Thread: CRASH BARS or not?

N00b
    Bike
    Yamaha YBR250
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Default CRASH BARS or not?

I am surprised that there are so few postings regarding crash bars. As I have me two bikers in the short period I have been biking who now have crash bars, beacuse...........; One had a pronounced limp due to leg injuries and burns from the exhaust when he went down and his leg was trapped under his bike; similarly the other also suffered from an injured foot.

I had a similar experience of falling over when stationary; (of course this only happens to novice riders – never to the pro’s!). My leg was trapped under the bike and I could NOT get it out, nor could I lift the bike sufficiently to get free. A black pedestrian came to my assistance and lifted up the bike.

I had no scratches or injuries other than too my pride. The rear view mirror was broken (a few hundred bucks for a new one), and the end of the brake lever broke off and there some minor scratches to the paint work. I’m sure that ‘Crash bars’ would have prevented me from been pinned down and the reduced the damage to the bike.
    In the interests of my own well being I’m going to have crash bars made.

So - why are more bikers not having ‘CRASH BARS’ fitted, or would it not fit in with the image of a macho-biker??

Harold

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Crash bars are great.

Luckily factory fitted and standard on my GS.

I had a VFR750F many years ago and had an Australian made Bag Rack fitted behind the pillion seat. Even that saved me some bucks on cosmetic damage.

I like them but that's the kind of guy I am. Superbikes will not really fit in with them.

Those that have them and have used them, will swear by them...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    So - why are more bikers not having ‘CRASH BARS’ fitted
    Cost.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Personally, I do not like crash bars and it does not have anything to do with my perceived image, macho or otherwise.

I have yet to see a set of crash bars that will actually prevent your leg from being trapped under the bike should you be unfortunate enough to fall in such a manner that your leg is trapped under the bike.

Crash bars are expensive and once the bike has fallen over on them, require replacement as well as they get scratched, even bent. One set of crash bars can easily be way more expensive than a mirror and clutch lever.

Bike
    Ex Triumph Tiger 1050/ Triumph Tiger 800 XC
    Region
    Gauteng

if I remember correctly, crash bars where made compulsory in the late 1970's/early 80's but it didn't take long before that was removed, a lot of people got hurt by them.

Personally, I like crash bars and other protective accessories for low speed issues such as fall over overs while maneuvering or on gravel, at the higher speeds, other dynamiques come into play, have a look at the crash bobbins a lot of superbikes have, sometimes they help and other times they dig in and flip the bike. I have been caught under a bike that had crash bars just like I have been under a bike without.

This is a topic that you will have a zillion different opinions, it will boil down to your personal choice, do you believe they will help?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Good memory Douglas. They became compulsory all bikes bigger than 200cc (not sure about the size, could be 250cc) early in the 70's and the law was canned very early in the 80's. While crash bars can protect certain parts during low speed crashes, the crash bars themselves have become so expensive that it is sometimes cheaper to replace the broken parts than the crash bars. Of course it is not always a requirement to replace the crash bars, but I am as irritated by scratched or bend crash bars as I am by other damaged parts.

Bike
    BMW F800GS Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Default CRASH BARS or not?

I got trapped under my crash bar equipped gs800 when it stalled mid low speed turn one day. Stil have the scar.
    Crash bars don't gaurantee you wont get trapped, just minimizes the chance.
    They also introduce extra drag, which on sports bikes aren't ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boanergesza1; 06-02-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    We tried nothing, and we are all out of ideashttps://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/266184.png

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Dedicated Police bikes and most adventure bike are firren standard. Reasons are: Activity type and frequency of use and activity.
    My rule of thumb is that as long as it is inside the width of the handlebars I am happy (most know I am a permanent pannier wearer...) Panniers also act as protection on slow speed roll drops etc.

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

Riding behind bikers with crash bars, I notice that the revised width dimension of the bike makes lane splitting more challenging.

Bike
    BMW F800GS Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Stream View Post
    Riding behind bikers with crash bars, I notice that the revised width dimension of the bike makes lane splitting more challenging.
    It's all in the mind.
    Once I determined that if my handlebars fit, I can fit, it was easy. Crashbars rarely extend that far out.
    Technically panniers are the same....I haven't yet got my mind that far yet. I ride extra carefully in traffic with them if they are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We tried nothing, and we are all out of ideashttps://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/266184.png

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Stream View Post
    as Slip_Stream said. Rarely will the crash bars be wider than the handlebar or panniers.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    as Slip_Stream said. Rarely will the crash bars be wider than the handlebar or panniers.

Have to agree. Can't remember ever having seen crash bars wide enough to make a difference on the total width of the bike.

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

If anyone finds a supplier please add pics and details on here as it is a less posted topic and there is not a lot out there to choose from.