Thread: Commuting in Cape Town During Winter ???

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton EFI 900 2015!
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Commuting in Cape Town During Winter ???

Hello Everyone
    Hope you are all doing great
    I am in Cape Town and winter is soon here. Anyone commute straight through it. Keep in mind I have a Triumph Thruxton and not a adventure bike. Any input would be great. I do have a car but want to sell it and settle some high interest debt, time to free myself. Anyway any input will be greatly appreciated ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow White? Not quite.

Bike
    BMW G310R
    Region
    Gauteng

Get some tights at Mr Price Sport..... the type the cyclist wear....... go to a hardwear store and get a rainsuit. Get some beeswax and waterproof your boots.
    All comments are my opinion - use it or don't: Unless specified it is not officially endorsed by Think Bike Marshaling

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6
    Region
    Western Cape

Rain suit and your usual leathers/protective gear underneath.
    cheap rain suit will last the season; then toss it away when it rips at the crotch area haha! Rain suit from builders warehouse lasted me just two years of periodic commuting. But boots was always a problem. Still havnt quite got it right to keep my boots dry - they get wet if the rain suit pants lifts up and no longer cover the top. I just leave the boots full of newspaper and hopefully they dry enough before the next ride/day.

Think Im going to buy a decent R2000 rain suit this year and see how long it lasts and what abuse it can take.

Get a balaclava. In June you will be thankful. I use an Oxford product.

Buy a ProGrip Light sensitive NoFog lense. Tracmac wynberg. I think it was under R400. Best addition to my kit, which I have EVER made. no mist up- even under heavy breathing . ever. Im in my 2nd year of using one.

Gloves? I guess if you have the cash buy decent waterproof gloves. I just rock cheap leather gloves over waterproof Wurth mechanic gloves.

Also did I mention the visor insert from ProGrip.... NO FOG!! Haha sorry its just the best. If you have one then you will know.

Cheers. Remember to watch the cages front wheels and drivers shoulders. Tell-tale signs of lane changing. Safe commuting.

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Some good advice from Brett there

With regards to a rain suit, I personally haven't found one that will keep you dry on long trips, they all end up leaking at the crotch
    What does help is having the suit 2 sizes too big. That way the legs don't pull up when you sit on the bike and the jacket doesn't ride up your back from the wind.