Thread: Intro

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Intro

Hi All,

Always been a car guy, but I am now bored of my project and have decided to sell the car and rather buy a bike. It has always been something that I wanted and it seems that the time is now here.

Being a technically minded person, I am trying to do as much research as possible but the one thing that I need an answer to (Hoping that some of the guru's will shed some light here) is, Why is a bike with high mileage, although it has full service history, considered to be a bad choice? I have somewhat of an idea, but I am not totally convinced.

I have been looking a few bikes, between 450 - 600cc, but was hoping to get some recommendations from the community. The bike will be used mainly for commuting and I am 85 kg's at a height of 1.6 ish meters.

Thanks in Advance guys and gals.
    K

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I can recommend Fire it Up if you are looking to buy a used motorcycle. http://www.fireitup.co.za/

I suspect your question of a high mileage bike will attract a variety of different opinions. Personally, I will only shop a used bike with mileage under 10,000 km.

Having regard to your weight and length, I would suggest that you look for a nice "all rounder" bike, which is suitable for daily commuting, road trips and playing around with: (1) Kawasaki Z650 (2) Honda CBR 500R or even the 600cc ranges (3) Yamaha MT-07 (4) Suzuki GSX-R600.

Good luck bike hunting and follow my rule before you buy: TEST RIDE.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome

I bought a bike with 30K KM on the clock and have not had much trouble. It depends on the previous riders and how the bike was maintained. Depending on the style of bike. A super sport bike I would be wary of a high miler but an adventure bike not so much. Bought the first bike new and the second mentioned above.

Depending on your experience level. Some of the smaller bikes are fairly fun to ride and teach you a lot. Look at the Twister 250. BMW RG310, Kawazaki Ninja, etc

The Zontes 300 looks like a very good value for money.

Experienced riders look at the Honda NC750 series. built as a pure commuter but a lot of fun to ride

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome guys

I will definately have a look at your suggestions.

@Hitman, can you provide me with a link or perhaps a short list of what to look for while test riding? I see you are in Alberton, so am I ... Can you recommend anyone that I can use for lessons?

Point taken @zaFroggy, will keep that in mind.

Any reviews/thoughts on the Honda CBF600? Saw two for sale, one with 10 000km (2012) and the other with 20 000km (2012).

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The Honda CBF600, both the CBF600N and CBF600S are great bikes and I seriously doubt anyone would be disappointed by them. Colyvon here rode a CBF600S to the vicinity of 100 000km problem free before he sold it. A few other of our members had one, or the other and I cannot remember anyone, ever having the slightest issue of complaint. 10 000 - 20 000km for a well cared for CBF is nothing.

There are quite a few great training academies around such as the Synergy Racing Academy run by one of our own. The BMW Rider Training Academy and others.
    Last edited by AMZ; 05-06-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi,

Fire It Up in Fourways and Linex Yamaha in Randburg only require a valid learner's license to test ride their bikes. Both dealers make you sign an indemnity form and advise you that you will be liable for their insurance excess payment should you crash the bike during the test ride.

For riding lessons, I can recommend B-Mer: https://www.facebook.com/bmer123/ (ask for Chene Blom).

My opinion of the Honda CBF600 is that it makes for an excellent starter bike. A good all-rounder and very fuel economic. Just make sure you do your due diligence when purchasing a used motorcycle. If it was me, I would want the owner to take the bike to a Honda technician or motorcycle mechanics expert to inspect the motorcycle properly before purchasing it.

Where in Alberton are you?

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The Honda CBF600, both the CBF600N and CBF600S are great bikes and I seriously doubt anyone would be disappointed by them. Colyvon here rode a CBF600S to the vicinity of 100 000km problem free before he sold it. A few other of our members had one, or the other and I cannot remember anyone, ever having the slightest issue of complaint. 10 000 - 20 000km for a well cared for CBF is nothing.

There are quite a few great training academies around such as the Synergy Racing Academy run by one of our own. The BMW Rider Training Academy and others.
    Thanks for the reply @AMZ, glad to hear the positivity around the bike, and thanks for the suggestion

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Hi,

Fire It Up in Fourways and Linex Yamaha in Randburg only require a valid learner's license to test ride their bikes. Both dealers make you sign an indemnity form and advise you that you will be liable for their insurance excess payment should you crash the bike during the test ride.

For riding lessons, I can recommend B-Mer: https://www.facebook.com/bmer123/ (ask for Chene Blom).

