Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to TB

Bike
    Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade
    Region
    North West

Default What happened to TB

HI All

I know I'm still new here. But I have been trolling the threads and seeing some great threads, get together meetings, events and all sorts of things TB community people got up to. Looked awesome and I wish I was there to be apart of it all. But all this has seemed to die down, slightly disappear so to speak. What happened? Is there no way to restore TB to it's former glory? Seen posts like missing the "old days". Is it not possible to make New days and see old days as a good memory and focus on new memories?
    It's just a thought. Seems like this was the place to be. I am still looking at becoming a member, but the finances pointed in a different direction this month.
    There is a toy run happening on the 17 November 2018 in Klerksdorp. Obviously for a good cause. I'm joining this year and trying to get my company involved as well. Would be nice seeing some faces from TB there. They ride from Motlasana Mall at 11AM for a short run to the Portuguese hall where it's like a carnival atmosphere till about 19:00. If any TB people want to set up a gazebo / Stall I have the organizers number so you can chat and maybe bring banners etc. like the good old days. What you Say?

Again just a thought.
    A way of life

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Warped, sorry mate but you have it all wrong

in the good old days, you would have said

How can I get some stuff from TB so I can go and set up a gazebo to spread the message.

This was how it was done, .... nowadays people expect everyone else to do it for you.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Bike
    Region
    North West

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

How can I get some stuff from TB so I can go and set up a gazebo to spread the message.

This was how it was done, .... nowadays people expect everyone else to do it for you.
    That's what I mean. What happened to the enthusiasm? Man this TB seemed full of energy, an unbeatable vibe. Sad actually. Would he great to have the same commitment and enthusiasm it once had.
    A way of life

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Come on Stranger, leave the Warped one alone... he’s new and still energetic... not beaten old hags like us...

Warped.... kinda works with my sense of humor.... but the Strange one does make a point. We had an awesome spirit of community - where everybody helped everybody else... we had banners and gazebos and trailers and a caravan wrapped by a member and weekend training runs just for fun - and long weekend track training down at Phakisa... we literally had hundreds of volunteers all pitching in a little bit...

But then things changed.... politics and BS got in the way... Bucc passed on... entheusiasm waned, opinions and egos outweighed common sense...
    Sponsors walked away and we ended up chasing bicycles ‘for a living’ and not getting involved in real [motor]bike safety issues and doing the things we all loved doing.

Training school kids
    going for rides
    marshaling mass rides - and owning it.... back to the egos and bullish...

we made a TV advert
    we made radio adverts
    we branded busses
    we were on billboards and sanral signs...

We were a movement, a gathering of brothers and sisters pursuing a common cause - to raise awareness and save lives.

People come and go...

But I think the biggest thing was when the legislation changed around NPOs and NPCs and that stuff.... We could no longer have a team of passionate volunteers running the campaign.... we were kinda ‘forced’ into registering as a NPC (Non profit company), with directors and rules and other government driven nonsense.

Yet where is the funding from the Lotto? Where is the government? Where are the corporate sponsors?

Why can’t Think Bike be as successful as the NSRI or SPCA?

Because it’s run by volunteers... and it’s the directors (volunteers) who are burdened with EVERYTHING... while still holding down jobs and supporting their families etc.

It’s just not sustainable..

But this post is a testament to the legacy left behind by Bucc...
    A really good man, with a great vision... And I’m proud to say I knew him.

There are a number of ‘old school lurkers’ reading this... come one guys and girls - say ‘howzit’.

Now in all of this, I’m not taking ANYTHING away from the directors and the few volunteers who still keep the campaign running.
    TB marshaling is still going.
    the website and this forum is still going

I personally have NO idea what’s happening at ‘executive level’ as I simply don’t have the time to get involved at that level anymore.

But I still do the odd marshaling gig and proudly wear my ‘founder marshal’ armband - or like last Sunday, greet the boys while out on the road (I popped into Darling Brewery after riding 60 km in MUD... and the TB guys had marshaled the Cancervibe ladies from CT to Darling (on tar from the opposite direction))...

But seriously... going back to Stranger’s comment of ‘hey, what can I do for the campaign?’ - there are plenty banners, flyers, stickers, bibs etc.... grab a team together and just do it.

We still live by the mantra - if my actions can save just ONE life, then they are good actions.

So carry on - train, educate, spread the word... lead by example. Be awesome!
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome Warped.
    I haven' been with Think Bike quite as long as Crash and Stranger, but I echo their sentiments. We, as individuals, or two or three together, would source some z-folds and banners and go and stand at an intersection to hand them out. I remember one on a corner of old Johannesburg road in Centurion, and one on the corner of Klipriver Drive and Swaartkoppies near Alberton. We also had banner days, where we would hang a banner from a bridge over the freeway and wave to the drivers as they drove under us. There is nothing stopping you from grabbing a couple of mates and making a plan. TB is dead, long live TB. It just needs new blood.

Bike
    Region
    North West

Hey guys thanks for that. At the moment I am already talking to people that ride bikes and some that want to. I do try educate about safety issues ATGATT and the benefits of wearing it. I strongly believe in the morals and the safety side of TB. After buying my 900 the first thing was the gear. And it was this forum that made me. Reading all the posts and listening has made me passionate in a way about bike safety and awareness. Colyvon has the right idea... New blood. I get the red tape about NPC etc. But if I may scratch a non itch maybe there is a loophole. Actually I'm gonna have a bash into looking at that. And the legend that is Bucc I'm sure would smile at the fact of the TB legacy and how it can effect peoples way of thinking when it comes to biking. I was over seas when TB was launched but I soon returned in 2009 and that's all I saw. To tell the truth I hunted for a TB sticker. But alas was unsuccessful. Klerksdorp has plenty and I mean plenty of bikers. Some defo squids riding about here that need some educating. Lol my wife has never seen a post on here but I was talking to my nephew last month about TB and what it's all about. Also mentioned squids and what it stands for. We went riding the other day and some jerk came flying passed at a cross road and was wearing t-shirt shorts and plakkies. She yelled out "you stupid SQUID" well I nearly fell off the bike taking her down with me. So it has even rubbed off on her. And like I said she hasn't even seen these posts. Come to think of it I talk so much about it she don't need to read anything on here. Anyway thanks for the info. Would just love to see TB back to its former glory that's all. As I am typing this all I hear are bikes out racing all over.
    Any way. It's just a thought I had. New blood loopholes in the system. I'll still take a peek and see. Not promising anything as I'm sure you all have tried.
    Your all still abviiusly welcome to join the toy run. A fluffy bunny gets you in. Lmao.

