Thread: Adventure Rookie Rider

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Smile Adventure Rookie Rider

Hello Bike family

I need a bit of advice for a Adventure rookie rider.
    I've done two training course for the beginners skills and off road, unfortunately I had to rent bikes every time,my first training was on a Bmw GS 310 and the second one was Honda Xr150, as a beginner rider
    which motorcycle will you all recommend,to learn more about on/off road skills and gear changing, let me just first start from the bottom.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

You are asking a very difficult question to answer due to a lack of information. Some questions, if you don't mine:

- How old are you?
    - What size are you? (Length and weight)
    - What sort of riding are you planning to eventually do?
    - What is your budget for bike and kit?

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi
    Sorry for the late reply:
    How old are you?
    45 🙈
    - What size are you? (Length and weight
    1.72 and according to the meat scale 75kg
    Well hopefully adventure 60% on road and 40% off road.
    - What is your budget for bike and kit
    If I had to start with a used bike for 6 months then my budget will be 30k if it has to be spanky new one then I need to asked to bank.
    And I already got the kit, helmet, gloves, jackets and boot's.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by redlizard View Post
    Hi
    Sorry for the late reply:
    How old are you?
    45 
    - What size are you? (Length and weight
    1.72 and according to the meat scale 75kg
    Well hopefully adventure 60% on road and 40% off road.
    - What is your budget for bike and kit
    If I had to start with a used bike for 6 months then my budget will be 30k if it has to be spanky new one then I need to asked to bank.
    And I already got the kit, helmet, gloves, jackets and boot's.
    On road: Will you commute or just ride for leisure over weekends? Planning any long distance overnight trips?
    Off road: Do you mean off tar, i.e. dirt roads or off road, i.e. river beds, tracks, etc?

Anyway, the selection is difficult because there are quite a lot. I am not sure what size bike you are considering, by in the 300 class the BMWG310GS and Honda CRF250 could be possibilities. Personally I would rather look in the 650cc class at an experienced bike. Yamaha XT660, Kawasaki KLR650 or BMW F650GS standard or Dakar, single or twin.

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the advice, but looks like I will go for lower CC if I still need training on the gear changing

Bike
    Ex Triumph Tiger 1050/ Triumph Tiger 800 XC
    Region
    Gauteng

........,to learn more about on/off road skills and gear changing, let me just first start from the bottom.

....... but looks like I will go for lower CC if I still need training on the gear changing
    I would suggest first just getting used to riding a bike, put the offroad on the back burner temporarily, if you are not confident with gear changes now, that will only be exaggerated offroad.

in your training concentrate on the slow skills and get the gear changes smooth, that is all easily transferred to the offroad stuff. I think AMZ has it pretty much spot on with his selection of bikes, I would look at the 600/650's he mentions.

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks will do so , dry asphalt ✌🏻

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    On road: Will you commute or just ride for leisure over weekends? Planning any long distance overnight trips?
    Off road: Do you mean off tar, i.e. dirt roads or off road, i.e. river beds, tracks, etc?

Anyway, the selection is difficult because there are quite a lot. I am not sure what size bike you are considering, by in the 300 class the BMWG310GS and Honda CRF250 could be possibilities. Personally I would rather look in the 650cc class at an experienced bike. Yamaha XT660, Kawasaki KLR650 or BMW F650GS standard or Dakar, single or twin.
    Good suggestions on Bike and later the suggestion to put off road on back-burner, also excellent suggestion

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the advice, but looks like I will go for lower CC if I still need training on the gear changing
    Then I would agree 100% with DouglasN. Get comfortable on the bike 100% on road, before considering off-road. That said, gear changing should not take more than a few hours to get under the knee. It is no more difficult than in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    I would suggest first just getting used to riding a bike, put the offroad on the back burner temporarily, if you are not confident with gear changes now, that will only be exaggerated offroad.

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Then I would agree 100% with DouglasN. Get comfortable on the bike 100% on road, before considering off-road. That said, gear changing should not take more than a few hours to get under the knee. It is no more difficult than in a car.
    Thank you, do you still think I should rather go for a beginners bike 600/650cc or rather look for used 250cc say ride it for 6 months and go for higher cc

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha XT1200Z
    Region
    Gauteng

Go for the 600/650cc you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

Your options on day trips will also be more do-able, you will comfortably be able to to a ride to Parys for breakfast on a 650cc than a 250cc, not that the 250cc cant do it, but 300kms later i would prefer the bigger bike.

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DewaldB View Post
    Go for the 600/650cc you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

Your options on day trips will also be more do-able, you will comfortably be able to to a ride to Parys for breakfast on a 650cc than a 250cc, not that the 250cc cant do it, but 300kms later i would prefer the bigger bike.

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions still new at this... hopefully one day when I am settled I can stick your guys for a Ice Cream

Bike
    Ex Triumph Tiger 1050/ Triumph Tiger 800 XC
    Region
    Gauteng

#AMZ, I think maybe it's time for another newbie ride, like the one we did to Kitty Hawk, even if we do a semi-urban one?

Jack of all trades
    Bike
    Aprilia 650 (Sold) Honda CR250 Honda NC750 (Stolen) Honda VFR1200 (Sold)BMW F800GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

Thank you, do you still think I should rather go for a beginners bike 600/650cc or rather look for used 250cc say ride it for 6 months and go for higher cc
    As per AMZ post, Kawasaki KLR650, last time I was at Randburg Motorcycles they had two on sale in good nik. The Suzuki DR650 is also a good all rounder.
    Make a plan on getting your bike, once you have it quite happy to pop through one Saturday and give you some tips

You may never know what result come from your actions.
    But if you do nothing, there will be no result.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bike
    Bmw F650gs
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Jadd View Post
    As per AMZ post, Kawasaki KLR650, last time I was at Randburg Motorcycles they had two on sale in good nik. The Suzuki DR650 is also a good all rounder.
    Make a plan on getting your bike, once you have it quite happy to pop through one Saturday and give you some tips

Thanks will keep you posted and make a appointment.