Thread: In the beginning there were....

Bike
    Ural, F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Default In the beginning there were....

Many many moons ago when TB was started by Buck we all used to pay our own way. So we would all have these pamphlets printed at our own cost and then go and stand at intersections on weekends handing them out to motorists.

DSC_0054.jpg
    Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
    Many many moons ago when TB was started by Buck we all used to pay our own way. So we would all have these pamphlets printed at our own cost and then go and stand at intersections on weekends handing them out to motorists.

DSC_0054.jpg
    This story sound incomplete...

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Bike
    Ural, F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Why is that?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
    Why is that?
    Reading your write-up, it's unclear to me as the reader how you want me to engage further with it. A brief history of yesteryears is introduced, then it ends there - unless my device has chopped your write-up.

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S :( ... Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 :-( .2015 Harley Street 750. 2011 Daytona 675!
    Region
    Gauteng

I miss the times when there were events and such. I tried to drive the southern coffee stop for a while but interest died off, people moved away... I was bikeless for 4 odd years.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

The Windsurfer

Bike
    Walk and seemore for now
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Reading your write-up, it's unclear to me as the reader how you want me to engage further with it. A brief history of yesteryears is introduced, then it ends there - unless my device has chopped your write-up.
    Print some pamphlets (or ask the TB directors if they have some for you) and hand them out at an intersection.
    Take the campaign back to the streets where it started, and Raise Awareness.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Print some pamphlets (or ask the TB directors if they have some for you) and hand them out at an intersection.
    Take the campaign back to the streets where it started, and Raise Awareness.
    Ah....I missed that part.

Would be interesting to see the ROI on pamphlets being handed out at intersections. 5 years ago when I was in fundraising, research had shown 3% on ROI from pamphlets being slit into people's hands.
    I'm certain in order for us to have a greater impact and to raise the awareness, we need to think out of the old box and into the future. How do people consume such campaigns. Perhaps wrapping vehicles (who doesn't notice the RedBull Mini), perhaps we should think of partnering with some of these media houses that own billboards. They happily slap our prints on their empty and vacant vacant boards (SANBS/Food and Trees For Africa/JAM/Afrika Tikkun/etc are but a few NGOs that benefit from such partnerships).

I do agree, we need to raise the awareness more and more and hopefully more lives will be saved.

Bike
    Ural, F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Actually there was no hidden message or call for action. Just innocent sharing of some TB history ;)

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian Stranger's Avatar
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    Ah....I missed that part.

Would be interesting to see the ROI on pamphlets being handed out at intersections. 5 years ago when I was in fundraising, research had shown 3% on ROI from pamphlets being slit into people's hands.
    I'm certain in order for us to have a greater impact and to raise the awareness, we need to think out of the old box and into the future. How do people consume such campaigns. Perhaps wrapping vehicles (who doesn't notice the RedBull Mini), perhaps we should think of partnering with some of these media houses that own billboards. They happily slap our prints on their empty and vacant vacant boards (SANBS/Food and Trees For Africa/JAM/Afrika Tikkun/etc are but a few NGOs that benefit from such partnerships).

I do agree, we need to raise the awareness more and more and hopefully more lives will be saved.

WOW, I like your thinking

now to the 64 million dollar question ................ WHO?
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    WOW, I like your thinking

now to the 64 million dollar question ................ WHO?
    TB is an interesting beast that is made up of young and old. The old look to a messiah "WHOM shall we send", the young look within "HOW can we collaborate". I'm not sure whether there is a middle ground.
    Yesterday I realised, sitting in conference, that I was the " missing middle" in the room. I couldn't contribute to the conference as a "young person" (having recently fallen off the UN age gap), neither could I contribute as an "elder", let alone " middle aged", thus found myself taking notes.

TB needs the institutional knowledge, the young zeal, and the dancing together of young and old as we keep the flame alive. Perhaps my thoughts and reflections in my posts were just that. Them that can wrap, slap a wrap and drive knowing that you are a mobile billboard. Those that have access to the decision makers in marketing companies needing to support a worthy cause, use that social capital to open the avenue. Them that still find reward in handing out pamphlets, JetLine awaits the order, it'll print, and the intersection awaits. Whilst some will be social media activists and pay for data and do the digital activism that many are now engaged in.

As the old saying goes, "many hands make light work". The naysayers will then chant "many hands spoil the broth". Alas.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

It starts with us members. What are we individually able to contribute towards the Think Bike initiative to raise awareness of safety on our roads. I think we need to organize into different provincial regions and set up committees for every region. In this way we can put together members who want to do things and get the ball rolling again. I would be happy to have this conversation somewhere over a beer or two and figure out how to activate the initiative.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    It starts with us members. What are we individually able to contribute towards the Think Bike initiative to raise awareness of safety on our roads. I think we need to organize into different provincial regions and set up committees for every region. In this way we can put together members who want to do things and get the ball rolling again. I would be happy to have this conversation somewhere over a beer or two and figure out how to activate the initiative.
    I hate to do this, but I want to differ from you. This is purely my opinion as well.

ThinkBike was started by a small group of bikers, passionate for the cause. They did exactly what Chucky described. A sort of "unplanned" thing, from their own pockets (a lot from the leader, Bucc) and then they did their thing. ThinkBike grew and grew and as it grew it went through various phases which included committees, regional committees and eventually even specific drive committees such as Marshals, Schools Outreach, etc. A few years ago it registered as a NGO with a Board of Directors, Audited Financials, etc and became very successful and sadly, to big and cumbersome to be handled and managed by a few volunteers.

I have seem most of the above and I have to say that I think the most effective ThinkBike, as a safety campaign ever was, was in those early days. We don't need committees, chairpersons, etc. We need members, passionate about the issue to do whatever they believe will work in their area. If the brochure is printed in black and white on a home printer, rather than a very professional thing done by printers, it is fine. When a small group goes on a brękkie run, take stickers and brochures with. Dish them out, etc.

Avoid the "management" structures.