Thread: Spectaitor the newbie forumite.

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Smile Spectaitor the newbie forumite.

Hey guys

I'm new, found this forum whille looking at all things bike related. I have decided to get my two wheels at the end of this year so slowely getting the gear ready.

Been stalking this forum for a while as well as others and notice that it's actually really quiet compared to anything else I've found, is this the norm?

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome

Be safe out on the road. Training and good gear make all the difference.

Forums are on the decline. There are some hold outs but a lot of people have moved to facebook, twitter and instagram. There is a lot of knowledge ingrained on forums so take a while to browse round and comment where you can.

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Feels bad.

Doesn't matter though because I've found so much stuff in the better biking section that I haven't been able to really find anywhere else. There really is a wealth of knowledge here waiting to be absorbed.

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome and congrats on starting your biking journey off in the most sensible direction!

I'd just like to add that training should be continuous though, ie. beginner training and every now and then to polish and sharpen riding skills and knowledge

Yeah, its happening with all forums unfortunately.
    Social media is way simpler/quicker to get information versus forums - no separate sign ups/registrations, larger global audience, etc.

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post
    Welcome and congrats on starting your biking journey off in the most sensible direction!

I'd just like to add that training should be continuous though, ie. beginner training and every now and then to polish and sharpen riding skills and knowledge

Yeah, its happening with all forums unfortunately.
    Social media is way simpler/quicker to get information versus forums - no separate sign ups/registrations, larger global audience, etc.
    Thank you, I've seen a fair many tips like that, practising your emergency stops every so often so the feeling isn't that alien when you do it in a rush etc. I'm fairly obsessed with it so theoretically I know what to do so all that needs doing is practising being a better biker. Soon soon

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Spectaitor View Post
    Thank you, I've seen a fair many tips like that, practising your emergency stops every so often so the feeling isn't that alien when you do it in a rush etc. I'm fairly obsessed with it so theoretically I know what to do so all that needs doing is practising being a better biker. Soon soon
    Hi welcome I realized yesterday how important practicing your emergency stops are. I locked up the rear wheel when a taxi decided it needs to suddenly stop for no reason. I am looking at doing an riding course soon.

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Any clue what a riding course costs on average? Are there different skill level courses?

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

You can get an idea of cost here

https://www.synergyracing.co.za/book/book-k53/

Biker
    Bike
    2012 CBR600F
    Region
    Western Cape

the rear?? front is far far more efficent

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by capetownbandit View Post
    the rear?? front is far far more efficent
    I have a lot to still learn

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by CHouse View Post
    I have a lot to still learn
    Best to learn in a controlled environment, so you can handle the unexpected. I've been riding since '82 and I will still take every training opportunity that comes my way.

Biker
    Bike
    2012 CBR600F
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Best to learn in a controlled environment, so you can handle the unexpected. I've been riding since '82 and I will still take every training opportunity that comes my way.
    Couldn't agree more with Colyvon... what bike are you riding currently?

I

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by capetownbandit View Post
    Couldn't agree more with Colyvon... what bike are you riding currently?

I
    I got a 2014 MotoMia/Loncin TerraStrada 250 last year November. I love riding the bike and I am starting to rather take the bike instead of the cage for all my short trips.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I got a 2014 MotoMia/Loncin TerraStrada 250 last year November. I love riding the bike and I am starting to rather take the bike instead of the cage for all my short trips.
    It sneaks up on you like that. I have done almost double on the bike than in the cage over the last 2 years

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by zaFroggy View Post
    It sneaks up on you like that. I have done almost double on the bike than in the cage over the last 2 years
    Got my first bike back in '82, from then until now, apart from a three year break, I have used the bike for everyday commuting and weekend runarounds unless I had to carry something large. Why would I want to sit in traffic?

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Also use my bike over the cage any day of the week. The wife has agreed to be pillion more often for shorter trips to save on fuel costs.

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Trying to figure out wether to buy a nice bike, kawa ninja, or a cheapie commuter big boy or something.

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Trying to figure out wether to buy a nice bike, kawa ninja, or a cheapie commuter big boy or something.
    What will the bike be used for just commuting?

N00b
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Commuting yes, but new rider so lots of learning too. Not wanting to be tied to finance either if i want to trade up in a year. I want riding to be my sort of hobby.

Edit, commute is about 3km each way so nothing spectacular.

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Commuting yes, but new rider so lots of learning too. Not wanting to be tied to finance either if i want to trade up in a year. I want riding to be my sort of hobby.

Edit, commute is about 3km each way so nothing spectacular.
    I also only do a short 2km commute. The MotoMia was very cheap and I have been very happy with it. The bike is fast enough for my daily use and my current skill level. Once I have done a course and had some more practice I will look at the CBX250. My brother used it for commuting between Centurion and Menyln and he was very happy with the bike.