be caught by surprise at night, but during the day it’s super safe.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    Our riding group did a tour to WC in 2017 and we're planning one for October 2020. The route I would suggest would be Harrismith, Clarens, Ladybrand, Aliwal North, Middelburg, Graaff Reinette. These are nice roads and fairly quiet. Or travel them in reverse on the way back. That Eastern Natal route will also be scenic although I am not sure of the condition of the roads.
    This sounds like a nice option too. Out one route, back another.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

If passing Graaff Reinet there is a great motor museum (with bikes too) and across the road a wonderful old world classic restoration cafe, pub, shop village.
    The Village Graaf-Reinet and Recollection Rides

Well worth a visit. A private collection of the family who own Montego pet/animal feeds in the town. Head for their factory plant and you will get to the two venues.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Looking at Howick, Winterton, Clarens, Fouriesburg, Ladybrand, Aliwal North, Burgersdorp, Steynsburg, Middleburg, Graaff-Reinet, Willowmore, Uniondale, Oudtshoorn, Barrydale, then either N2 or N15 toward Franshhoek

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    CBR1000R, GSX650F
    Region
    Gauteng

Hay there Guys,

Thank you for all the info, I would really like to rather take the coastal route as we in Gauteng don't really get to see that part of the country that often, where the inland route seems to be more likely to do.

I will try and stay off the N2 as much as possible and rather take the smaller routes.

I have taken note of the animals on the road, but we would not be rushed and will be taking it slow, although it is still a concern of mine, it less so than road surface of instance.

I appreciate the inputs and am keeping everything said in consideration.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

From Port Shepstone the N2 diverts inland and only really comes back to the coast before EL