My opinion of the Honda CBF600 is that it makes for an excellent starter bike. A good all-rounder and very fuel economic. Just make sure you do your due diligence when purchasing a used motorcycle. If it was me, I would want the owner to take the bike to a Honda technician or motorcycle mechanics expert to inspect the motorcycle properly before purchasing it.

Where in Alberton are you?
    Thanks again bud, will check them out.

I am in Verwoerdpark.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

[QUOTE I am in Verwoerdpark.[/QUOTE]

So am I

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice man, we should meet for a beer soon.

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

So I have been presented with an offer from a mate at work as follows: 2014 NC750XD, in prestine condition with FSH and 91000km on the clock. Spoke to a wonderful guy at Honda and he reckons that given the choice between the above mentioned CBF600s and the NC750, he would chose the NC750 because they were apparently very good bikes and those engines can go another 90K kms.

Seriously considering it.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

take it for a ride
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    take it for a ride
    Wish I could, but I sadly dont have a learners permit nor a licence. I am however working on it now.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by koganm View Post
    So I have been presented with an offer from a mate at work as follows: 2014 NC750XD, in prestine condition with FSH and 91000km on the clock. Spoke to a wonderful guy at Honda and he reckons that given the choice between the above mentioned CBF600s and the NC750, he would chose the NC750 because they were apparently very good bikes and those engines can go another 90K kms.

Seriously considering it.
    I cannot fault the NC750 either. Bullet proof as well. The NC is basically using half a car engine, so it should last for a very long time. Keep in mind that at 91 000km it is not all that wears and stuff like shocks, brake discs, etc. could also be an expensive fix. I am not saying don't buy it. At the right price it could be a very good buy. Just be aware that there may be other costs coming within the near future.

The NC and CBF are very different bikes. Both brilliant in what they do and a difficult choice. Have fun making it.

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    I cannot fault the NC750 either. Bullet proof as well. The NC is basically using half a car engine, so it should last for a very long time. Keep in mind that at 91 000km it is not all that wears and stuff like shocks, brake discs, etc. could also be an expensive fix. I am not saying don't buy it. At the right price it could be a very good buy. Just be aware that there may be other costs coming within the near future.

The NC and CBF are very different bikes. Both brilliant in what they do and a difficult choice. Have fun making it.
    Thanks for the advice @AMZ.

I have actually already made my choice and will be going for the NC. I am getting the bike at a very good price and more importantly since I work with the guy, I trust him.

Will be concluding the deal today and will post a few pics later.

Regards
    K

N00b
    Bike
    NC750XD
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks to each and every one of you for the advise and feedback. As mentioned, I decided to get the NC750 and I am very happy with the bike. See pics below:
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-06-07 at 16.19.22 (1).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-06-07 at 16.19.22 (2).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-06-07 at 16.19.22 (3).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.3 KB

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Looks great. Congrats and have many a great smile generating ride.

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Congrats, looks great, wishing you many safe s(miles)

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Congrats! Another Verwoerdpark motorcyclist. PM me and we lets arrange a ride together

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by zaFroggy View Post
    Look at the Twister 250. BMW RG310, Kawazaki Ninja, etc

The Zontes 300 looks like a very good value for money.

Experienced riders look at the Honda NC750 series. built as a pure commuter but a lot of fun to ride
    Welcome

This I can confirm. The Twister 250 is an excellent bike (if you can get your hands on one). I've done 130 on one easily, (don't tell Hobbes) and have to remind myself the Twister has almost double the power than the 125cc I'm currently riding. I was also recently looking at the BMW R310r or R310GS (same bike essentially, just a different body). If you've never had any experience, and depending on your cash flow, I'd rather go for a 300CC class bike (like the 300CC Ninja, BMW or CBR, etc.). If you do feel the 300 class is too boring for you, I've been on a Honda CB400 (grey import, don't do it) and a Suzuki GSXR740. Both kinda blew my mind, and I understand the rush. For safety purposes, I won't get a 600cc class bike unless it's an NC or GS (at least not yet...)

I'm 1.75 @ +- 75kg and found the Honda NC750 I was looking at felt a little tall for me, though I wouldn't mind taking one for a test ride.

When it comes to second hand bikes, the more sportier bikes tend to have higher RPM's on a regular basis than the more commuter/touring bikes. If you ride a car at 12000rpm consistently the engine will only last so long... The NC750X I think has a redline at 6500 RPM, which makes it's engine much more like a car, albeit still a single cylinder. Good bikes are kept by good owners. Great info in this video: https://youtu.be/VKGZdsIkLog

I can also recommend B-Mer riding school in Kempton. Chene knows what she's talking about.
    Last edited by Pirate; 19-06-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Premature posting...
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager