Thread: Powder Coating in Cape Town

Lurker
    Bike
    Harley Davidson 2008 Sportster 1200C
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Powder Coating in Cape Town

Hi All,
    Is anyone able to recommend a place that could sand blast and powder coat a spoked wheel from a Sportster?
    Mine is starting to corrode and I'd like to have the chrome stripped and powder coated.

If they would be able to remove the wheel themselves and put it back on that would be ideal as I dont have a garage to store the bike while the wheels in the shop.
    Thanks!

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

From what I know that looks like a 2 company job. Send it to a place that works on motorcycles and then get them to take off rear wheel and you then organise a place to do the powder coating. Would powder coating be the right move though? Why did you choose this path? Isn't it a bit hazzardous to cook your wheel? Would it not unbalance it?

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

I assume powder coating is the path you choose because chroming is so dam expensive.

I'd say the cost is more than justified. If you powder coat a spoked wheel then the paint WILL chip off where the spokes meet the hub as soon as stress is applied to it and then it''ll just look nasty and be unprotected.

You will have to remove the spokes from the hub to do it properly and I'm sure a Bike garage has some low skill helper to do something like that first, I believe it's tedious as hell to do but not hard. If you do them all separately then I don't know how well the finish will be or how long they would last once re attached to the hub. Another way to go might be to replace the spokes entirely and just do the hub, tho I don't know how well this would work either, but probably best in my opinion.

There is a solid reason why chroming is done in the first place, paint doesn't stick well to flexing or moving parts.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

If as Spectaitor says, it is a wire spoke wheel, you should not powder coat it, but if it is the spoked mag wheel, rather take it to one of the rim refurbishers and let them do it for you.
    If it is a wire spoke wheel, just get it re- spoked with stainless steel spokes. Any DECENT bike shop should be able to do this for you.
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!