Thread: So, Do You Wear ATGATT?

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Default So, Do You Wear ATGATT?

Well do you?
    I have heard it said that if it's close enough not to wear gear - it's close enough to walk

ATGATT.jpeg
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Biker
    Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

Yes while it's been a bit of schlep, it does get better!

I don't have full leathers or proper racing type gear, just pants,
    jacket, gloves, shoes that's generally something somewhere in
    between.

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Yep, wearing gear is definitely not fun, but there have been a couple of occasions when I have been grateful that I was wearing it!
    No need for top of the range racing leathers..... Plenty of reasonable quality, reasonably priced kit available.
    I must say, the more you wear it - the easier it gets.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Most of the time.

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

I commute daily, wear proper cordura jacket, gloves, helmet and often Xkulcha pants. Normal hiking boots as foot gear.
    To me, the moment I get on without jacket, I feel very exposed and unsafe, hence, jacket + gloves + helmet 100% of the time.

Samsung, Note 9, using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

On the scoot I protect upper body - helmet, gloves, jacket - as I kinda feel "I'm moving at the pace of a cyclist.
    On the bike, I include pants (recently got me a pair of X-Kulcha EazyOvers which are lekker and convenient) and boots, always.

Gear is important. I cringe though when gear is defined by brand i.e. personal preference of particular upmarket brand ("Shark is crap... ", "Arai has better protection... ", "wearing a Spirit helmet is as good as not wearing a helmet...", etc) as I believe promoting usage of test passed gear should be encouraged. Alas minimum pass. It is industry standard.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Funny thing is that when you ask people who do not wear gear if: 1) they use a seatbelt while driving, 2) a parachute while sky diving, 3) a condom for a one night stand, they always say yes.....the mind boggles that they forgo basic protection while riding a bike.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Gear is important. I cringe though when gear is defined by brand i.e. personal preference of particular upmarket brand ("Shark is crap... ", "Arai has better protection... ", "wearing a Spirit helmet is as good as not wearing a helmet...", etc) as I believe promoting usage of test passed gear should be encouraged. Alas minimum pass. It is industry standard.
    True this. When we look at the Sharp Helmet Ratings, possibly the best available right now, you may find you R10k Arai is a 3-Star while my R3k Spirit is also a 3-Star.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Majority of the time full ATGATT.
    Occasionally above with regular pants and boots.
    Rarely none - that's moving the bike around and about the yard and transports.

Have some knee scars from my young days (and the itch on occasions to remind me).

If I recall, in some US States you are allowed to ride without a helmet. But, if you wear a helmet it must be DOT approved... Bizarre
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WBro View Post
    If I recall, in some US States you are allowed to ride without a helmet. But, if you wear a helmet it must be DOT approved... Bizarre
    Bizarre indeed, but this is the USA.

In some states if you and I rode together, you no helmet and me with my BMW Systems6 Helmet, you would be okay, but I would be breaking the law. Go figure. But then, this is the country that can close government down because they can't vote the budget in?

Bike
    Ex Triumph Tiger 1050/ Triumph Tiger 800 XC
    Region
    Gauteng

Devil's Advocate

Isn't gear there to help you after you have had the crash, and doesn't it only protect you from a small set of injuries? It does pretty much nothing for real blunt force trauma when you hit things at any reasonable speed, and blunt force trauma is what kills most of us. And, doesn't it make people ride faster because now they are hot and need to get airflow, and doesn't it distract them because of the heat, a speeding distracted rider is not a safe rider.

Make no mistake, gear is important, but training is much more important.

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    Devil's Advocate

Isn't gear there to help you after you have had the crash, and doesn't it only protect you from a small set of injuries? It does pretty much nothing for real blunt force trauma when you hit things at any reasonable speed, and blunt force trauma is what kills most of us. And, doesn't it make people ride faster because now they are hot and need to get airflow, and doesn't it distract them because of the heat, a distracted rider is not a safe rider.

The view expressed, makes sense and more importantly, the training part - that is something sorely lacking across SA

Have fun! Ride safely

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Devil's Advocate

Isn't gear there to help you after you have had the crash, and doesn't it only protect you from a small set of injuries? It does pretty much nothing for real blunt force trauma when you hit things at any reasonable speed, and blunt force trauma is what kills most of us. And, doesn't it make people ride faster because now they are hot and need to get airflow, and doesn't it distract them because of the heat, a speeding distracted rider is not a safe rider.

I guess that’s why there is winter and summer gear 😉

If putting on a safety belt makes one drive faster, then manufacturers should toss the seatbelts out!!
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Biker
    Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

That's where the right gear is also important. I've done myself no
    favours just going to the beach ill-prepared at times. It isn't to
    say one or the other is or isn't always going to be better or worse,
    there's a balance. The wrong stuff in the wrong situation is going to
    be very uncomfortable, a lot of it is mind over matter also though,
    even off the bike. If I keep worrying about how bad something is,
    it seems to get even worse!

I get that running where everything is an issue some days, this
    grass is too long, there's a hill here, it's too hot, it's the sun or
    the wind, now this, then that, that guy's walking, looks lekker.
    If you get unnerved by these things, it will rattle your cage.
    It does help with what you practice.

If stubbing my toe on the table hurts like heck, what about at 40KPH?
    I've pushed my bike around the driveway in flip flops and I've only
    thought about how terrible that is imagining it. I worry more in
    dense slow moving traffic with lots of variables where I think gear
    would still help more than not, yet it's also where it sucks the
    most.

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it and
    it does get better.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

We do experience some of the most varied and extreme weather here in SA.

Dress accordingly. Without meeting James Blunt force trauma on a slow to mid speed off, your gear should allow you to walk away with a feeling of huge expense and indignity alone. Higher speed has its own set of issues that you have to deal with in that situation (does your summer gear protect you on the last 20m of your slide..)

PS 25 degree Celsius is classified as a heat wave in London UK..
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi DouglasN - methinks you are a good Devil's Advocate
    But you don't really believe all of it either
    I do however totally subscribe to part of your quote which I repeated above
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

My accident happened at less than 60kmh in peak hour traffic and I always wore all my gear, along with jeans.
    If it was not for my gear, I would have had way more severe injuries. The surgeon (who also rides) told me straight up if it was not for my boots, I would have lost my foot.

I was wearing:
    Schuberth SR1 helmet (chin bar on left side fractured, visor dented and scratched, scuff marks down left side). I still got concussion and could not hear out my left ear for three weeks, but that crash hat saved my head.
    RST Blade ventilated leather jacket (scuff marks and the left shoulder external pad took a beating). Saved my torso and left shoulder and arm. No internal injuries, except for left ribs that were a bit sore for a while.
    Alpinestars Drystar gloves. Left ring finger took some damage between the Distal and Middle joints, and glove tore a bit on that spot, but no other damage.
    Normal Levi 501 black jeans that took some damage and had to be cut off me so paramedics could get to me ankle and leg.
    Alpinestars SMX6 boots. Left toe slider ripped off, some scuff marks on external supports and some other minor marks, but they kept me from further damage to my left ankle which was crushed like an eggshell.

And again, less than 60kmh..... in an argument between a human body and a car/bakkie/truck/van/bus, the human body loses every time. We are soft and squishy compared to metal objects on wheels.

I just laugh at anyone who rides whatever form of two wheeled motorised transport without any sort of protective gear.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    My accident happened at less than 60kmh in peak hour traffic and I always wore all my gear, along with jeans.
    If it was not for my gear, I would have had way more severe injuries. The surgeon (who also rides) told me straight up if it was not for my boots, I would have lost my foot.

I was wearing:
    Schuberth SR1 helmet (chin bar on left side fractured, visor dented and scratched, scuff marks down left side). I still got concussion and could not hear out my left ear for three weeks, but that crash hat saved my head.
    RST Blade ventilated leather jacket (scuff marks and the left shoulder external pad took a beating). Saved my torso and left shoulder and arm. No internal injuries, except for left ribs that were a bit sore for a while.
    Alpinestars Drystar gloves. Left ring finger took some damage between the Distal and Middle joints, and glove tore a bit on that spot, but no other damage.
    Normal Levi 501 black jeans that took some damage and had to be cut off me so paramedics could get to me ankle and leg.
    Alpinestars SMX6 boots. Left toe slider ripped off, some scuff marks on external supports and some other minor marks, but they kept me from further damage to my left ankle which was crushed like an eggshell.

