Thread: New rider

Lurker
    Bike
    KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Default New rider

Hi

Bought a bike a week ago. Its awesome, never rode before and im enjoying it a lot, apart from all the cars trying to kill you.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome to Think Bike

If I may make a suggestion: Get rider training. My recommendation is BMW Motorrad Riding Acadamy: http://www.bmwrideracademy.co.za/home

With experience and proper training you will not feel as vulnerable as you do.

Enjoy your ride and stay safe

Lurker
    Bike
    KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Welcome to Think Bike

If I may make a suggestion: Get rider training. My recommendation is BMW Motorrad Riding Acadamy: http://www.bmwrideracademy.co.za/home

With experience and proper training you will not feel as vulnerable as you do.

Enjoy your ride and stay safe
    I did basic training with Synergy racing. Motorad and everyone else is closed rest of the year.
    Will do advanced training and cornering training next year when they open again.

My fear is more the encounters im having. The other day a truck was in front of me in a 60 zone so i stayed in the right third of my lane, unable to pass as its a blind corner, truck in front and a no overtaking line.
    Then this guy keeps revving his car behind me and eventually pulls up next to me, in my lane... screaming i need to pass the truck or he will run me over.

He then started making aggressive swerving techniques towards me pushing me into the oncoming lane.
    This forced my hand and i had to overtake the truck or this guy would have ended me.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Hi LJDK,

Training is a great start as suggested by Hitman.
    Check through the Forum here as there are loads of very useful and valid threads on learning skills, general riding skills and who and where to go.

Enjoy.

PS if you cannot find many threads it might be because they are in the MEMBERS Section.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome to the 2 wheels. My mantra on 2 wheels is KEEP CALM ~ I WILL BE HOME BEFORE YOU. It's my survival mantra on the mad roads. If you are unable to hop a few cars ahead and leave the aggressive road user, tap off, let them through, and find your centre point. Don't be tempted to use hand gestures. Unfortunately some people are just bullies (may be compensating for something), so let them be - you can't fix them, don't worry, many have tried!

Lovely to hear that you've done some training. One can never be over trained, so do keep investing in self. Maybe find one or 2 other regular riders, share a cuppa and wisdom. If you are in Joburg or Cape Town, come around and have a cuppa with the Marshalls at one of their weekly events. Stay of wisdom amongst those nutters as they deal with various real life road situations especially with aggressive road users.

Rubber side down!