Safe riding all.
    A way of life

Bike
    Region
    North West

So stranger how do I go about obtaining a banner and stickers so I can spread the message? And also a thread containing the absolute everything I need to know on educating some folks in my parts?
    See I'm up for the challenge.
    A way of life

I'm not here
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    So stranger how do I go about obtaining a banner and stickers so I can spread the message? And also a thread containing the absolute everything I need to know on educating some folks in my parts?
    You have a mail....
    If you require Safety Training pop us WhatsApp: 062 192 5492

Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Thank you, I can see you are and I can make you one promise, just one.

Getting involved and actually doing something, however small, will be the most satisfying thing that you can do.

Bike
    Region
    North West

Thank you, I can see you are and I can make you one promise, just one.

Getting involved and actually doing something, however small, will be the most satisfying thing that you can do.
    Well Alex and I had a good chat on Saturday. I'm all go on this. I have already given him details on closest courier, so I can get some stuff, however little. Will also try sign some new members up. I say try as I'm not really a salesman. But WILLING to give it a bash. Will spread the word and have,I believe, some volunteers to assist me on the 17th at the Toy Run. Spoke to my brother-in-law who is looking into purchase a bike soon, and he is also more than willing to join the cause. Slow progress but it's progress.
    A way of life

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Also understand and accept (I personally struggle with this) that FB, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. slowly, but surely is destroying the traditional forum. TB did not miss out on this phenomenon.

Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Well Alex and I had a good chat on Saturday. I'm all go on this. I have already given him details on closest courier, so I can get some stuff, however little. Will also try sign some new members up. I say try as I'm not really a salesman. But WILLING to give it a bash. Will spread the word and have,I believe, some volunteers to assist me on the 17th at the Toy Run. Spoke to my brother-in-law who is looking into purchase a bike soon, and he is also more than willing to join the cause. Slow progress but it's progress.
    In that case let me give you a little advice. Don't try too hard and don't stress about any negatives. Just be there and represent. It's not a competition or having a production criteria, its about doing what you believe will be a positive action going forward. Get one person thinking safety and it spreads. don't preach, just be.

Bike
    Region
    North West

In that case let me give you a little advice. Don't try too hard and don't stress about any negatives. Just be there and represent. It's not a competition or having a production criteria, its about doing what you believe will be a positive action going forward. Get one person thinking safety and it spreads. don't preach, just be.
    Will do so. Will also do what ever I can.
    A way of life

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Well said strange fella!

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

What does the TB membership cost and where do we get the bibs, stickers etc. Is it part of a membership pack or how does it work?

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

@Crash... HOWSIT!!!!

I pop into TB from time to time.

I miss the coffee stops.
    I was trying to keep the southern stop going for a while... But interest just started dropping off more and more

I miss the events.
    I used to attend these even when I didn't have a bike... and then later when I had a bike also.

My life has taken so many twists and turns over the last few years... I don't even ride my bike on the road anymore.
    It only goes on the track... and right now... not even that.
    I just started up a new business after parting ways with my business partner at the end of last year so cashflow is a little low yo.
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

I'm not here
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Terence1983 View Post
    What does the TB membership cost and where do we get the bibs, stickers etc. Is it part of a membership pack or how does it work?
    Hi bud,

Follow the link: https://thinkbike.co.za/membership-form/

The membership is on a special for R100 where you get your card, stickers for blood group. bumper and do not remove.
    We also have started with the IDSOS ones as part of this special (basically a QR code sticker with your details if in an emergency
    and you can't speak for yourself). this stickers only has details you supply.
    Bibs, you can order through: shop@thinkbike.co.za -we have Yellow, Black and pink, just ask for sizing.
    we are currently sorting out the shop on the online side.

Bike
    Region
    North West

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    Hi bud,

Follow the link: https://thinkbike.co.za/membership-form/

The membership is on a special for R100 where you get your card, stickers for blood group. bumper and do not remove.
    We also have started with the IDSOS ones as part of this special (basically a QR code sticker with your details if in an emergency
    and you can't speak for yourself). this stickers only has details you supply.
    Bibs, you can order through: shop@thinkbike.co.za -we have Yellow, Black and pink, just ask for sizing.
    we are currently sorting out the shop on the online side.
    HI Terrence. I beleive that it's worth joining. I am month end. Specially for the benifit of The IDSOS code. But also to make a deference.
    A way of life

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I am also interested to join and can rally at least another 3 riders to do so. If I may be permitted to throw a stone in the bush: Would it not make sense for TB to designate different regions per province, with each region to be governed by representative members active in a particular region. In this way the workload can be shared and communities reached more effectively.

I'm not here
    Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    I am also interested to join and can rally at least another 3 riders to do so. If I may be permitted to throw a stone in the bush: Would it not make sense for TB to designate different regions per province, with each region to be governed by representative members active in a particular region. In this way the workload can be shared and communities reached more effectively.
    There are lots of up and coming plans in the pipeline.... watch this space