Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade advice

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Upgrade advice

Ok so I currently own a Yammie SR 250 which I use to commute 60-70km per day. It works great but its old and has drum brakes which are sketchy at best and in the last month the breaks shoes feel like they need replacing, the fork seals are shot and leak badly and the gearbox has starting feeling a bit clunky and some times battles to go into gear or jumps out of gear every now and then but it is due for an oil change soon which could be causing that.

So I am considering taking the SR off the road and building it into a custom bobber which was always the plan anyway.

Now I don't have a huge budget for a replacement, like max 25k but trying to keep it below 20k if possible and trying to stay away from Chinese brands. But I was considering getting a like R5000-10000 little scooter or bike to use while rebuilding the SR but a small bike on the highway is not ideal, I have owned a few 125-150cc scooters and bikes in the past which ive used on my current daily commute just fine but a lot slower LOL

I found a neat looking Suzuki Burgman 400 with 19.5k km on for R23000 on gumtree which I still available. Now ive read some good overseas reviews on these bikes, they seem reliable if looked after and plenty fast enough for longer commuting. I also like the ample storage space of the maxi scooters.

Any comments or anyone own one of these?

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda NC750x & Honda NC750xd
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by Terence1983 View Post
    Ok so I currently own a Yammie SR 250 which I use to commute 60-70km per day. It works great but its old and has drum brakes which are sketchy at best and in the last month the breaks shoes feel like they need replacing, the fork seals are shot and leak badly and the gearbox has starting feeling a bit clunky and some times battles to go into gear or jumps out of gear every now and then but it is due for an oil change soon which could be causing that.

So I am considering taking the SR off the road and building it into a custom bobber which was always the plan anyway.

Now I don't have a huge budget for a replacement, like max 25k but trying to keep it below 20k if possible and trying to stay away from Chinese brands. But I was considering getting a like R5000-10000 little scooter or bike to use while rebuilding the SR but a small bike on the highway is not ideal, I have owned a few 125-150cc scooters and bikes in the past which ive used on my current daily commute just fine but a lot slower LOL

I found a neat looking Suzuki Burgman 400 with 19.5k km on for R23000 on gumtree which I still available. Now ive read some good overseas reviews on these bikes, they seem reliable if looked after and plenty fast enough for longer commuting. I also like the ample storage space of the maxi scooters.

Any comments or anyone own one of these?
    Pm Iron Man on the forum. He should be able to tell you more about the AN

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

They do come with a very solid reputation. I doubt you could go wrong.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks for the replies, Its Jap so should be a good buy.
    Want to watch a few youtube vids tonight and if im still keen il set up a test ride.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

I know someone who has a 400 Burgman. Solid and reliable. He has over 60K km on it and goes literally everywhere with it, including 4 trips (that I know of) down to Durbs and back.
    Cruises happily at 130-140 and tops out at around 160ish.
    It is a bit on the heavy side, but the weight dissappears at anything over 60kmh. Under the seat is a massive black hole that can swallow a helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, small animals, small children and possibly even the wife if she is small enough. Hahahahaha.
    Windscreen vibrates a bit, but not too bad. He found some thick soft rubber washers and put them under the screen somewhere (possibly the mounting bolts) and it is better.
    Fuel consumption is not bad, as he told me he has done 270km on a tank (13 litres, if I am correct).

Good luck with your choice, Terence.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    I know someone who has a 400 Burgman. Solid and reliable. He has over 60K km on it and goes literally everywhere with it, including 4 trips (that I know of) down to Durbs and back.
    Cruises happily at 130-140 and tops out at around 160ish.
    It is a bit on the heavy side, but the weight dissappears at anything over 60kmh. Under the seat is a massive black hole that can swallow a helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, small animals, small children and possibly even the wife if she is small enough. Hahahahaha.
    Windscreen vibrates a bit, but not too bad. He found some thick soft rubber washers and put them under the screen somewhere (possibly the mounting bolts) and it is better.
    Fuel consumption is not bad, as he told me he has done 270km on a tank (13 litres, if I am correct).

Good luck with your choice, Terence.
    Wow sounds good LOL. I just found a low mileage CBX 250 twister for 15k I may go look at this weekend. That is my other option and I may lean the CBX way, always liked their look and their fuel economy.

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Region
    Free State

Wow sounds good LOL. I just found a low mileage CBX 250 twister for 15k I may go look at this weekend. That is my other option and I may lean the CBX way, always liked their look and their fuel economy.
    I love the Twister, but then, I'm biased. I still ride mine, even though I have an NC as well

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Biker
    Bike
    Harley Sportster XL1200C
    Region
    Gauteng

beautiful bikes - also had one. If I had the space at home, I would've kept it

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    beautiful bikes - also had one. If I had the space at home, I would've kept it
    You mean the twister?

