Thread: stiff spots in a chain

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

Default stiff spots in a chain

So my chain has some tight spots...yeah i know its my fault its been a while since i cleaned and lubed not that long but with some rain etc its led to this...

Anyway onto the future, i cleaned, lubed and tightened the chain up tonight, which is how i really noticed the tight spots, do you guys think it is fine to run it in a bit like thisand clean and lube again on like the weekend, or is it not salvageable?

TIA

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda & Yamaha (project)
    Region
    Free State

Tention your chain according to the tightest spot, lube and watch it carefully, if not sorted within 50 - 100 km, sorry bud, you will need to replace

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Gauteng

Agree with Scorpius.
    Also, how old is you chain - how many kms? I got about 17 000km out of my stock chain on the Honda NC750, then replaced with an X-ring chain, which I hope will last even longer.
    How often do you clean and lube, if it were to be sunny and dry?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Chains tend to stretch unevenly. I have no idea why. It can still go some even if stretched unevenly, but it is a good idea to watch it closely.

My last chain and sprockets on my DL1000 Suzuki lastest 42000km and I was extremely lazy with the cleaning and only partially less so when it came to lubing.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Diakonos View Post
    Agree with Scorpius.
    Also, how old is you chain - how many kms? I got about 17 000km out of my stock chain on the Honda NC750, then replaced with an X-ring chain, which I hope will last even longer.
    How often do you clean and lube, if it were to be sunny and dry?
    my first chain did like close to 30 000km....then i replaced sprockets and chain and i am on like ~25k km with this one, it is like 2.5yrs old.

I have my good and bad times but i try do it like every 600-1000km, which is anywhere between once a month to twice a month.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
    Tention your chain according to the tightest spot, lube and watch it carefully, if not sorted within 50 - 100 km, sorry bud, you will need to replace

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    seemed fine this morning, on the tight spots you can feel it in the drive train changing out of neutral but felt fine otherwise, will probably check and lube it tonight again