Thread: N1 South - 1 August 2018

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

Default N1 South - 1 August 2018

Car changed lanes into fast lane and biker rear ended the car. Was on N1 South this morning just after the N14 interchange. Stopped to checkup on rider - rider was OK. Left the scene once authorities were notified.

Be safe out there!

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Daai N1 bly maar 'n blixem...

Bike
    Honda CRF250R & CBR600RR Trackbike & GTR1400
    Region
    Gauteng

I agree. If I have to take the bike to jhb I prefer to take the R21 even if its 15km further. That N1 stretch has become seriously dangerous. Bikers split at crazy speeds and cars weaving all over. Watching out for cars is one thing but having to deal with bikers as well is another. For some stupid reason I decided to take the N1 today since the gautrain is on slow strike.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I often ride Sandton-Pta East (M1/N1) during a mid-week. I never ride faster than 130-140km/h. I merge with traffic and make my way to the far right lane and pass cars at a speed slightly faster than them. I never lane-share when traffic moves <60km/h and I keep sufficient following distances. So far I have so been able to anticipate and avoid all sorts of issues that I encountered, including those that that road is notorious for, such as cars abruptly switching lanes, braking suddenly etc. Here's the thing I noticed during my use of that freeway: I have never ever overtaken another rider on that freeway (save for a Vespa that I saw once scooting in the far left lane); however, other riders, without exception, fly past me at a speed that makes me double-check that I'm not actually on a 125cc delivery bike, when, in fact, I'm doing 130km/h. I suspect that many riders view the M1/N1 as a racetrack not caring that they share that freeway with motorists, many of whom do not hesitate to switch lanes in anticipation of slower moving vehicles up ahead (or just because they got an urge), or to take an off-ramp at the last minute, or who are (all too often) farting about with their cellphones. A special mention must go to drivers of German-type vehicles who also weave in-between lanes doing <140km/h in their hurry to fokalleenweet. Maybe there is some kind of thrill one gets by riding <200 on that freeway, I don't know. Perhaps one of the more senior members on this forum could give some insight into this M1/N1 biker phenomenon...

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Maybe the N1 flyers are all inspired by Ghost Rider
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdStgg0x8w

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KNOT View Post
    I agree. If I have to take the bike to jhb I prefer to take the R21 even if its 15km further. That N1 stretch has become seriously dangerous. Bikers split at crazy speeds and cars weaving all over. Watching out for cars is one thing but having to deal with bikers as well is another. For some stupid reason I decided to take the N1 today since the gautrain is on slow strike.
    +1 for R21 if i ever need to go to north.
    Less traffic and speeders.