Thread: Schuberth e1 helmet

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda NC700 Integra
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Schuberth e1 helmet

Morning,

I am new to the forum and have read many good and helpful things here. Thumbs up to all.

Please help me with my dilemma.

I bought a Schuberth E1 helmet a few weeks ago from a well-known dealer in PTA. Since the day of purchase, I was not happy with the wind noise level.

With all the vents and the visor closed it sound like you are driving in a vehicle with an open window.

All vents close and open visor sound the same but its not that irritating, maybe because I expect some wind noise with a open visor.

Visor close with only the little flip up vent under the visor open it sounds like you are driving in a vehicle sticking your head out of the window.

Visor and the little flip up vent close with only the top vent (the one where you feel the air on top of your head when it is open) it sounds like you are on the back of an open bakkie.

Visor closed with the little flit up and the top vent open it sounds like you are on the back of a bakkie doing 140 Km/p.

All of the above is when doing highway speed 100 km/p - 120km/h

I called the dealer informing them of my problem and they said to bring the helmet in they will send it to Schuberth agents in JHB. The helmet went back twice already with no success.

Do any of you with the same helmet have any issues with the wind noise irritating you?

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

have been using an E1 for about a year now and a C2 (an E1 is just a C2 with a peak) for several years before that

no problems from my side although the peak can be a bit of a air-brake and can cause turbulence if it is not adjusted properly (I have mine in the max down position as it suits the seating/windscreen geometry on my bike)

all in all, it is a significantly quieter helmet than the Arai X4 I use for dirt riding (which is to be expected because of the increased venting in the Arai)

sounds as if the source of your problem is wind noise from the collar area - have you tried using a buff to limit the amount of airflow/space around the neck? another area to check is to make sure that the modular chin section is properly locked onto the pins when closed - both my E1 and the C2 have occasionally misaligned when closing, leaving a gap between the chin and helmet sections which would cause turbulence/wind noise

you are on a NC and presumably look over (as opposed to through) the windscreen with your helmet in a clean airflow - if possible, try another helmet under the same conditions and do the comparison - also ask the dealer to re-check the fit of the helmet to your head shape/size and adjust the internal padding to ensure a close fit

the Schubert helmets are premium kit with price tags to match and a reputation for being some of the quietest helmets available
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda NC700 Integra
    Region
    Gauteng

No but will defiantly use a buff tomorrow to find out if there is any difference. I look through the screen due to the large screen on the NC, but when I rise myself so that the helmet is in open air with no restrictions the wind noise is even worse.

I used a Nitro flip up before the Schuberth that was very quite. You cannot even compare the two with each other that is why I am so disappointed with the E1.

The helmet went back to Schuberth twice already. Can I insist on a new helmet if they can’t fix this one?

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dup-Dup View Post
    I used a Nitro flip up before the Schuberth that was very quite. You cannot even compare the two with each other that is why I am so disappointed with the E1. Can I insist on a new helmet if they can’t fix this one?
    Doubt it that you would be able to return the helmet unless there is something structurally wrong with the helmet (which I doubt)- caveat emptor - and its up to you to decide on fit-for-purpose when you bought it.

Your previous use of a Nitro seems to suggest that something like a Shoei NeoTec modular might well have been a better fit as they design for oval head shapes as opposed to the intermediate head shapes which Arai and Schuberth base their design on. (I stand to be corrected here so the more knowledgeable on the forum are welcome to correct me). Suggest you visit the dealer and try on a Shoei - not going to help you with wind noise while inside the shop but the general fit should give you a good idea whether it is likely to be quiet on the road.

Hence, I for one cannot use a Shoei even though it is a fantastic piece of kit - the Aria's and Schuberth's however fit me perfectly.

So bottom-line - your best bet seems to be to try and flog the E1 as hardly-used kit - at around R10k retail you are not likely to get a lot of offers and will unfortunately probably be forced to sell a very good helmet (especially for something like marshaling) at a ridiculous give-away price.

I of course take it as a given that you ALWAYS wear earplugs irrespective of the helmet.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm actually curious to know whether there is an acceptable db level for helmets, or are there so many variables that it becomes impossible to guarantee the db? I find riding with my Shark, if I lift my shoulders, the noise is considerably cut at highway speed (I clearly can't ride like that for 300km). There are days too, on the same trip, that the noise level varies whenever I remove the helmet (has to do with how the buff sits, and am yet to work the trick).

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

The only helmet I have come across with an actual noise rating is the Shoei GT Air. I bought a GT Air years ago and it felt like upgrading from a datsun go to an e-class merc. I now refuse to wear anything else.

When it comes to noise I think most people don't know what they don't know until they by chance buy a low noise helmet...

I find it strange that noise level is not always part of standard ratings.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Do retailers allow bikers to test ride a helmet at highway speeds? There is no noticeable wind noise on my innercity commute, but hit the highway, I notice it.

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​