Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Recommended Commuter Age

  1. #1
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    353

    Default Recommended Commuter Age

    I'm itching to buy ATGATT for my daughter and start commuting with her.

    What would the signs of "readiness" be?
    Let's for a moment forget the dangers of BMW drivers on their cellphone to the ear even though they have Bluetooth capabilities in their imported Roseline built cars.

    Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  2. #2
    Hooligan Biker

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Law seems to suggest that can the pillion place feet on the pillion pegs.

    Maybe look at something like this https://bikegear.co.za/product/motor...safety-system/

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaFroggy View Post
    Law seems to suggest that can the pillion place feet on the pillion pegs.

    Maybe look at something like this https://bikegear.co.za/product/motor...safety-system/

    Good luck
    I like this kit! Ironic how the law is vague in certain regards hey.

  4. #4
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,004

    Default

    As long as her feet is firmly on the foot pegs, it would be legal. I believe, if she is keen, you have the kit and her feet touches, go for it.

  5. #5
    Biker
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    I like this kit! Ironic how the law is vague in certain regards hey.
    As far as inexpensive alternatives go, I made myself one of these using a length of nylon strap, stitched it in a loop, which, when twisted once creates a figure 8. The intersection or "X" of the 8 goes on your back, with your arms going through the 2 loops. Cheap and easy...

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Biker
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I find the law specifically vague regarding helmets... It just says you need to be wearing a suitable helmet

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KarelNC View Post
    As far as inexpensive alternatives go, I made myself one of these using a length of nylon strap, stitched it in a loop, which, when twisted once creates a figure 8. The intersection or "X" of the 8 goes on your back, with your arms going through the 2 loops. Cheap and easy...

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk
    Please do share a pic KarelNC for the non creative mind.
    Hacks are always fantastic!

    Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

  8. #8
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KarelNC View Post
    I find the law specifically vague regarding helmets... It just says you need to be wearing a suitable helmet

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk
    Just be careful for that word "suitable". It does not appear in the National Road Traffic Act. What the Act states is:

    Quote Originally Posted by NRTA
    Reg 207. Compulsory wearing of protective helmet

    (1) No person shall drive or be a passenger on a motor cycle, motor tricycle or a motor quadrucycle, or be a passenger in the side-car attached to a motor cycle, on a public road, unless he or she is wearing a protective helmet

    (a) which is specially designed for use in connection with such cycle; and

    (b) which fits him or her properly and of which the chin strap is properly fastened under the chin.
    Last edited by AMZ; 26-04-2019 at 01:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Snow White? Not quite.

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Bike
    Kawasaki 300 Ninja
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Nathan is 10 (his birthday today). He has a proper shark helmet that we bought at Motomate. He rides with MX kit under his offroad pants (also Motomate). We found a ladies xs jacket at a pawn shop (brand new). We initially bought him boots that cover the ankle, but he has since claimed my new boots as he wears the same size as me. He has been on the back of my bike since he was about 6 or seven........ he is very tall so he reached the pegs at that age. He prefers to ride with his dad on the triumph....... we will not force him onto the RR as he does not like that bike. We have also bought Bluetooth kits for all the helmets, but he has learned to use hand signals to communicate.
    All comments are my opinion - use it or don't: Unless specified it is not officially endorsed by Think Bike Marshaling

  10. #10
    Biker
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Please do share a pic KarelNC for the non creative mind.
    Hacks are always fantastic!

    Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Sorry for the delayed response!
    So the first pic is the handle I made for my son to grab onto. The NC's cubby is convenient to loop it around.

    Second pic is of the strap. A simple looped strap, twisted once and voila...

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Lightship Captain
    WBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Howick / Kyalami
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    6,969

    Default

    Great thread.

    Looks like the yellow tee shirt could be (should be) a Think Bike one...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

  12. #12
    Hooligan Biker
    Ntjamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern westerly side
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KarelNC View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response!
    So the first pic is the handle I made for my son to grab onto. The NC's cubby is convenient to loop it around.

    Second pic is of the strap. A simple looped strap, twisted once and voila...

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk
    Nice! Love the feedback one would get with that strap.

  13. #13
    Biker
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    Great thread.

    Looks like the yellow tee shirt could be (should be) a Think Bike one...
    Haha, never even thought of it!

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Biker
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Nice! Love the feedback one would get with that strap.
    I really like the manufactured ones with handles and all, but with this strap, I can feel immediately once my daughter has let go...

    Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •