Thread: Hi

Lurker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Hi

Hi All, new to the forum. I am looking to get a bike to commute from Centurion to JHB. Was looking at the NC750, question I have, manual or DCT? And any additional advise would be great, haven't been on a bike for about 15 years now. Want to use it for some weekend driving as well. And what is the maintenance and reliability like for the NC? Any alternatives that should be considered to test drive?

Thanks
    AppelJan

Biker
    Bike
    KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Howzit and welcome to the forum, nc's appear to be rather bullet proof, mine was on 52k kms when I traded it in, and still went perfectly.

Regards to dct or man, I guess it's personal preference at the end of the day, I would take manual every day of the week.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Lurker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey freerider

Thanks for the reply, the one I am looking at now has 49K on the clock, (DCT) so was a bit worried about the high KM. But again, all reviews I have read is good and no real complaints. Think my mind is made up. Just worried if it has high millage that the DCT goes wrong. Not sure how expensive the parts are on the DCTs.

Thanks

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

I love my NC, manual, I'm on my second one. I sold my first, 2014 model, with 83k on the clock, it has now done over 100k. It was in daily use and did a few return trips to CT. I now have a 2017 model which has around 42k on the clock, also done two return trips to the Cape. A few of the trips back from the Cape, I did in one day and the bikes took it in their stride. It's not the fastest bike on the block, but has good acceleration and handling and serves my purposes well.

Biker
    Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about DCT or manual bikes. I've given it plenty
    of thought on cars though as my car and a would-be are new this year
    and auto (in whatever form) was and is also an option there.

It's the first time I've seriously considered anything but manual.
    They're a no-brainer in some cases, though I was surprised they cost
    more.

Back on the bike side:
    I did consider an NC before getting my bike also and it makes a lot
    of sense on there looking at it with it being so very pragmatic.
    (maybe too much so? )

The NC stands for "New Concept", it might be worth taking a second
    look at how we feel about these things these days. The technology is
    just so much better now than ever before.

Overall though, it does depend on what you apply it to and what you
    want to experience out of it with what's important to you on that.

A lot of the time these days, there's just no way to compete with an
    auto in very many situations despite how we feel about it.

(my car is still manual, it's probably the last one though really!)

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome to the forum
    I've ridden KLR650 and Honda Transalp 650.
    Bought 2017 NC750 DCT and have not looked back a day.
    Ultra reliable, bike now on 16k and still very economical.
    I have not found any negatives to the DCT and recently attended the Honda Quest talk.
    Interesting to hear all 16 bikes on the Quest was DCT. They are found to be super reliable.
    My experience on DCT is that you can focus more on riding and enjoying the trip. No thought to gears etc.
    Stopping at robots or stops are great, you can put either foot down.
    If I had to choose again, I would not ponder on DCT, I'd grab it in the 1st second.

Samsung, Note 9, using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely

Lurker
    Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey all, thanks for all the feedback. The NC I was looking at was sold . Will be looking in the new year again. Again thanks for all the input.

Side Note: General feeling on a Hyosung GV650?

N00b
    Bike
    NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

I chose the DCT specifically because I commute 75km each day, and I'm so glad I did. I don't have to worry about constantly changing gears when traffic is erratic. If you want to go fully auto, and you never want to do anything regarding gears, you can. Otherwise, the finger shifters let you gear up/down as required, allowing you to have some control especially if you need to accelerate for an overtake. I've never switched mine over to full manual mode as I've not felt the need to, but it's there if you want it. The additional freedom you get by not having to worry about gearing is great.

I'm coming up for my 36,000km service next month and the bike still runs really well. If I ride gently I'll still get 3.5l/100km, but even if I ride much harder, I seldom use more than 4l/100km.

Considering the DCT never lets you go out of range with what the system is programmed to allow, I'd be very confident buying a second hand one knowing that it's not been over-revved or mis-treated to within an inch if its life.

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Agree 100% with your view, same is true for me. Good summary of crucial points

Have fun! Ride safely

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by thumpanet View Post
    I chose the DCT specifically because I commute 75km each day, and I'm so glad I did. I don't have to worry about constantly changing gears when traffic is erratic. If you want to go fully auto, and you never want to do anything regarding gears, you can. Otherwise, the finger shifters let you gear up/down as required, allowing you to have some control especially if you need to accelerate for an overtake. I've never switched mine over to full manual mode as I've not felt the need to, but it's there if you want it. The additional freedom you get by not having to worry about gearing is great.

I'm coming up for my 36,000km service next month and the bike still runs really well. If I ride gently I'll still get 3.5l/100km, but even if I ride much harder, I seldom use more than 4l/100km.

Considering the DCT never lets you go out of range with what the system is programmed to allow, I'd be very confident buying a second hand one knowing that it's not been over-revved or mis-treated to within an inch if its life.
    Agree 100% with your view, same is true for me. Good summary of crucial points

Have fun! Ride safely

Biker
    Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by thumpanet View Post
    That's a really good point and your post was great too.

I'm not sure it's really the kind of bike to attract that kind of
    hooliganism in general either, though, for some perspective I've
    driven some messed up rental cars that barely had any KM on it.
    Really gets me to thinking mileage isn't always everything.

That little bit of care does go a long way as you say.

As an aside, quick-shifters might be a good middle-ground also for
    whatever that's worth - no need to worry about clutch or throttle on
    some of them up or down.