Thread: First rally advise

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR 600
    Region
    Gauteng

Default First rally advise

Hi everyone,

Beginning of March Iím going to my first rally with 2 friends in Kuruman from Johannesburg. We will use a bakkie and trailer to load our bikes, clothes and tent.

I was thinking of riding my bike all the way instead of loading it on the trailer. The longest distance I have ridden was a return trip from Port Elizabeth to Cape St Francis Bay. I have been riding for almost a year and have been doing breakfast runs to Harties for practice.

I am uncertain if I should ride to Kuruman because of the following reasons:

Iím a new rider
    Lack of long distance riding experience
    Unfamiliar with the road condition and route to Kuruman

All advice from forum members will be appreciated.
    Don't blame it on the sunshine, Don't blame it on the moonlight, Don't blame it on good times...Blame it on the boogie

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Digler View Post
    Lack of long distance riding experience
    If you don't start riding long distance, you'll never get experience

Unfamiliar with the road condition and route to Kuruman
    Maybe someone here knows the roads but you could google maps it to get started.

Is the bakkie and trailer still going even if you ride? If it is then plan to leave earlier than them so if you need to give up they can meet you on the road and load you up.

Leave early, stop often.

Start building you "bike fitness" now, every weekend do an extra 50km

Make sure you are comfortable, I had a pair of gloves that loved for commuting but on trips longer than a few hours, the seams hurt in the fingers. Simple stuff can make a trip crappy.

Google long distance tips, there are hundreds of sites and the things you need to learn will jump out at you.

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR 600
    Region
    Gauteng

[QUOTE=-Az-;1174721]If you don't start riding long distance, you'll never get experience

Maybe someone here knows the roads but you could google maps it to get started.

Is the bakkie and trailer still going even if you ride? If it is then plan to leave earlier than them so if you need to give up they can meet you on the road and load you up.

Leave early, stop often.

Start building you "bike fitness" now, every weekend do an extra 50km

Make sure you are comfortable, I had a pair of gloves that loved for commuting but on trips longer than a few hours, the seams hurt in the fingers. Simple stuff can make a trip crappy.

Google long distance tips, there are hundreds of sites and the things you need to learn will jump out

The bakkie and trailer will follow. The are 3 of us. One of my friends is going to drive, the other is going to ride but he is way more experienced. He has ridden the route the last 3 years.

Thanks for the tips Az
    Don't blame it on the sunshine, Don't blame it on the moonlight, Don't blame it on good times...Blame it on the boogie

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Dirk, not sure how far you would be travelling to the rally, but each trip begins with the first km. I've done the trip from Capetown to Centurion and to Johannesburg in one day a few times, just rest a bit now and then, and stay hydrated. Don't ride faster than the road surface and visibility dictates, and you should be fine.

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR 600
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Colyvon, the trip is from Johannesburg to Kuruman 530KM. How long had you been riding before you did the Cape Town to Johannesburg trip?

Bike
    R80GS PD
    Region
    Gauteng

Unless the bike is damaged, it does not belong on a trailer. Fact.

As Az said, if you don't do it, when will you? 530km is not far. The roads are ok in general, expect potholes, slow down from 10km before towns and 10km after for the likelihood of speed trapping. Stop once for leg stretching. Or maybe two times. Have fun, ride safe.
    You don't ride in the rain, you don't ride!

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Colyvon, the trip is from Johannesburg to Kuruman 530KM. How long had you been riding before you did the Cape Town to Johannesburg trip?
    Fair enough, I've been riding since 1981, but never more than a 60-70km ride, mostly commuting to work and back. I got involved with the Think Bike marshals in around 2011 and it was soon after that that I did a two day trip to CT and two days back after a marshal stint. Did the first one day trip back in around 2013 and have done two more since. Just for interests sake, I'm 61 and did one of the one day trips back last year, a few months after suffering a massive heart attack. Call me nuts, but the road calls, I'd do it again this year, but I used all my leave and sick leave having multiple bypass surgery in October last year.
    Whatever you decide, do it within your comfort zone.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Rule #1: Get permission.
    Rule #2: See Rule #1
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

We will use a bakkie and trailer to load our bikes, clothes and tent.
    Erm…..don't do that...its not cool

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
    Erm…..don't do that...its not cool
    Ye olde Roade Rage is seldomly right, but in the case he is. 100%. Ride the bike. 500 odd k's is nothing.

The Windsurfer

Bike
    2003 BMW R1150R
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Ye olde Roade Rage is seldomly right, but in the case he is. 100%. Ride the bike. 500 odd k's is nothing.
    Have to agree 100%. Have done much longer 1 day trips on a CBX250 Twister when I was till riding mine.