Thread: Budget winter gloves?? Ski gloves ok?

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Budget winter gloves?? Ski gloves ok?

Been getting a bit chilly the last few days. Hands are aching by the time I get to work so looking for a warmer solution.

Any opinion on these, yes I know they not the best protection but I don't really have money to buy a R2000 set of thermal bike gloves.

https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-wa...ski-glove-mens

Bike
    Versys 650
    Region
    Free State

I use a pair similar to these and they help a bit for the cold, but as you said they don’t over any protection.
    What type of distance are you doing in the morning?

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Why don't you just use plastic over your riding gloves? Blocking the wind is key.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

I use a pair of these over my normal leather bike gloves - bought extra large size to accommodate the inner glove - would not use these only for obvious reasons
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

I do roughly 35km in the morning by the time I get to work, my finger tips feel raw, can barely unstrap my helmet and its still not even properly cold yet. Maybe these over my leather riding gloves is an idea. Will take my gloves with when I go try them out.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha XT1200Z
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi

Next time you go to Harties, there is an X-culture shop at the one flee market. look at their gloves i bought a set of winter riding gloves last year for R 300

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Honda Silverwing 600FSC
    Region
    Gauteng

I have a pair of First Ascent Ski gloves which I bought for both warmth in Winter and water-proof in the rain / Summer. I have accident tested them at 100km on the freeway and they work for that too! Just somewhat scuffed now.
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!"

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Terence1983 View Post
    Been getting a bit chilly the last few days. Hands are aching by the time I get to work so looking for a warmer solution.

Any opinion on these, yes I know they not the best protection but I don't really have money to buy a R2000 set of thermal bike gloves.

https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-wa...ski-glove-mens
    You should be able to get reasonable quality winter gloves for much less than R2k. Someone already mentioned the X-Kulcha gloves. As far as budget products go, X-Kulcha is amongst the best. Keep in mind that the cold will eventually get through any glove and then your fingers will hurt. All depends on the temperature and the distance traveled.

- Keep your core body temp up. The reason why our hands start hurting is because your body is shutting down blood flow to the extremities to aid your core temperature.
    - Leave your house already warm! Don't put cold gloves on which has been on the bike in the garage and expect them to warm your hands after you started riding. It won't. When really cold, I get kitted up. Slip my gloves under my jacket so my body heat can start warming them up and then I have my last cuppa.
    - Take a warm bath or shower, get dressed and go. It makes a difference.

Most important! Repeat after me!

"THE COLD IS MY FRIEND! THE COLD IS MY FRIEND!"

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    You should be able to get reasonable quality winter gloves for much less than R2k. Someone already mentioned the X-Kulcha gloves. As far as budget products go, X-Kulcha is amongst the best. Keep in mind that the cold will eventually get through any glove and then your fingers will hurt. All depends on the temperature and the distance traveled.

- Keep your core body temp up. The reason why our hands start hurting is because your body is shutting down blood flow to the extremities to aid your core temperature.
    - Leave your house already warm! Don't put cold gloves on which has been on the bike in the garage and expect them to warm your hands after you started riding. It won't. When really cold, I get kitted up. Slip my gloves under my jacket so my body heat can start warming them up and then I have my last cuppa.
    - Take a warm bath or shower, get dressed and go. It makes a difference.

Most important! Repeat after me!

"THE COLD IS MY FRIEND! THE COLD IS MY FRIEND!"
    LOL I like the mantra. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Maybe il just upgrade to an F650 with heated grips LOL. That is actually a thought at the moment but can unfortunately only happen after winter LOL
    Last edited by Terence1983; 14-06-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spellling error

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Terence1983 View Post
    LOL I like the mantra. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Maybe il just upgrade to an F650 with heated grips LOL. That is actually a thought at the moment but can unfortunately only happen after winter LOL
    You could always just buy a set of hated grips. A few options on the market. Some will last 1 winter, others 10 winters. If you can only afford for 1 winter now, then so be it!

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​