Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct Puncture Repair

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Correct Puncture Repair

What is the correct method of repairing a puncture in the dead center of a rear tyre? Plug or patch from inside? As far as I know a plug is a temporary fix until you can get it patched. Is this correct and true?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzster View Post
    What is the correct method of repairing a puncture in the dead center of a rear tyre? Plug or patch from inside? As far as I know a plug is a temporary fix until you can get it patched. Is this correct and true?

Personally, I'd do as exactly per your question, plug temporarily and take it easy. Do proper patch ASAP. A rear tyre is crucial and not something I'd take shortcuts on

Samsung, Note 9, using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Perfect. Thanks. I would imagine that a "Mushroom plug" is a plug as the name suggests? I specifically asked the dealership to patch and not plug and now I see that they used a mushroom plug. How hard can it be to give the customer what they want

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

Linux Yamaha repaired a puncture on a tubeless rear tyre with a mushroom plug a few years ago - stripped the tyre off and inserted the plug - the workshop guy said that he is happy to do it that way because it is a high-speed rated tyre and a heavy bike (R1200R) - he could probably (correctly) surmise that I tend to go quick

Ran the bike with that plug repair without any hassles until it was time for tyre replacement.

Have also done my own road-side repairs with a Stop-n-Go mushroom plug kit - again, ran the tyre thereafter up to replacement. Cytech recommends the Stop-n-Go kit for their cross-country rides and I must admit that I think that there is no problem with a decent mushroom plug repair instead of the patch that you wanted.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

TB's WebMaster
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 1000
    Region
    Gauteng

Perfect. Thanks. I would imagine that a "Mushroom plug" is a plug as the name suggests? I specifically asked the dealership to patch and not plug and now I see that they used a mushroom plug. How hard can it be to give the customer what they want
    A mushroom plug is basically a patch (the head of the mushroom) with a plug (the stalk of the mushroom) that goes into the hole. It is the generally accepted way of repairing a puncture. http://www.bridgestone.co.in/PlugMethod.aspx (For a car tyre, but exactly the same principle)

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

A mushroom plug is basically a patch (the head of the mushroom) with a plug (the stalk of the mushroom) that goes into the hole. It is the generally accepted way of repairing a puncture. http://www.bridgestone.co.in/PlugMethod.aspx (For a car tyre, but exactly the same principle)

The Stop-n-Go video (if you are interested and I have no vested interest to declare )

https://youtu.be/BzP7O-a7Z4c
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it and also monitor pressure in the tyre.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

A mushroom plug is inserted from inside the tyre and almost impossible to see, after the repair was done. If you can easily see the repair from the outside, they probably did not use a mushroom plug, but rather those string plugs.

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

This is what it looks like from the outside. I noticed a little glue or liquid oozing out yesterday

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

That is a mushroom plug and should be fine. No issues as it is actually a patch on the inside of the tyre.

Name:  Mushroom plug-500x500.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  20.5 KB

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Excellent. Learning a lot on this forum. Thanks for all the input. Appreciated

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

My 2c...

Depending on the bike, speed, load etc. - personally I tend to replace the tyre for safety reasons and peace of mind. Probably depends on how and what you ride and if you tend to carry a pillion at speed. Many opinions on this topic though. Heres a good guideline for reference: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...ture-repairs-/

You will see they give some guidelines on the rating, position and size of hole etc.

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Yup, mushroom plugs are basically patches from the inside and are perfectly fine, I've actually got 2 in my Pirelli Supercorsa's at the moment...

Personal preference to change out tyres with the mushroom plugs, but they won't lose integrity easily - IF done properly.

Just check your tyre pressures more regularly before hopping on for a ride though.

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Perfect, will keep an eye on the pressure in the tyre. Thanks for all the input once again

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post
    Yup, mushroom plugs are basically patches from the inside and are perfectly fine, I've actually got 2 in my Pirelli Supercorsa's at the moment...

Personal preference to change out tyres with the mushroom plugs, but they won't lose integrity easily - IF done properly.

Just check your tyre pressures more regularly before hopping on for a ride though.
    +1.

For any use less than severe racing conditions on a slick tyre, a mushroom plug is fine.

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    +1.

For any use less than severe racing conditions on a slick tyre, a mushroom plug is fine.
    To be honest in my view racing conditions is probably far less strenuous on tyres than the road. Accelerating a 200hp bike like a hooligan over bumps and drains requires allot more from a Tyre than a smooth track surface with constant grip.

I would recommend that each do their own research about this topic and make their own decision. Look at https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...orcycle-tires/ or https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/t...torcycle-tires There are many more articles about this topic. You will see in the articles they mention that V rates tyres forfeit their speed rating and its recommended to not exceed 80/85mph when repaired and it seems even some insurance companies have clauses around this. There are so many variables to consider that there is probably not one expert that will say when you plug a tyre its all good. There's always a warning or a "but or if" involved.

But like I said so many views and variables around this and because if the way I ride, carry pillions, heavy bike, lots of power, etc. I lean towards the safe side..

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KNOT View Post
    To be honest in my view racing conditions is probably far less strenuous on tyres than the road. Accelerating a 200hp bike like a hooligan over bumps and drains requires allot more from a Tyre than a smooth track surface with constant grip.
    As always, views will differ and yes, each should make the decision for themselves.

A patch in the middle of the threaded part of the tyre is considered fine.
    A patch in the sidewall is not.
    A race tyre is much, MUCH softer than a road tyre.

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Just an update on the mushroom plug that was used to plug the puncture. My bike was returned to the dealership today as the rear tyre was not holding its pressure at all. After 2-3 days the tyre was losing about 1 bar of pressure. While washing the bike this weekend I actually heard the air leaking out from the plug. Hope the dealership can fix it properly this time round. Im a bit concerned that they might suggest a new tyre as the solution to the problem

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Where was the mushroom plug done?

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Performance Technic which is the new workshop company that does servicing for fire it up