Thread: Storing / Parking Advice

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Comment Storing / Parking Advice

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this in, but please move it if needs be.

I am trying to find a solution to parking my motorcycle at night. We only have a single garage and when the car is parked, it is quite tight to get
    the bike squished in beside it. What do the rest of you do? I don't mind parking outside, but would need some kind of shelter that isn't too permanent
    as security complex rules are a *****.

I currently park the bike on a wheel chock to keep it straight and then try and maneuver the bike past the car to get out. Both vehicles are used at different
    times of the day and parking one behind the other will just cause headaches.

What do you guys think? Any bright ideas?

Thank you!!

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I am in a similar position

You do get motorcycle covers that work reasonably well for a season or two. You do need somewhere close to store it especially if it gets wet overnight. I have just accepted that the bike stands outside overnight. Not that I want it to but no space in the garage for more than than just the cage.

Will be monitoring this for any other ideas.

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zaFroggy View Post
    I am in a similar position

You do get motorcycle covers that work reasonably well for a season or two. You do need somewhere close to store it especially if it gets wet overnight. I have just accepted that the bike stands outside overnight. Not that I want it to but no space in the garage for more than than just the cage.

Will be monitoring this for any other ideas.
    I feel your pain. I was thinking of bolting the chock to the concrete outside (locking the wheel with a lock as well) and then just using one of those cheap motorcycle covers.. But uuuurggh.. Maybe someone else can give us some guidance ;)

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

When we moved into our townhouse, which has a single garage and a carport, I told my wife that it is called a carport for a reason, for parking cars. The garage was designated the bike parking.😁

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    When we moved into our townhouse, which has a single garage and a carport, I told my wife that it is called a carport for a reason, for parking cars. The garage was designated the bike parking.😁

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

When we moved into our townhouse, which has a single garage and a carport, I told my wife that it is called a carport for a reason, for parking cars. The garage was designated the bike parking.
    Logic is undeniable!

N00b
    Bike
    KTM Duke 790
    Region
    Gauteng

Will something like this not work?

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1451310181592245&_rdr

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Hmm, that could maybe do the job of getting the bike past tight spaces. Wonder if something like that is available locally.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Roadque is in Silverton

If you have the space in the garage

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

N00b
    Bike
    KTM Duke 790
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel18 View Post
    Hmm, that could maybe do the job of getting the bike past tight spaces. Wonder if something like that is available locally.
    Made by RoadQue in Silverton, Pretoria

N00b
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zaFroggy View Post
    Roadque is in Silverton

If you have the space in the garage

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    I already use a chock in the garage, but getting in next to the bike or dismounting is a mission. Maybe with one of these I can pull the bike straight and then turn at a 90 to park in front of the car. I will see if I can get one that has a chock welded to the front and that is available in Namibia

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade(Pepper), Gixxer 750(Monica), Daytona 600(She), EX300 (Baby Girl)
    Region
    Gauteng

I used to pull cage as far forward as possible in the evenings, and then slid the bike in behind it, so the bike sits laterally bind the cage and then the door just closes, ran a tennis ball on a piece of rope and tied it to the roof strut so the cage knew where to stop, and then just pulled bike in behind it,
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

X-Ramp glider possibly?

https://www.xramp.co.za/

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

When we moved into our townhouse, which has a single garage and a carport, I told my wife that it is called a carport for a reason, for parking cars. The garage was designated the bike parking.
    You are a truly lucky man Colin.
    Even luckier that her reply was not “hmm is it not a ‘Man Cave’. Here is your blanket. Now off you go...”
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Snow White? Not quite.

Bike
    BMW G310R
    Region
    Gauteng

We live in a complex....... Bikes go under carport...... cars fend for themselves in visitors bays.
    All comments are my opinion - use it or don't: Unless specified it is not officially endorsed by Think Bike Marshaling