Thread: Situation guidelines

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Situation guidelines

I was on my way to work today when I during the course of my journey a motorcyclist was traveling with us in a safe manner (I was in my car today). I was behind a vehicle and the motorcyclist was in front of the vehicle, we were turning right. As it happens the motorcyclist during the turn lost traction on the front wheel and went down. The vehicle in front of me swerved to avoid him and we both stopped to help the elderly man pick up his bike and see if he was okay.

This got me thinking on the way to work after the incident, what would be the correct manner to approach and accident and I thought I would ask you guys for advice.

Ride safe.

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

cordon off the road using cones, bright coloured clothing or objects near you, your vehicle with hazards switched on. how about the triangle in your car?

call emergency services.

check the victim is conscious or not. if unconscious I wouldn't move them but wait for?emergency services to arrive. even if it's in your nature to want to assist unless you are properly trained and certified you could end up with litigation from your actions.

if conscious check their state of mind by asking a few basic questions. what's your name? what day is it? who is your emergency contact and what is their number? do you have any pain? where is the pain?

so I have a few questions as well.
    at an accident scene does one remove the victim's helmet? I've heard that you shouldn't.

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Stream View Post
    at an accident scene does one remove the victim's helmet? I've heard that you shouldn't.
    Never, unless you know the method. Paramedics are trained these days to remove a helmet with a method designed to prevent further neck/spine injury should there be any.

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R
    Region
    Gauteng

I would personally leave the helmet on for the paramedics to inspect and to remove incase the is injury to the riders neck, removing the helmet could be fatal. When I had my accident in 2016 I removed my helmet after the collision, which I wasn't really suppose to do, but anyway the paramedics attended to me and took me to hospital, all this time I was moving my head, looking around, but when the doctor sent me for x-rays, I all of a sudden was not allowed to move until the doctor had looked at my x- Ray's and inspected my helmet. I should have been told to lie still and not move when we were at the accident scene. So keep the helmet with the rider even when transported to the hospital.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

["Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"]

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by -Az- View Post
    Never, unless you know the method. Paramedics are trained these days to remove a helmet with a method designed to prevent further neck/spine injury should there be any.
    I went on a course where I received emergency assist training. It takes 2 people who knows what they're doing to remove a helmet in the proper manner.

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R
    Region
    Gauteng

With regards, to helmets, there are quite a few manufactures out, some expensive and some relatively cheap, what would be the general things to consider when buying a new helmet apart from personal preference?

["Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"]

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I have never been one for brands and looks. Most important for me about a helmet is the fit, because I wear it almost every day. Having tried many different brands, the HJC fitted my head the best. Helmets that reputable dealers stock these days are all really compliant with prescribed safety standards, so, for me, it came down to choosing a helmet that fits me comfortably. Seeing that one needs to replace a helmet every 5 years anyways, I was very relieved that a decently priced helmet fitted me so well. The helmet I went with may not necessarily be a helmet that would fit you as comfortably. Best is to go to a dealer with a wide variety and fit them all until you have the best fit. The HJC happened to be a poor fit for my wife. A Spirit helmet was her best fit.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I forgot to mention. I only wear full face helmets.