Thread: Sabie Round Trip

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Sabie Round Trip

Hi everyone,

I decided to stretch the GTR1400ís legs a few days back and went for an 850 km round trip from Gauteng-->Sabie-->Hazyview-->Graskop-->Nelspruit-->Gauteng. I havenít taken that route in a while and I must say I am very disappointed in the condition of the roads. For those of you planning a trip, and like me havenít been out there in a while, see feedback below:

• Belfast to Lydenburg via Dullstroom: Road is not too bad. Few bad potholes but easy to dodge at the speed limit. Be careful of the bridges, some are of the joins are like speedbumps. You dont want to hit them at crazy speeds Ė especially with a pillion.
    • Long tom Pass: Road not to bad but very bumpy, especially in the corners. You donít want to be anywhere near the limit in the corners. Allot of slow trucks, some doing 20km/hr so be careful around blind corners.
    • Sabie to Hazyview (R536 AKA the 22): Plenty of potholes so I guess the days of the 22 is long gone. Still a nice route and the potholes are easy to dodge but I wonít recommend that anyone ride it Ilse of Man style. Allot of potholes around blind bends. Most bends are sweeping with good visibility. Still allot of fun but very disappointing, considering the general condition of such a legendary road.
    • Hazyview to Graskop (R535/R533): Road not too bad for the first part. A few big pot holes but once the R533/R535 joins (the last stretch to Graskop) the road is not extent on the left in some places.
    • Graskop to Sabie (R532): Road not too bad. Some potholes to look out for.
    • Sabie to Nelspuit via R37/R539: Probably the best road of them all.

So, in short Ė plenty of potholes and Iím afraid it seems that biker heaven has become pothole heaven. Donít travel close behind cars, you wonít see the potholes coming and most of them will take you out as they are ankle deep most of the time. Still a nice route and I would recommend it.

It took me 10 hours to do the 850kms and what I have learnt from the GTR is when I am tired and 'gatvol' that bike is just warmed up and getting startedÖwhat a machine. For those of you with adventure bikes, ignore everything I said and just go meerkat for about 450kms and you will be ok! For those of you with superbikes, do your ass a favor and do the trip over three days

Be careful out there and take it easy.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Thanks KNOT for the feedback.

Keep an eye out on Trevelle's posts as he often organizes long day trips with planned stops. Very casual and not a speed event.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

Awesome feedback on a popular route.
    10 hours for 850km sounds like a hardcore day trip or a solid Saturday/Sunday trip.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    Thanks KNOT for the feedback.

Keep an eye out on Trevelle's posts as he often organizes long day trips with planned stops. Very casual and not a speed event.
    indeed. Just a few days ago he and a few buddies did 1100km in a single day. He called it the Sun Up to Sun Down BrÍkkie Run.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    indeed. Just a few days ago he and a few buddies did 1100km in a single day. He called it the Sun Up to Sun Down BrÍkkie Run.
    Excellent. Will keep an eye out. My ultimate goal is to do a round trip around SA. Its 5 500 Km so have been doing a few long trips to see what will be possible. Will need to do it in 6 or 7 days which I think is going to be a stretch and probably not safe given the levels of fatigue.

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

5 500kms in 7 days is hitting it hard. Training for the Dakar?
    Anyway, I'd recommend a bike service before popping out on a trek that long.

Rumour has it a round the country trip could happen in autumn of 2020.....That's a whole 'nother thread though.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KNOT View Post
    Excellent. Will keep an eye out. My ultimate goal is to do a round trip around SA. Its 5 500 Km so have been doing a few long trips to see what will be possible. Will need to do it in 6 or 7 days which I think is going to be a stretch and probably not safe given the levels of fatigue.
    Some of the TB Marshals who marshalled the Sasol Solar Challenge during 2016 did 6 000km in 8 days and in 2018 about 5000km in 8 days. My wife and I have done 6 000km in 10 days and she was on her F650GS. It can be done with relative ease. The important question is, why?

It is way more fun to ride every day however the feeling grabs you on that day. My wife and I, on our tours have done as much as 1000km in a day and as little as 180km in a day. It all depends on what you feel like doing on the day. Ride for the enjoyment, not the distance to "brag" about.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Region
    Gauteng

our group did 1920km in 3days over the December long weekend, 800km was the most in one day, it can be easily accomplished and we only did it because we wanted to go see a specific area, as AMZ says "Ride for the enjoyment, not the distance to "brag" about."

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

I rode back from Cape Town in one day after the Cape Rouleur last year, 1470km. I intended to stop over in Kimberly but when I got there, the sun was still high and the road still calling, so I carried on.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Some of the TB Marshals who marshalled the Sasol Solar Challenge during 2016 did 6 000km in 8 days and in 2018 about 5000km in 8 days. My wife and I have done 6 000km in 10 days and she was on her F650GS. It can be done with relative ease. The important question is, why?

It is way more fun to ride every day however the feeling grabs you on that day. My wife and I, on our tours have done as much as 1000km in a day and as little as 180km in a day. It all depends on what you feel like doing on the day. Ride for the enjoyment, not the distance to "brag" about.
    I think the question of motivation is probably worth a separate topic. Why do people do what they do on bikes, probably a 50 different possible reasons. Always wondered what motivates the guys at the rallies to rev their ZX14's/bussa's to the limiter non-stop the whole damn evening! Blows my mind - it does prove that japs know how to make engines though.

Good points, I also think its best to not plan to far ahead and pre-book accommodation. If the roads, traffic and weather is good go as far as possible, else take it easy.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KNOT View Post
    I think the question of motivation is probably worth a separate topic. Why do people do what they do on bikes, probably a 50 different possible reasons. Always wondered what motivates the guys at the rallies to rev their ZX14's/bussa's to the limiter non-stop the whole damn evening! Blows my mind - it does prove that japs know how to make engines though.

Good points, I also think its best to not plan to far ahead and pre-book accommodation. If the roads, traffic and weather is good go as far as possible, else take it easy.
    Well, the motivation us the strange bit, but then we ride bikes because we like to do our own thing. If we all wanted to do it the same way, we could buy a bus and ride together.

Out of season there is so much wonderful accommodation available, no need to pre-book. There are few things as crappy as booking in Lodge A and then you find Lodge B is just nicer. I mean environment rather than service. Also, you are booked in Town A and on the way there you ride through Town B which is beautiful.

In the beginning I struggled with the "no plans" idea, but once used to it, it becomes a lot of fun.