Thread: A little rant...

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default A little rant...

I commute from Randfontein to Rosebank 5 days of the week, sometimes by car and sometimes on my bike. Now the roads leading to Rosebank and Parktown North are what you would consider suburb roads as they are single lanes. So in some cases you will encounter a double lane at a traffic light, one for turning and one or two to go straight.

I was on Tana road between 13th road and 3rd avenue (M20) approaching the intersection at Tana and 3rd avenue. This is a single lane becoming a double lane for turning right onto the Linden road (M20). It is 07:45 in the morning so it was peak hour traffic. It is a solid line on the road up to the intersection, I was overtaking the cars on the right hand side of the line because with the usual story, motorists cling to the white line to see what the traffic is doing up ahead.
    Now as I am nearing the single to double lane section, a white Volkswagen Polo sedan decides he is going to turn right and turns over the solid line to get into the right turning lane, this was a spur of the moment decision so his indicator light was put on during the turning maneuver. I had to swerve to avoid him missing him by centimeters.

When I did my drivers license it was standard procedure to check your mirrors, indicate and check your mirrors again and if safe to do so, then you can move over. Why majority of motorist forget this procedure amazes me. And this scenario that I have just explained is how my first accident happened, motorist on the spur of the moment made a split second decision to turn and failed to check her mirrors and turned right.

I just had to get this of my chest as it is a huge problem I encounter while commuting by bike on the roads that I travel.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Brandon, I'm just glad that you were able to dodge the bullet. I know that road well. https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-26.1...7i13312!8i6656

Firstly, you ride an awesome bike. My wife rides the 2016-model. Secondly, its best in my view not to pass cars (lane-share) on that particular stretch given the width of the lane and the width of the lane for opposite traffic. Rather stay inside the lane at a safe distance behind traffic until you can safely pass. Once traffic is at a standstill queuing up to the intersection, you can then take your opportunity to filter to the front, BUT, when the lights go green, allow the cars next to you to enter the intersection first (90% chance of a redlight jumper) then pass them when its safe to do so, which of course should present no difficulty given the width of the lane after the intersection. Ride in such a way that you never place your safety at the mercy of another road user. I myself commute Alberton-Rosebank and trust me, the route has its fair share of hot spots. Keep alert and be safe!

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Hitman, I think I will try that riding style, having too many close calls lately.

It is an awesome bike, I got her in April 2015 and she hasn't let me down, just having a slight problem recently with the gearbox not shifting down, I have to release the clutch a bit for it to engage and shift down, but it is going for it's 36 000km service soon.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Ja-nee, as the expression goes: If you experience frequent close calls, you're doing something wrong You have an ideal bike for commuting. Just chill in the traffic and enjoy every ride

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade(Pepper), Gixxer 750(Monica), Daytona 600(She), EX300 (Baby Girl)
    Region
    Gauteng

one of the hardest things ive had to learn on the road, just chill out, ride super easy, be aware of everything, if a car can do something legally or not, it will, to this day one of my biggest fears as i ride through a traffic light, if there are right turners, the classic case is have they seen me, intersection is green and my right is to proceed through, but as you look at the driver edging forward in the eyes, the question is still running through my mind, "have they seen me" and i run through the theory of if they had to pull what would i do, it plagues me every time i ride, same as right turners coming from a road to your left as you ride down the road, they look right at you first, then left to see if any cars are coming, and i go "have you seen me" and i play through the same theory again and again, ive never met a right turner i liked
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Hobbes

It is a good theory to live by which you could also say "is to expect the unexpected". By which, I have sort of bad news, on my way home today, I was at a 4 way stop, but basically, a 4 way stop each with two lanes, I was turning right and the car opposite me to the left was also turning right. We both started turning at the same time and I had to do an emergency stop to avoid this car, as I came to as stop I lost my balance and my bike lent over to the right, I tried with all my strength to stop it from falling, but I wasn't strong enough. I love my bike and try my best to look after it as much as I can, but when it gets damaged like this because of careless motorists, I can't but feel upset. I am okay apart from my pride and dignity and the bent brake lever is a eye sore for me at the moment. What is even more upsetting is as the motorist rode past me in the process of trying to save my bike, he shouted "FALL!", he didn't stop to assist, just drove off. I will continue to be more observant, I was even following Hitman's advice that he gave me and I was enjoying the new outlook on riding. Thank you for your advice, I will continue to improve my riding skills where I can.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
    I was at a 4 way stop, but basically, a 4 way stop each with two lanes
    Here's what I do with 4-way stops: When it's theoretically my turn to enter the intersection, I do so slowly (I often also communicate with motorists by using my hands and hooter) towards the center of the intersection all the while checking that everybody else acknowledges my presence. When I see my way clear (nobody else's is entering), I speed out of the intersection. Do what you can to make your presence and intentions clear to motorists at 4-way stops and act decisively. Sorry about your fall and continue to improve your road strategies