Thread: New and looking for some route advice

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    Gauteng

Default New and looking for some route advice

Hi, New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I'm considering getting a bike primarily for a work commute - Blairgowrie to Kya Sand, the drive is generally down Malibongwe. I have also never ridden bike but done load of mnt biking. Considering something like a 250 or 300 cross road style so its more of an upright ride.

Cheers Michael

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.
    If you have never ridden a bike before, or even if you have, please consider going for professional training with a reputable company. I was self taught, and only after discovering Think Bike and going for training and working with the marshalling body, did I realise how little I knew about safe riding. I would recommend a refresher course once a year too, to stop bad habits from creeping in.
    Whatever you decide, keep it safe.

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade(Pepper), Gixxer 750(Monica), Daytona 600(She), EX300 (Baby Girl)
    Region
    Gauteng

I spent my first two years crashing in to every thing stationary as a young pup, my first track training training day i learnt proper bike control and feeling for the first time, that's where i met think bike and marshaling, but doing as much training, as marshals we average 2 to 3 times a year and always going over drills every time i ride, as i start on the bike going down the road, i do an emergency braking drill to feel the brakes under pressure as if i needed to stop the bike before the first stop street painting on the road and a emergency serving drill as i jump on the bike and ride down the road, just to get a feel and connection to the bike, so nothing major, just apply brakes hard to feel how the bike controls the load, and a swerve or two so i feel the top weight of the bike with my tubby bottom on the bike,
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade(Pepper), Gixxer 750(Monica), Daytona 600(She), EX300 (Baby Girl)
    Region
    Gauteng

and spending time with other commuters is massive and learning from others the small tricks makes the ride alot easier, like a gap infront of a truck or bus means something is about to pull out from a side road, watching mirrors for eyes, if there is a gap in a lane a car will change lanes. generally cruising along slowly and easily is the best, i love the GTI's or ST's that scream past, and i just ride past them at the next traffic light, so taking it easy no matter what you get through traffic way way faster, and your day is just better as riding a bike makes every one 10 years happier.
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Lurker
    Bike
    Please enter your ride!!!!!
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks guys, will definitely get some proper training and feel it current.

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

before you purchase a bike for yourself, how tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    this will determine what size engine you should be looking at.
    a 90kg person at 6ft would find it challenging to ride a 300cc.
    a 60kg person at 5ft would find it difficult to ride a 1600cc. (that person won't tell you that though)