And again, less than 60kmh..... in an argument between a human body and a car/bakkie/truck/van/bus, the human body loses every time. We are soft and squishy compared to metal objects on wheels.

I just laugh at anyone who rides whatever form of two wheeled motorised transport without any sort of protective gear.
    I broke a collar bone and wrote off a Honda CrossTourer at less than 20KPH in an intersection!
    Without all the gear I would also have damaged my hip and right foot and the side of my head. The gear had marks to show it did it's job!
    So - yep, I am a sissy - All The Gear All The Time - but that's just me - may not be for others!
    Coachman

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

Devil's Advocate

Any ideas under which conditions gear is tested? I believe that helmets are tested hitting a brick wall head-on at 30-60km/h? I always had the theory that hitting anything head-on over 80km/h is probably going to end in serious injury regardless of the gear.

I agree that gear should be practical, comfortable and easy to wear. Having had my fair share of spills on the track I have no doubt that full leathers offer the best protection but this in not practical for daily commutes. Funny enough out off all the gear I have had leathers are the most comfortable and is not hot at all compared to other gear. If they get wet when riding in the rain they again dry quickly at speed - no worries. So for longer road trips I always go for the leathers.

So I believe compared to leathers anything else is inferior and it becomes a trade-off between safety effectiveness and practicality. For daily commutes I wear easy overs and a jacket with gloves. I don't wear biker boots unfortunately because I don't know what to do with them when I get to my destination. I know this is a serious gap. Helmet, easy overs and jackets locks easily inside panniers/top box. I believe that this is a big reason people don't wear all the gear all the time. Most bikes don't have panniers or a top box to lock the stuff away.

So in my view anyone that's serious about commuting and safety needs a top box or panniers. Use the right bike for the job at hand. This make wearing the gear effortless when you reach your destination. I believe those that have not crashed yet don't have a full appreciation of the protection that's available and just don't bother.

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi KNOT
    Good points raised here.
    I agree with the stowage part regarding boots.
    I too commute and wear Helmet, Leather Gloves, RST Cordura Jacket and depending where I'm going, either office pants or X-Kulcha black jeans. These jeans have a very nifty pouch on right thigh for cellphone.
    I even sometimes were these jeans to office in that their black color blends well as office wear.

A question though - would anyone have opinion on Leathers vs Cordura in the event that a spill occurs resulting on a slide on tarmac?

Regarding Helmet - I've purchased a bicycle lock cable with key and lock my helmet to handlebars (depending on where I park). Locking this way saves space, but only done daytime, never after dark
    Quote Originally Posted by KNOT View Post
    Any ideas under which conditions gear is tested? I believe that helmets are tested hitting a brick wall head-on at 30-60km/h? I always had the theory that hitting anything head-on over 80km/h is probably going to end in serious injury regardless of the gear.

I agree that gear should be practical, comfortable and easy to wear. Having had my fair share of spills on the track I have no doubt that full leathers offer the best protection but this in not practical for daily commutes. Funny enough out off all the gear I have had leathers are the most comfortable and is not hot at all compared to other gear. If they get wet when riding in the rain they again dry quickly at speed - no worries. So for longer road trips I always go for the leathers.

So I believe compared to leathers anything else is inferior and it becomes a trade-off between safety effectiveness and practicality. For daily commutes I wear easy overs and a jacket with gloves. I don't wear biker boots unfortunately because I don't know what to do with them when I get to my destination. I know this is a serious gap. Helmet, easy overs and jackets locks easily inside panniers/top box. I believe that this is a big reason people don't wear all the gear all the time. Most bikes don't have panniers or a top box to lock the stuff away.

So in my view anyone that's serious about commuting and safety needs a top box or panniers. Use the right bike for the job at hand. This make wearing the gear effortless when you reach your destination. I believe those that have not crashed yet don't have a full appreciation of the protection that's available and just don't bother.
    Have fun! Ride safely