Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gate remotes on a bike

Bike
    Suzuki GSR 600
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Gate remotes on a bike

How do people handle gate remotes while riding? I am currently in the unfortunate position of having one that doesn't fit on my key-ring, so on arriving home, I must stop in the street outside the gate, take a glove off to press the remote button in my pocket, and quickly ride in, sitting on my glove.

Of course I realize that having a remote on my key-ring will improve things, but nearly all remotes have a very tiny button, hard to find and press when wearing winter gloves eg.

I'm surely not the first to think of mounting a remote on my bike, and wiring it up to a nice large button somewhere on my dash or handlebars.

Bike
    BMW F800GS Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ProfK View Post
    How do people handle gate remotes while riding? I am currently in the unfortunate position of having one that doesn't fit on my key-ring, so on arriving home, I must stop in the street outside the gate, take a glove off to press the remote button in my pocket, and quickly ride in, sitting on my glove.

Of course I realize that having a remote on my key-ring will improve things, but nearly all remotes have a very tiny button, hard to find and press when wearing winter gloves eg.

I'm surely not the first to think of mounting a remote on my bike, and wiring it up to a nice large button somewhere on my dash or handlebars.
    I do exactly what you do, only I stuff my glove in my jacket pocket. My spirit explorer jacket can handle a big glove.

I know the R1200gs has neat little cubby hole on top that you can also store stuff in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We tried nothing, and we are all out of ideashttps://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/266184.png

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

I do the same, minus the glove removal and sitting on them. Luckily i can operate the zip for the pocket and fiddle around for the remote without removing a glove.

Maybe make a remote copy (with larger button) for the bike and stuff it onto the bike keyring? <- What i'm thinking to do.

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade(Pepper), Gixxer 750(Monica), Daytona 600(She)
    Region
    Gauteng

Try this mod for your bike
    https://youtu.be/8dR6t2zCLaA

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha XT1200Z
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Hobbs

Brilliant system, i had it as well, but i found the operating system to be a bit temperamental.......

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DewaldB View Post
    Hi Hobbs

Brilliant system, i had it as well, but i found the operating system to be a bit temperamental.......
    Mine is canine operated, dogs bark, SWAMBO opens.

Bike
    Suzuki GSR 600
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    My spirit explorer jacket can handle a big glove.
    Exactly the same jacket but my pockets are full of other stuff. Maybe I must just get more organized and keep a pocket open. Less chance of dropping a glove.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyone heard of this http://flick-it.co.za/?
    Saw it in the June Superbike Magazine while waiting for new tyres.

It was advertised in the magazine for R699.

Bike
    Suzuki GSR 600
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Try this mod for your bike
    https://youtu.be/8dR6t2zCLaA

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I need such a mod in my life first

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

mailed them to contact me but haven't heard from them yet
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Bike
    BMW K1200S Indigo Blue; KTM 390 Duke
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    mailed them to contact me but haven't heard from them yet
    I also mailed them few weeks ago. No response either ...
    "Friendship is like peeing in your pants -- everybody can see it .... but only you can feel the true warmth "

Cheeky!
    Bike
    Kawazaki Er6n
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post
    I do the same, minus the glove removal and sitting on them. Luckily i can operate the zip for the pocket and fiddle around for the remote without removing a glove.

Maybe make a remote copy (with larger button) for the bike and stuff it onto the bike keyring? <- What i'm thinking to do.
    Not ideal to add things to your key as this will start damaging the ignition, does take a while to do but not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I have seen the Flick-it been demonstrated and it appears to work well, didn't inquire about the product, as the reservation I have is its like leaving your remote in the car, making it easy for a thief to drive off with your vehicle / bike.

I have the frustration of dealing with two different remotes, so I have them on a bunch of keys and have connected the remotes with a chain and have the remotes hanging out my pocket of my easy overs, giving easy access when approaching the gates. Their is the risk of the remotes falling off but 6 yrs later, I haven't had the misfortune yet. Hope Karma skips this post

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

I must say having a tankbag really helps here (or handlebar bag). The one side pocket is used for my house keys which has the gate remote on. And even with my winter gloves, which by the way looks more like oven mitts, I can open the zip and remove the remote and press it.

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Look at what this guy did....

https://www.stavros.io/posts/making-...-remote-mount/

I am thinking of maybe printing something as well and then just transplanting my remote innards... Could be worth while.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

- Take 1 remote.
    - Remove battery.
    - Bridge button to be always on.
    - Run wire from remote battery negative contact to bike ground.
    - Wire one live wire from brights flasher to remote battery positive.
    - Stick remote somewhere inside fairing, behind tank, wherever.

Voila! Remote works when brights are flashed.

Note: If bike uses modern canbus type stuff, mount a switch on the handle bar somewhere instead of using bright flasher.

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    - Take 1 remote.
    - Remove battery.
    - Bridge button to be always on.
    - Run wire from remote battery negative contact to bike ground.
    - Wire one live wire from brights flasher to remote battery positive.
    - Stick remote somewhere inside fairing, behind tank, wherever.

Voila! Remote works when brights are flashed.
    Sounds good! You mean like this: https://www.instructables.com/id/Ins...-to-Motorcycl/

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Not ideal to add things to your key as this will start damaging the ignition, does take a while to do but not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I have seen the Flick-it been demonstrated and it appears to work well, didn't inquire about the product, as the reservation I have is its like leaving your remote in the car, making it easy for a thief to drive off with your vehicle / bike.

I have the frustration of dealing with two different remotes, so I have them on a bunch of keys and have connected the remotes with a chain and have the remotes hanging out my pocket of my easy overs, giving easy access when approaching the gates. Their is the risk of the remotes falling off but 6 yrs later, I haven't had the misfortune yet. Hope Karma skips this post
    Yeah, that's why i usually don't attach anything to my car or bike keys.
    Was gonna pop by builders or something and see if they have any small, light, and rubberised single button gate remotes - doubtul, but wouldnt hurt to look.
    If they don't have, well, fiddling in pockets or leg bag is fine for me.

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

IMG_20190612_142606_0_1.jpgI have a belt clip for my remote for work and wear it under my easyovers, I just press through the material to activate.

Biker
    Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

I've just gotten used to keeping my remote in the same place on me
    all the time, I have plenty of pockets wearing my gear. It's
    certainly not smooth though. I just make sure I'm not waiting in the
    street while I'm otherwise busy and distracted with that.

I'm also concerned with keeping a bunch of keys on me like that too,
    it's worth considering if they're a bit more dangerous in an
    accident, they might be sharp and solid.

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

When I still did the road riding thing I stuck velcro to the fairing of my bike and the back of my gate remote.
    Roll up towards the gate and push the button, stop inside and pull the remote off of the bike and head in.

I have a 3D printer now, so if you'd like something made up drop me a message.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...