Im actually going to look at one this evening, 9000km on the clock for 15k, unsure of year model, add doesn't give the year model. New brakes and tyres, chain and sprockets and looks neat from the pics . The Burgman has 19500km on the clock for 23k and is a 2001 model which is 17 years old already.

From my research, the Twister should be the better buy and at 8k less, the pocket and the minister of finance will be happy. Will def buy a givi or puig screen for it.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Those are both good commuter options (the CBX or Burgman).

Good idea, keeping the SR as a bobber project. Regarding your gear change issues, I doubt its an oil change fix. Sometimes notchy or awkward changes can be sorted out by simply replacing the worn out rubber dampers in the rear wheel. Most riders will have chains and sprockets replaced and never give a thought to these little rubber dampers. But if its jumping out of gear that could indicate wear problems in the gearbox. Not impossible or prohibitively expensive to fix, but will take more out of your wallet.

You can comfortably keep your rebuild under the R20K margin seeing as you already own the bike, if you're going to put in most of the cleaning and spannering work.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    Those are both good commuter options (the CBX or Burgman).

Good idea, keeping the SR as a bobber project. Regarding your gear change issues, I doubt its an oil change fix. Sometimes notchy or awkward changes can be sorted out by simply replacing the worn out rubber dampers in the rear wheel. Most riders will have chains and sprockets replaced and never give a thought to these little rubber dampers. But if its jumping out of gear that could indicate wear problems in the gearbox. Not impossible or prohibitively expensive to fix, but will take more out of your wallet.

You can comfortably keep your rebuild under the R20K margin seeing as you already own the bike, if you're going to put in most of the cleaning and spannering work.
    Thanks for the advice. Its only jumped out of gear once or twice so im hoping its nothing major, may have just been that I didn't shift fully into gear properly. My main issues are the brakes and fork seals which is just wear and tear, other than that, the bike is 100% perfect after almost 3 years and 26500km of almost daily commuting. I may fix the small issues and trade it in on a bigger commuter but im undecided.

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Just to put things in perspective

I remember chasing my Swambo down the 22. Her on a twister, me on my 250 kymco Grand Dink. Of course I had many more years of experience and am considered to be a competent rider.

Could I catch her ...... NO I could not. No one told her to slow down on corners, so she just pinned it and rode every one full throttle. Try that on a superbike and you will see your ****
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

I remember chasing my Swambo down the 22. Her on a twister, me on my 250 kymco Grand Dink. Of course I had many more years of experience and am considered to be a competent rider.

Could I catch her ...... NO I could not. No one told her to slow down on corners, so she just pinned it and rode every one full throttle. Try that on a superbike and you will see your ****
    But then, The Goose never was "just" an average rider

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

No doubt the twisters are nippy little bikes. The one I test rode I have some issues with, I did post my questions in the twister owners thread.

Test ridden, a twister, the burgman 400 rode amazing but paperwork may be an issue so im passing rather, then had my time wasted on a Honda VLX 400 steed last night, bike was barely running as it has been standing for over a year, must have been old pics coz the bike was covered in dust like it hadn't been touched in ages.

Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow
    LOL my SR gets a little wobbly at 120+ on the highway, gets damn scary at times actually and the drum brakes are sketchy at best, had a few close calls already.

Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Ha ha we hear you been there done that.

Have you maybe considered something like the older single cylinder 650 BMW. Fantastic bikes and there are some good ones around for good prices. I used to wring 160-170 out of them and still very stable. Perhaps an option. Very well behaved and great for the commute.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Ha ha we hear you been there done that.

Have you maybe considered something like the older single cylinder 650 BMW. Fantastic bikes and there are some good ones around for good prices. I used to wring 160-170 out of them and still very stable. Perhaps an option. Very well behaved and great for the commute.
    Actually I have been looking at them but most are slightly out of my budget. I may just keep riding the SR for now and save a bit more to get something decent, im in no rush.

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Actually I have been looking at them but most are slightly out of my budget. I may just keep riding the SR for now and save a bit more to get something decent, im in no rush.
    I know an oke that's selling a GS 650 for R40k if you're interested.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    I know an oke that's selling a GS 650 for R40k if you're interested.
    Thanks man, I have come to the realization that keeping the SR for now is the better option seen as petrol is going up once again next month and after this increase I wont even be able to afford finance on a new bike. Getting quotes to repair the small things im not happy with and il be keeping the SR rather.