Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for all daily commuters

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Question for all daily commuters

Hi fellow riders,

I'm in the market for a new helmet. I've had four in my time as a commuter. All of them rather on the cheap side. Shark Skwal, Airoh movement S, Scorpion EXO air and Bell Qualifier. I've never really been impressed with any of them. If it's not too heavy it's too stuffy inside or too airy or fogs up like a son of a... Anyways I've looked at a few helmets between R6000 and R7500, but would like to find out what you guys, that also ride everyday, wear and what you think of your helmets?
    Considerimg things like: Comfort, airflow, non airflow during cold winter mornings, anti fog, sun visor and so on.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I wear HJC for everyday riding

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I wear HJC for everyday riding

Which HJC? And are you satisfied with it?

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoe View Post
    Which HJC? And are you satisfied with it?
    CS-15

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Very satisfied with it

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Shark Skwal, happy with mine.

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Shark Skwal, happy with mine.

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    I've had the shark Skwal as well. Loved the nice dark sun visor, good airflow and good seal around the face shield for those cold winter months. What I didn't like was the weight of the helmet and the interior started coming undone after a year.

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

HJC FG-ST with Pinlock insert.
    5 star rated and has nice grooves for wearers of spectacles, could be quieter though.

Most important is that whatever helmet you get fits you properly.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I ride with a Shark Evoline Series 3. The helmet has been discontinued with the Shark Evo One 2 superseding it, although it is still available.

It is a modular so heavy, but then I have ridden comfortably for 9 hours without feeling the effect.
    It has only 2 vents. Chin vent and a temple vent. Can't say if I feel any difference with the temple vent closed or open.
    Not enough airflow in summer so it gets hot. Visor fogs up at anything and you can't put in a pinlock visor. It is loud -- this is the only helmet I have ridden with so can't really compare.

The drop down sun visor is useful and dark. I do find it a comfortable fit. I do like the fact that it is certified as an open face/jet configuration for slow speed summer riding, and the full face for higher speeds. Eye port is wide enough for my vision. No problem with glasses, except for the fogging.

I am also in the market for another helmet, retiring the evoline after 4 years, and the Evo One 2 is on my list. As are the Spirit helmets as a cost sensitive option.

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by zaFroggy View Post
    I am also in the market for another helmet, retiring the evoline after 4 years, and the Evo One 2 is on my list. As are the Spirit helmets as a cost sensitive option.
    I really like the idea of a modular helmet, but must say it's not really in the top requirements when buying a helmet. My requirements are: Pinlock, drop down sun visor, good ventilation, good seal around the visor and closed vents to keep the winter chills and summer rains out, and it shouldn't be too heavy. I think I have found my next helmet: Shark Spartan.

Lurker
    Bike
    New
    Region
    Gauteng

what about composite fibre glass vs polycarbonate, as I understand it. Composite fibre glass shatters, whereas polycarbonate cracks.
    Composite fibre glass buckets giving much more impact protection?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ecorider View Post
    what about composite fibre glass vs polycarbonate, as I understand it. Composite fibre glass shatters, whereas polycarbonate cracks.
    Composite fibre glass buckets giving much more impact protection?
    The best is to check how the helmet stacks up in the British Government's Helmet Rating system. A 4-Star is a 4-Star regardless of the material used to make it. Remember that impact protection is not the most important, but rather dissipating of g-forces.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The best is to check how the helmet stacks up in the British Government's Helmet Rating system. A 4-Star is a 4-Star regardless of the material used to make it. Remember that impact protection is not the most important, but rather dissipating of g-forces.

I second that. DOT is outdated, SNELL and ECE are reasonable but Sharp runs independent tests and updates the procedure fairly recently.

Lurker
    Bike
    New
    Region
    Gauteng

Got you...thanks will do

Lurker
    Bike
    New
    Region
    Gauteng

I second that. DOT is outdated, SNELL and ECE are reasonable but Sharp runs independent tests and updates the procedure fairly recently.
    Wow I didnt know that....great to know. this is truly a great forum and community. Thanks all

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

USA DOT is useless as they do not test helmets prior to awarding their approval.
    I would avoid SNELL as well as they put too much importance on shell hardness.
    ECE is the absolute minimum requirement for any helmet you are planning to buy.
    Sharp is the only one who actually looked at the type and severity of head injuries suffered by bikers and then designed their test around that. I cannot see a helmet without ECE approval, getting a single star at Sharp.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

The best is to check how the helmet stacks up in the British Government's Helmet Rating system. A 4-Star is a 4-Star regardless of the material used to make it. Remember that impact protection is not the most important, but rather dissipating of g-forces.https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/
    This is exactly why I wear an HJC CS-15: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...l=CS-15&type=2

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Third or fourth this.
    Mine was 5 starred on Sharp, which was one of the main reason for getting it: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-fg-st/

Sure, manufacturers have to apparently pay Sharp to test their helmets, that's why not ALL helmets will be listed, but that's not a bad thing at all.

And just FYI, DOT rating explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUyp3HX8cY

Bike
    BMW R Nine T
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    This is exactly why I wear an HJC CS-15: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...l=CS-15&type=2
    I really considered the CS-15 after you mentioned it. It's just a shame about it not having a drop down sun visor. Had a helmet without it. Was a schlep to ride around with a dark visor for the afternoons home...

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoe View Post
    I really considered the CS-15 after you mentioned it. It's just a shame about it not having a drop down sun visor. Had a helmet without it. Was a schlep to ride around with a dark visor for the afternoons home...
    I alternate between spectacles and sunglasses, so I have no need for sun visor