Thread: Please Help - Was taken for a ride and cant get my bike back.

Lurker
    Bike
    Hyosong gt 650
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Please Help - Was taken for a ride and cant get my bike back.

Hi Guys

Please can any one assist. Here's the story.
    On the 6th of August I gave my motorcycle in for repairs. ( new clutch,new brakes, new tires and fork seals and a service)
    Paid in full and this is where it starts getting interesting....

The guy is never at his shop and is always making excuses. It's been almost a month now and this is my only transport.
    He switches off his phone so I can't get hold of him. And is never at the shop.

I only found out his surname now and its George Eblen and from what I've gathered is that this is not the first time his done this.

If there is any one on this forum that can please give me legal advice of what to do? I need my bike asap as its the only way I can get to work.

I have tried everything in terms of saps and they say its a civil case?

Please extreme desperate here.

Thanks

Bike
    Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade
    Region
    North West

Quote Originally Posted by Biker123 View Post
    Hi Guys

Please can any one assist. Here's the story.
    On the 6th of August I gave my motorcycle in for repairs. ( new clutch,new brakes, new tires and fork seals and a service)
    Paid in full and this is where it starts getting interesting....

The guy is never at his shop and is always making excuses. It's been almost a month now and this is my only transport.
    He switches off his phone so I can't get hold of him. And is never at the shop.

I only found out his surname now and its George Eblen and from what I've gathered is that this is not the first time his done this.

If there is any one on this forum that can please give me legal advice of what to do? I need my bike asap as its the only way I can get to work.

I have tried everything in terms of saps and they say its a civil case?

Please extreme desperate here.

Thanks
    Hi Bud

I feel your pain. Is there no one at the shop at all? Like is this the only guy ever there? If there is someone else then just confront them. If it's just him, then there is a problem. Personally I would stalk the guy. Take 3 days off and camp out at the shop. But that's just me! Or go see a lawyer if you can and get their advise on this matter. See the other post about this guy. I would be relentless about getting my bike back. Use several different numbers to call him. Make an appointment as if you were a new customer looking for a service. Then you get him at the shop. Get SAP or friends to come with you. 4 is better than just 1. Take him on this way. But like I said this is just me.

Good luck in this matter. I hope you come right.
    A way of life

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm not a legal eagle so take what I say with a pinch of salt. I would say your first priority is to get your bike back and second will be to recover the money paid for services not rendered. I would think its only a civil/CPA case if you paid for a service that you did not get. If you cannot even get access to your bike to get it back until service work can be done I would day the bike is then been stolen and you can report it as such. Based on what you wrote can you 100% sure the bike has not been stolen? Maybe get some legal advice first to make sure you can be held liable but if you cannot get access to your bike or have any means to get it back I would just report it as stolen and give the address to the police.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Howzit from a lawyer. The difficulty always is that there is almost never a written agreement concluded between the service provider and the consumer, with the result that one ends up with quotations and invoices and a "he said she said" situation.

Answer the following questions for me to advise you further: (1) Is the service provider a bike repair business, or a private person who only now and then helps out with repairs to a bike out of his backyard; (2) Did you receive a quotation for the repairs indicating the work involved, the parts required and the cost of labour AND the time it will take to complete the work? (3) Did you get a receipt for payment to the service provider? (4) Did you get a tax invoice from the service provider?

Just to respond to the prior post: You handed your bike over to the service provider voluntarily, so you cannot complain of theft. It is indeed a civil matter, more specifically, a consumer related issue arising from your contractual relation with the service provider.

Anyhow, I await your response.