Thread: Greetings to all

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Greetings to all

Hello,

I am new here. I've always loved motorcycles but never owned one, only done some off-road riding around a farm many years ago.

I plan to purchase a motorcycle one day but for now I'd like to gain more insight about obtaining a license, doing some riding workshops and most of all buying the correct riding gear for my own safety.

The last item I'll purchase will be the actual motorcycle.

Thanks for a great platform,

Regards,

Fieldman

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here and that you also get some useful advice. I can see you are on the right track. Gain insight, get license, buy kit, buy bike. So many do it the other way around.

I'm not here

Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Fieldman,

great that you joined us and as AMZ said best way to do things, the right way!

Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome .. hope you have you kit and wheels soon.
    On a bike no one ever asks, Are we there yet? (Stacy Westfall)

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

I haven't been on here for quite some time, thanks to all for the welcome messages. Well nearly a year has passed by and I still haven't committed to obtaining my license and getting kitted out. The time has arrived where I seriously need to look into this.

I have to commute 160km per day, luckily its mostly open road freeways with little traffic but this is quite taxing on the budget even though I drive a vehicle with a 5.8 ltr/100km fuel consumption. The plan is to get my license and then use a bike to commute on most days during the week when it's viable.

I have been looking at various options and am leaning towards a Kawasaki Versys 300 just to start out with. I would highly appreciate your thoughts on this and I'm open to all suggestions.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

given the distance that you do and the fact that you are travelling at highway speed a lot of the time, I would suggest that you don't look at anything less than a 600cc bike - you are bound to get frustrated a few months in with the lack of power and will then have to scratch that itch with an upgrade

although a 300 will likely cruise comfortably on a level road at around 90-110 depending on a number of factors, it will not have the power to maintain that momentum on uphills or be able to quickly get clear of traffic should the need arise - i.e. you will constantly be concerned about the speed differential between yourself and other traffic and as a novice rider that is one less thing that you should be worried about

a smaller capacity bike is not necessarily safer - in fact, it is probably the opposite given SA traffic conditions

hence I suggest that you look at something like the Suzuki 650SX?, the Kawa Versys or similar - not a pocket rocket as you'll probably be most comfortable on something with an upright seating position to allow you to look over traffic (given that you will be commuting most of the time) - even a large capacity scooter would be a better option than a small bike given your riding circumstances

also, Triumph will be replacing their 800 Tiger series next year with a 900 - hence there are bound to be significant specials available on the Tigers and if you go that route, you will buying a lot of bike that will last you a long time
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Honda Silverwing 600FSC
    Region
    Gauteng

Not to argue with Q who loves his Triumph, but you also have to take into account the cost of maintenance and insuring when buying a commuter. Doing 160km per day will mean frequent servicing. I do agree on the Versys or Honda NC 700/750 though! And yes I fully recommend a large scooter as you will find a larger bike will cost as much in petrol, maintenance and licensing as a small car. But you're limited to a 500cc Xciting, 600cc Honda Silverwing or 700cc Integra or the loyal 400/600cc Suzuki Burgman. The purchase price is usually higher on these than a regular bike, but you can pick up some good low mileage second-hand scoots from Sunday riders. As a regular long distance freeway commuter I urge you to look at 500 - 750cc bikes.
    Then it's important you do some training before engaging with the mad house that is the freeway during rush hour!
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!"

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I suggest the following course of action: (1) Get your learner license (2) Get proper motorcycle attire (3) Attend a training course - This is a good one to learn the ABC's of motorcycle riding: http://www.bmwrideracademy.co.za/courses and you are supplied with a bike for the training program (4) Deciding on the right motorcycle: There are MANY different type of motorcycles to choose from. Go to dealers and TEST RIDE different makes and models of motorcycles. This is the FUN part. Mr Gift Gumbi of Linex Yamaha Randburg can assist with test rides of a variety of different models of demo Yamaha bikes on display there. Fire-It-Up in Fourways is another great dealership where you can test ride different bikes. (5) Having test ridden bikes, some makes and models will undoubtedly call out to you and your choice will narrow down. Review those bikes of interest to you and compare their specs. Take your time and get the bike that will put a smile on your face every time you go for a ride! Utility is one consideration when looking at buying a motorcycle, but do not lose sight of the pleasure/enjoyment factor, because you should allow yourself to have both

Lurker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks so much for the feedback and sound advice guys, yeah I've been digging deeper and have to agree that the Versys 300 isn't the best option for my commute. The 650 Burgman has always appealed to me as a commuter and would be great to take with on our seaside holidays, in the past I have seen some great deals on used models and will definitely keep this option on the shortlist.

Luckily I am a technical guy capable of performing the regular servicing that will be required and I would want to go for an option where spares are readily available and affordable too.

The priority right now is for me to get my learners license sorted, purchase the necessary safety gear and clothing and definitely attend a few skills classes before taking ownership of a bike.
    The goal is to be rolling early in the new year so still a bit of time left to make a decision.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

To assist with terrain, where you commuting from to?

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Hi and Welcome to the TB Forum.

Some sound advice coming in from your questions!
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human