Thread: Insurance and Excess waivers

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Support Insurance and Excess waivers

Hi all,

Happy new year!

I'm thinking of getting a different excess waiver policy. If you could give me any details of companies that you've used and that actually covered more than just the basic excess, it would be greatly appreciated.

So here's why I want to change:

I've had a rock hit my bike's headlight late last year. I contacted my insurance to put in a claim. The claim was then put in with an basic excess of R1500 plus a R1500 no 3rd party involved excess (I didn't see which car picked up the rock that hit the headlight). I was so glad I had taken out an Excess waiver a few years back thinking I'm fully covered. Then when the time came to go have the light fitted at the dealer I was told the excess waiver only paid the basic excess and I had to pay the remainder R1500 (no 3rd party involved excess). In the original schedule it didn't really say much only you're covered for up to R5000.00 in excess buy back. So I should have asked more questions when taking out the excess waiver, lesson learned.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Biker
    Bike
    R1200GS LC
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Most insurers will only waive the basic excess. You need a policy that does not have an additional excess for no third party involved, so this would eliminate most direct insurers (Outsurance etc) Find a broker - best way.

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeemer View Post
    Most insurers will only waive the basic excess. You need a policy that does not have an additional excess for no third party involved, so this would eliminate most direct insurers (Outsurance etc) Find a broker - best way.
    You're not going to believe me but this is through a broker.