Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you ride armed?

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm with WBro. I would carry on long road trips. When broken down next to the road I will make sure I have quick access and any one approaching will be treated as a suspected criminal. I agree in some situations being armed is useless, like waking up at night in bed with a gun in your face, however, very effective if you see or know a criminal is coming. I have no doubt that it gives you the upper hand and you can fire warning shots. Many examples of these situations. Is does come with great responsibility though.

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

+100
    "There are Old Bikers and there are Bold Bikers, but not a hell of a lot of Old Bold Bikers"
    Coachman

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

@ Road Rage

In Post #12 you say: "Life is inherently dangerous …. I wear ATGATT and I carry a gun to even the odds."
    You also said: "
    PS. AMZ's example of his crash and his musket being separated from him is silly......nowdays we have fancy holsters and stuff and don't have to shove the guns in the waste band of our tracksuit pants "

Could you share where and how you carry your firearm while riding? Pictures?
    Also, you mention training is vital - I agree! But could you maybe talk more about which hand you use to draw your firearm while riding your bike, and roughly hao long it takes for you to discharge your first shot?

I have thought about this a great deal, and the above factors, together with the fact that I am not allowed to take my firearm to work (they don't even offer the option to keep it at Security) has led my decision not to carry my Glock 19 while riding. But seeing that you ride with ATGATT, and you ALWAYS carry your firearm, I'd like to know how you do it - maybe I can adopt the same methods.

If there is anyone else out there who also ride with ATGATT and ride packing, please share your secrets?

Bike
    Horizontal Honda NC700x
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Diakonos View Post
    @ Road Rage

In Post #12 you say: "Life is inherently dangerous …. I wear ATGATT and I carry a gun to even the odds."
    You also said: "
    PS. AMZ's example of his crash and his musket being separated from him is silly......nowdays we have fancy holsters and stuff and don't have to shove the guns in the waste band of our tracksuit pants "

Also, you mention training is vital - I agree! But could you maybe talk more about which hand you use to draw your firearm while riding your bike, and roughly hao long it takes for you to discharge your first shot?

I have thought about this a great deal, and the above factors, together with the fact that I am not allowed to take my firearm to work (they don't even offer the option to keep it at Security) has led my decision not to carry my Glock 19 while riding. But seeing that you ride with ATGATT, and you ALWAYS carry your firearm, I'd like to know how you do it - maybe I can adopt the same methods.

If there is anyone else out there who also ride with ATGATT and ride packing, please share your secrets?
    There is an easy way - Use a shoulder holster if you need to conceal the gun under atgatt, that way no-one will see it. You cant get it out fast with the jacket zipped, but in a situation that you can foresee, you could in time. Besides, I prefer non-lethal, like a nice long stainless steel bar hidden under the arm on my waistcoat. Quick draw and its over in seconds with no one dead and if you loose it - get another one. Believe me that thing breaks bones when someone tries to block it with their arm. After a gun has been fired at someone (don't use warning shots - its a legal nightmare of he said, she said) in a public place you will be charged with culpable homicide and then there are witnesses, conflicting stories, blah blah. So, unless you reaaaaallllly have to carry, do so. Otherwise its not worth it because its a pain, people don't like it, you may have it taken from you, you may loose your license, bike accident - stolen from you,etc. So, tried concealed gun carry on a bike - not worth it.

Bike
    Honda NC750x DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

So it's settled then?
    1. Steel round bar baton under forearm.
    2. 2 x katana swords on back, tucked between jacket and back pack.
    3. Pepper spray shooting out the side of the handlebars.
    4. Hard knuckle riding gloves.
    5. Steel toe cap riding boots.
    6. A passenger with an AK.

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Never tried riding and shooting at the same time, theoretically it would be possible as I have cruise control, but I personally would not see it as an option. The idea would be to shoot if required once one is off the bike/stationary. I am right handed and carry 3 o'clock in a Kydex holster with a quick release. I carry a full size PX4 which is easily concealed by my RST jacket. The gloves I wear and my FA allow me to fire without removing my gloves. So after coming to a stop, drawing and firing without removing gloves or unzipping jacket, probably under a second. Right hand goes to 3 o'clock and in single motion lifts jacket and draws...something like that.

Carrying in a position where one can 'expose' if required when riding has proven useful on a few occasions late at night when dodgy people in cars think about parting you from your bike.

​If you don't tell anyone you are carrying, how will your employer know?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    CBR1000R, GSX650F
    Region
    Gauteng

I also ride with my firearm all the time, I have a modified leg holster that conceals my firearm, carry a full frame CZ-P09 btw.

The idea is not have it ready to shoot while riding although this would be very possible, the idea is to come to a safe stop and have the firearm ready within a second or two.

I also have to agree that a huge amount of training is required for even owning a firearm, for instance, it is not there to fire warning shots, it is there to protect human life. If you feel the need to un-holster your firearm, you feel the need to use it, and deal with the consciences of that(that should be minimal if you are using it in a lawful manner), but now we are straying from the topic.

Just my input into the matter.

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

As someone that commutes daily on my bike, it would be pointless to leave the FA at home - then I'm without it the whole day! I carry 24/7, not only because I may need it while riding, but because I may need it at my destination too.

I have made myself a holster from Kydex, which straps around my waist with a suitably wide elastic strap (not an elastic band). This I sewed myself, so it fits me perfectly. The advantage is that it sits inside the pants, and does not weight or pull down the pants. There are also no telltale plastic clips over the belt that hold the holster up. This also allows me to carry while I'm wearing shorts (thus no belt) or even tracksuit pants.

I also chose a weapon that caters for gloved use (i.e. large trigger guard), should the need ever arise. But, I agree with the chaps above... the idea is not to ride and shoot, but to have the FA available when you stop.