Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, Do You Wear ATGATT?

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

@Mr S....... Re leather
    I haven't done research, but my belief would be that nothing beats racing leathers. This is supported by the fact that leather is what is used on the track?
    Having said that, note I say racing leathers - I would not be so sure about "cheap" leather picked up at a flea-market!
    I am sure there is someone out there who can comment with authority, but I suspect the old story holds true - you get the value of what you pay for it. In other words cheap kit could well be cheap for a reason. This also needs to be counter-balanced against paying the price just for a big brand name - as can be seen in some cases with helmets!

@Knot.....re boots.
    I think your comment re needing luggage is 100%
    With boots I tend to wear a low cut boot which takes less space to store on the bike. I will also often go into the office with boots on and change into shoes in the office.
    I carry the shoes in a compact light weight soft bag and I then store the boots in the bag under a desk and change back at night.
    Just thinking about this.... In the UK where people walk a lot, it is often done to wear a pair of "walking" shoes and then switching at the office..... particularly the girls. So why not for bikers?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    Devil's Advocate

Isn't gear there to help you after you have had the crash, and doesn't it only protect you from a small set of injuries? It does pretty much nothing for real blunt force trauma when you hit things at any reasonable speed, and blunt force trauma is what kills most of us. And, doesn't it make people ride faster because now they are hot and need to get airflow, and doesn't it distract them because of the heat, a speeding distracted rider is not a safe rider.

Make no mistake, gear is important, but training is much more important.
    I would agree 100%. If I prepared a PowerPoint presentation to talk about motorcycle riding, I would have Atgatt as a sub-bullet under the main bullet Responsible Riding. Training would also be a main bullet.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KNOT View Post
    Any ideas under which conditions gear is tested? I believe that helmets are tested hitting a brick wall head-on at 30-60km/h? I always had the theory that hitting anything head-on over 80km/h is probably going to end in serious injury regardless of the gear.
    I seriously doubt that gear (excluding helmets) are tested independently.

Independent helmet testing is way more complex than just hitting a brick wall at a specified speed. The UK DoT testing, Sharp Helmet Ratings are the best in the world currently. Here is how they do it:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/sharp-testing/

Biker
    Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

This is a great video on some of this stuff.
    (Awful & Awesome Motorcycle Gear - How to Spot the Difference.)

I agree with pretty much everyone here. If I recall correctly,
    leather and kangaroo leather is especially what you want. One
    thing with that though is that it's leather gear, not any leather
    jacket or pants where you're better off with actual gear even if it's
    textile.

Leathers on a track is one thing, though that's a highly considered
    more one-sided approach to it all. They also don't carry anything,
    they don't need pockets. It's streamlined, nothing is flapping or
    sticking out like a belt buckle. The weight, breathability,
    durability, fit against the level of protection (flammability?) are
    others.

At a racing level, they can stop and freshen up whenever they want
    (in practice), they have multiple suits and sets of gear with that as
    well. For pros, that's them at their work and what they wear at work
    where they are actually riding all day or focused on that in some
    way. If I did that, I'd be wearing full leathers for an hour commute
    and I'm stuck with it the entire day otherwise with little or none of
    the same amenities.

I'm sure they're comfortable, it isn't quite the same thing though
    all-around with all the many other considerations.

In my case, I'm more looking for a sweet spot with all this and while
    racing kit is great on a track (and for that kind of riding not
    having a sport bike myself), it's a balancing act.

There's a lot out there that take fashion with purpose into account
    and knowingly offer just some protection as a compromise. Some do it
    better than others and cost is always a factor and for us here,
    availability too.

As a new rider, I'm torn about this a lot of the time, at the
    extreme with that, it's safer not to ride just like it's safer to
    never go out, or do anything less safe than otherwise.

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

A few things to consider regarding slow to moderate speed slides with no hard impacts:
    Can you afford time off work (employed or self employed)
    Are to an active person / athlete - can you afford the downtime without being able to train (many injuries are on joints)
    Are you on a medical aid that covers these injuries
    Do you require the full use of your body and hands to perform your work or hobbies

Add the above up and then basic ATGATT should cover the slides.

