Thread: That man needs a bells

Bike
    BMW F800GS Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

Default That man needs a bells

So this morning I'm on my way to bavarian from the vaal (yes its far, but I like the shop and the service)

Somewhere just after the Swartkoppies onramp on the R59 north a biker joins the traffic in the middle lane. A gold SUV indicates starts to change lanes and then stops midway manoeuvre and returns when they notice him. This biker then proceeds to flip the poor lady off, almost pressing his finger against her window.
    Now I should mention his life was not in immediate danger, she changed lanes in front of him and not when he was beside her.

It didn't stop there though.

The whole length of the R59 North, Reading interchange, N12 and N3 all the way to Modderfontein this biker proceeds to flip off almost EVERY vehicle that is passed. Left hand, Right hand , hitting his helmet on the top with the hand (which I thought meant "police ahead"). If a vehicle didn't move away quickly enough to this bikers liking they got a finger. At one point a white overloaded sedan did change lanes when he was almost beside it, which he proceeded to kick the door in, but again I could see what that vehicles intention was some distance away and had slowed down for it.

When the biker took the offramp I glanced and it looked like a Red Honda Crosstourer or NC700/750 (I have a partial number plate, but was concentrating on traffic so I didn't get a good look).

Now I have no idea how their morning went, was the biker late for work, did they have fight with their spouse...who knows , I'm not here to judge but ....

If that is your bike ... dude, you need to chill ! Go home tonight and pour yourself a bells (or two). Calm down. Flipping off every truck, car and bakkie on your way to work is not the way to go. Rather slow down, look around and anticipate the traffic. If a driver is riding too close to the line while you are riding it, slow down wait for a gap then pass them. You WILL pass them I promise. It's inevitable. You WILL get where ever you want to go to faster than them. I promise you that too. Some of the trucks you flipped off cant move over more, because they are wide. Some of the drivers don't feel safe moving over and stick to the lane. Just learn to live with it.

I spend a lot of time thanking road users who make a safe space for me and just ignore the ones that don't. I work hard at creating a friendly biker image. All you are doing is perpetuating a stereotype, and in the long run, turning more motorist against us.
    We tried nothing, and we are all out of ideashttps://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/266184.png

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250 Twister
    Region
    Western Cape

No one is legally obligated to get out of the way of a motorbike. They are legally obligated not to endanger the life of a motorbiker, which would include moving into the path of a bike in a dangerous manner. But they are not obligated to move over or make room in a lane so that a bike can pass (even if it's the polite or "right" thing to do). Riding a bike doesn't give us some bizarre entitlement to be King of the Road....
    This guy is not only an ass, but also ignorant.

It annoys me so much when I see this sort of behaviour. As you say, it makes motorists dislike bikers. I'm not thrilled to be sharing the road with motorists who have just been abused by some aggro entitled biker, because they're less likely to be accommodating towards me. (And every other biker.)
    I also try to thank accommodating motorists when I can. Polite and friendly bikers go a lot further towards changing motorists behaviour for the better, than trying to intimidate them does.

Let's hope that we can go some way towards mitigating the damage that people like Mr Aggro do

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Region
    Gauteng

sounds like a guy I have seen on the N3 past Edenvale & Marlboro a few times, red bike, red jacket, flipping off all & sundry.

Just a quick aside, this past Sunday, a taxi blocked an intersection to let our small group of bikes all cross over together, and it's not nearly the first time it has happened.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Region
    Gauteng

when I commute or ride traffic areas I wear this

_IMG-20170204-WA0012.jpg

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    Just a quick aside, this past Sunday, a taxi blocked an intersection to let our small group of bikes all cross over together, and it's not nearly the first time it has happened.