Thread: Vattenfall Solar Team's NunaX unveiled

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Vattenfall Solar Team's NunaX unveiled

Here she is. Delft University in the Netherlands showing their new car, NunaX with which they will compete in Australia later this year. She is very similar to Nuna 9, but even smaller and lighter.

Last edited by AMZ; 23-07-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

And then there is Red E from the Twente University in the Netherlands. Looks suspiciously like Nuna 9 .....

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

I've always said the McLaren F1 car is a copy of the Redbull F1 car, which I suspect they copied the Ferrari F1's car ;p

Are these cars not built on similar aerodynamic principles AMZ?

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

There are a few principles in play when building these cars, but the two important ones are:

- Aerodynamic principles for sure, but we still get very dissimilar looking cars.
    - Size of solar panels. Nuna9 had only 2,8 m2. Seems NunaX may have a bit less while Red E is at 2,8 m2.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Red E was a copy of Nuna 9, or even Nuna 9 in a new dress. The Dutch have a different approach. They work together, even when competing fiercely.

Consider the University of Eindhoven who never build or raced a solar car. In 2012 they asked their varsity if they could enter in the Cruiser Class in Australia that year. The varsity bosses immediate question was: "You have no experience, how do you want to enter the World Championships in Australia?" The response: No, we will be okay as the Delft (Nuon) Team and the Twente Team have agreed to help us build a car and support us during the race". They won the Cruiser Class in 2013, 2015 and 2017. Their latest car, Lightning One's aerodynamics were designed by the aerodynamics expert of the Delft University team.

As far as aerodynamics go, compare the cars that finished in the top spots in Australia.

First was Delft University with Nuna 9 (which we later saw as Nuna 9s in South Africa.

Second the University of Michigan with Novum. Totally different design.

Third Punch Powertrain with Punch 2. Very similar to what Nuna X would be two years later:

Fourth was Tokai University with their Tokai Challenger. Mono hull, similar to Michigan University.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

It seems, basically confirmed, that we will not see the Vattenfal (ex-Nuon) solar team in South Africa this year. I predicted this at the end of the 2018 SSC and I am very sad to be correct.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    It seems, basically confirmed, that we will not see the Vattenfal (ex-Nuon) solar team in South Africa this year. I predicted this at the end of the 2018 SSC and I am very sad to be correct.
    Very sad as they were the spirit behind the cars.

Do we know why? I know their car was damaged in Australia recently.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    Very sad as they were the spirit behind the cars.

Do we know why? I know their car was damaged in Australia recently.
    They are rebuilding the car and will participate this year, possibly in the Atacama Solar Challenge in Chili.

Why? We can only guess. My personal guess, for eye to eye chat, not a public forum.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Looks like they are competing in the American Solar Challenge this year in July

Source: https://www.vattenfallsolarteam.com/en/race/

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Perhaps the 2 horse race which the South African competition became wasn’t feasible any longer. Sasol would need to attract X3-5 top teams to make the challenge worth it for top teams, otherwise the top teams will find races elsewhere where they can compete.

You shall not talk about sleepwalkers as a conspiracy o suppose 😂