High speed and hard impacts are a different story. At least the ATGATT will hold you together as much as possible.

Luck has a lot to do with it too...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

Who has it in their forum signature? "Dress for the slide, not the ride."

Does anyone here have testimony/review on neck braces?

The majority of riders are kitted from top to toe (boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet) yet the neck region seems to be the most overlooked area.

Anyone ride with one of these devices?

Bike
    BMW
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Slip_Stream View Post

The majority of riders are kitted from top to toe (boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet) yet the neck region seems to be the most overlooked area.

I have a Leat neck brace. Worn it a few times. Need to get it adjusted and just persevere a little more with it.

Would use it on certain rides but think that when marshalling it could be a hinderance unless I get super used to it. Helmet type makes a difference for its general comfort too.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or any other sane human

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

There are currently no definite, peer reviewed, research indicating that neck braces do what they say they do. There is a university (name slipped my mind) currently doing research on the subject.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Western Cape

This one perhaps? https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/member.php?23025-SLOH

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

A problem I have found, is that I do a heap of research, and decide (informed) on a particular item which I think will fit my riding, budget, size and so on. And then, I go to the bike shop to buy that particular item, just to be told that I cannot get that item in South Africa / Pretoria / Earth or whatever, and then I get another "better" piece of rhino-dung forced down my gullet by a 22-year old mellenial shop assistant with wierd ear-rings... in the end, one ends up having to import the particular item yourself, at great personal cost and pain.

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Diakonos View Post
    A problem I have found, is that I do a heap of research, and decide (informed) on a particular item which I think will fit my riding, budget, size and so on. And then, I go to the bike shop to buy that particular item, just to be told that I cannot get that item in South Africa / Pretoria / Earth or whatever, and then I get another "better" piece of rhino-dung forced down my gullet by a 22-year old mellenial shop assistant with wierd ear-rings... in the end, one ends up having to import the particular item yourself, at great personal cost and pain.
    Its amazing what you can get in the US/UK and how easy it is to find parts, custom stuff and kit and shipped to your house no problem. In SA we seem to be restricted by a handful of importers and limited range.

I agree that in SA we have very little variety - Probably the price to pay for such a small market. The problem with buying single items online is that the shipping cost for one item vs 10 is incrementally more. So best is if you buy a few items from a shop in the US/UK you can save allot of money. Problem with gear is you probably want to fit or try it first and sending stuff back is a pain/impossible.

Stuff that I buy online is things like engine covers, quick shifters, bar ends, levers etc. Also, if you not in a hurry you can buy it on AliExpress. You can pickup stuff there for next to nothing but you wait 3 months for the SA port office and 9/10 times you just pay the vat. I got decent tank grips for the trackbike at probably 10-20% of the price of bike shops in SA. Only problem is you wait a loooong time.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Its amazing what you can get in the US/UK and how easy it is to find parts, custom stuff and kit and shipped to your house no problem. In SA we seem to be restricted by a handful of importers and limited range.

I agree that in SA we have very little variety - Probably the price to pay for such a small market. The problem with buying single items online is that the shipping cost for one item vs 10 is incrementally more. So best is if you buy a few items from a shop in the US/UK you can save allot of money. Problem with gear is you probably want to fit or try it first and sending stuff back is a pain/impossible.

Stuff that I buy online is things like engine covers, quick shifters, bar ends, levers etc. Also, if you not in a hurry you can buy it on AliExpress. You can pickup stuff there for next to nothing but you wait 3 months for the SA port office and 9/10 times you just pay the vat. I got decent tank grips for the trackbike at probably 10-20% of the price of bike shops in SA. Only problem is you wait a loooong time.
    Yep - I think you are right - we are paying the price for the market being so small.
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

+1

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

It is all in the size of the market. In the USA, you can still buy a self starter for a 1960 John Deere tractor over the counter. They have almost 400 000 million potential buyers though. South Africa, due to our small market have always and will always suck a rearward positioned milk receptacle be it bikes, cars or mouth organ parts.