Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you ever try better your fuel economy?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Just an expression. Could have instead said: "full Monty' or " full house"

Sent from my X9 Mini using Tapatalk

Biker
    Bike
    Harley Sportster XL1200C
    Region
    Gauteng

Also using fuelly to track the consumption. Avg is around 5L/100km (20km/L). Did a ride on Saturday to Gas Monkey (was just over 4L/100km - similar for a ride to Dullstroom in December). Bike is a 2008 Sportster 1200

Bike
    Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade
    Region
    North West

Will have to do the full mote then.
    Thanks for the advice.
    A way of life

N00b
    Bike
    NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

I use an app called Road Trip (which I think is iOS only) where I track all expenses for my bike including fuel and services. Gives some great stats over time. Currently getting an average of 3.76l/100km on the NC. My Vespa LX150 only managed an average of 4.9l/100km over the seven years that I had tracked it. Best I've got on the NC between fills is 3.35l/100km (when I first got it and was too afraid to go too fast) and the worst was 4.45l/100km (on a day I went for a ride with some people on much, much faster bikes so I rode a lot faster and harder than usual). I can definitely see a difference in how I ride and how it affects my fuel economy. Switching riding modes for different parts of my commute makes a decent difference too.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    Ok All
    I have a disturbing question with my results entered into that Fuelly site. AVG on same make and model as mine seems to be AVG 5.3 - 6.0. MINE is AVGing out at 8.1 L/100KM. Dealer I purchased bike says this is about normal (Lie to me please!) AVG speed 120 travel open road +- 82 km per day same road every day. Only twist the wrist to beat the cages at traffic lights. Short straights, gets to about 3rd gear. I know I need a new air filter. Bought this bike with a sponge for a filter . Previous guy obviously didn't believe in air filters and it's significance. What else must I be looking at to bring this ridiculous avg to a manageable standard?

Any suggestions?

- A filthy or incorrect air filter will impact in fuel consumption negatively.
    - Look into beating the cars at intersections with a smaller margin and change gear earlier.

How you ride make a huge difference, not just in fuel usage, but also in tyre wear, brakes wear, etc.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    - Look into beating the cars at intersections with a smaller margin and change gear earlier.

How you ride make a huge difference, not just in fuel usage, but also in tyre wear, brakes wear, etc.
    I totally agree. More than half of the last 211 km's I commuted with my bike, was spent riding hard and mostly using the bike's animal mode. The result was 19.7 km/litre as opposed to 21-22km/litre...

I'm now back on standard mode and following the bike's recommended fuel efficiency indicator. It takes considerable self-discipline and restraint to do this, but maybe I will confine my fun-rides for weekends. So, if any members here encounter me on the roads during the week riding like Miss Daisy - I am conserving fuel ok!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

If I ride my bike hard and therefore go to a scenario where I consume more than 19km/l fuel and need to replace tyres and brake pads every 15 000km or so, the bike becomes to expensive to commute with. I therefore ride the bike very gently on the commute. I still win huge amount in time and tyres last as much as double as long and brake pads even more.

Bike
    Region
    North West

Tyre's are ok... I spoke to an Ex-Biker there now that works with me. He stated that maybe the previous owner might have changed jets for more performance. But will this push fuel consumption up as high as what I'm getting? 8.2L / 100KM. Works out at about 12KM/Ltr. I agree with the quick shift instead of hurtling at 120 in say 1st gear. So i really only do that at 1 place as it has a nice curve in the road. Can't help that bit . But usually I putt along not exceeding 120 on the open road. 90% of my trip is open road. Getting in font of the traffic at lights results in quick shifting through the gears as suggested. It's not difficult staying in front of cages. Any other suggestions? I do think at some point in next month getting the bike serviced. But somehow I'm leaning towards the jets story. Unless you guys have another theory. I'm all ears!!
    A way of life

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Warped. I will defer to the technical experts on this forum. All I can say though, is that I have never heard of any bike up to 1000cc's to be so fuel inefficient. 8.2l/100km is terrible for a bike.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

If the jetting was done by an expert it shouldn't cause such a big issue. If done by a non-expert, who knows what impact it could have? Still, do air filter first. Then, a good carb service and check. This is an older bike, with older technology and it clearly wasn't that well maintained (sponge for air filter). There is now easy way to figure out what was done to it to make it so thirsty. It will have to be a step-by-step process.

Bike
    Region
    North West

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    If the jetting was done by an expert it shouldn't cause such a big issue. If done by a non-expert, who knows what impact it could have? Still, do air filter first. Then, a good carb service and check. This is an older bike, with older technology and it clearly wasn't that well maintained (sponge for air filter). There is now easy way to figure out what was done to it to make it so thirsty. It will have to be a step-by-step process.
    I have posted this in the workshop section. Maybe get someone to help that side. I will do what I can from my side to do tests and small things on the bike to see what the cause is. I have removed the old sponge. And yes looks like the last guy didn't like the bike, specially if it's been so poorly maintained. I want to see if the sponge removal will make a difference. Then move onto the next thing. Jets. Then carb settings. But wow R1000.00 + to get this done.
    But will have to do something FAST!
    A way of life

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha SR 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Tyre's are ok... I spoke to an Ex-Biker there now that works with me. He stated that maybe the previous owner might have changed jets for more performance. But will this push fuel consumption up as high as what I'm getting? 8.2L / 100KM. Works out at about 12KM/Ltr. I agree with the quick shift instead of hurtling at 120 in say 1st gear. So i really only do that at 1 place as it has a nice curve in the road. Can't help that bit . But usually I putt along not exceeding 120 on the open road. 90% of my trip is open road. Getting in font of the traffic at lights results in quick shifting through the gears as suggested. It's not difficult staying in front of cages. Any other suggestions? I do think at some point in next month getting the bike serviced. But somehow I'm leaning towards the jets story. Unless you guys have another theory. I'm all ears!!
    Jeepers reading that makes me happy to only ride a 250cc single. My Nissan 1400 bakkie averages 12-15km/l riding semi economically.

Riding style for fuel economy can get really boring if done excessively.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I have posted this in the workshop section. Maybe get someone to help that side. I will do what I can from my side to do tests and small things on the bike to see what the cause is. I have removed the old sponge. And yes looks like the last guy didn't like the bike, specially if it's been so poorly maintained. I want to see if the sponge removal will make a difference. Then move onto the next thing. Jets. Then carb settings. But wow R1000.00 + to get this done.
    But will have to do something FAST!
    Az already responded there. Good advice.

Herman the German
    Bike
    R80GS PD
    Region
    Gauteng

back to the original question: answer: no (after about 700,000 klicks). And no for the next 700,000.
    You don't ride in the rain, you don't ride!

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

When I had the Dorsoduro 1200, I would try my best to ride decently and got decent-ish fuel consumption sometimes.
    When I got the Tuono, I knew it likes to drink the stuff, so I never really tried to get good consumption from it.

If I wanted a fuel efficient bike, I would have bought one, but I knew from the start what I was getting into.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly