Thread: Considering spares availability

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Considering spares availability

I'm a newbie looking to get my first bike and the Crosby TT400 seems like a good buy. But looking into it a bit more revealed it to be the local flavor of a Chinese bike with a French connection pretending to be British.

The local supplier also seems to be a bit of a small shop, and I'm wondering if servicing it would become an issue 5 years down the line.

What do you recommend? Would it be better to rather just stick with the established brands?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

This is basically what the Europeans know as a Mash. They have been there for years, sell well and get good reviews. From what I have read, here they are also good value for money. The only issue with SA is you may well find yourself without a throat to choke in the future as motorcycle importers tend to come and go like highveld thunderstorms, so it is a risk, but the price is very competitive.

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Do you think getting parts would be an issue if the importer up and goes? Where would one even begin to look?

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RikRik View Post
    Do you think getting parts would be an issue if the importer up and goes? Where would one even begin to look?
    The motor is essentially a rebadged Honda XR400 (and incedently Yamaha SR400 - exact same motor), so getting motor spares should not be an issue.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RikRik View Post
    Impossible to say for sure, but one would guess that if the importers stopped bringing in bikes and parts, parts availability would eventually become a problem. The Crosby importers has been around for many years and may well still be for many years.Personally, I do not believe the fact that the XR400 Honda and SR400 engines could be the same, it will be of much value here in SA.

In the end, it is all about your budget. The Crosby road bike range is very nicely priced and for the price, possibly worth the risk. It all depends on your budget. The Crosby naked road bikes are touching R50k. A 300 BMW is R69k with the 300 Kawa 62 and the 400 Kawa R80k. The Crosby duel sport looks like a really nice bike and is R69k, compared to the 300BMW's R81k and the two Kawas at around R75k - R80k.

How many people ride the same bike for more than 5 years before te itch gets them anyway?

N00b
    Bike
    KTM Duke 790
    Region
    Gauteng

Is there a specific reason to get a new bike? You can get a decent second hand one for same money, even 2019 BMW G310R for under R50k with 1000km on the clock. For a first bike I would seriously look at the second hand market

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gin ( 銀 ) (Honda CBX250 Twister) - before that Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Is there a specific reason to get a new bike? You can get a decent second hand one for same money, even 2019 BMW G310R for under R50k with 1000km on the clock. For a first bike I would seriously look at the second hand market
    +1. Seriously consider a used bike.

This guy gives some great tips for checking out a used bike https://youtu.be/VKGZdsIkLog, but buy one from a reputable dealer and chances are you won't be sorry. I bought a bike with 60 000 kms on it (sort of a reconditioned engine) for a great price, spares are easily and readily available and she's cheap to maintain unless I drop her.

Personally I would stay away from the 400's. Either go for a 250-300 or a 600-800 as a starter. A second-hand Honda NC700 or BMW F800GS would be a great option to consider if you can find them.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager