Thread: Zontes Bikes (ZT310R)

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Zontes Bikes (ZT310R)

Anyone have any experience with Zontes?

This new ZT310R doesn't look too hideous - minus the cheap name designation sticker job.

http://www.zabikers.co.za/2018/07/12...ontes-zt310-r/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

It’ll be interesting to see whether much traction will be had as its closely priced to the Kawa 300

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see whether much traction will be had as its closely priced to the Kawa 300
    I read somewhere it touched R64k which makes it too expensive. Only about R2k cheaper than the BMW G310R and about R10k below the Kawa.

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    I read somewhere it touched R64k which makes it too expensive. Only about R2k cheaper than the BMW G310R and about R10k below the Kawa.
    Yeah, R64k for the Zontes, R69k for the BMW.

Still not much of a difference to justify a non-established brand... Oh well, if the Zontes were cheaper it might have been interesting to try out, pretty well specced out for a basic bike (Keyless entry, ABS Brakes, Electrically accessible fuel cap, LED headlight, LED driving lights, Upside down front suspension)

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Harvs View Post
    Yeah, R64k for the Zontes, R69k for the BMW.

Still not much of a difference to justify a non-established brand... Oh well, if the Zontes were cheaper it might have been interesting to try out, pretty well specced out for a basic bike (Keyless entry, ABS Brakes, Electrically accessible fuel cap, LED headlight, LED driving lights, Upside down front suspension)
    They will suffer the same problem many of the Chinese and Indian brand cars are suffering. At a slightly cheaper price, they offer more in terms of features, but it is not enough for the SA market to change to an unknown brand.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Looks quite sharp, however, as with most Chinese offerings in the motor world, lets see how it holds up after a year or two, and with a bit of serious mileage. Unfortunately the Chinese offerings we have seen in SA thus far are generally pretty crap!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa 1 View Post
    Looks quite sharp, however, as with most Chinese offerings in the motor world, lets see how it holds up after a year or two, and with a bit of serious mileage. Unfortunately the Chinese offerings we have seen in SA thus far are generally pretty crap!
    True, but they were mainly dropped by the South African importer and reseller. Look at GWM /Haval which is imported and sold by Imperial (the same people who started Toyota SA many decades ago. The GWM bakkies are slowly, but surely creeping up in the top 10 selling lists.

Also look at the 390 KTM and 310 BMW. They are from India, but in SA distributed by KTM and BMW, ergo, problems if they appear, sorted by the dealer.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    They will suffer the same problem many of the Chinese and Indian brand cars are suffering. At a slightly cheaper price, they offer more in terms of features, but it is not enough for the SA market to change to an unknown brand.
    What he said. Perhaps down the line - if properly supported and marketed - they'll grow in perceived value. But right now you're better off paying a bit more for the Japanese competition or watch your money fall through the floor on the resale. Vespa 1's comment also holds true. There are levels of quality and the Zontes may prove to be around the Hyosung level - which is good for a Chinese offering, but not for the price.

KTM and BMW may be building smaller bikes in India but that's because of the massive market there. The quality's fine, just as right-hand drive C-Class Mercs get built here in Africa. As long as the factory operates to the right standards and the manufacturers aren't cutting too many corners, it doesn't really matter where the factory is located anymore.

But one point in closing: no-one talks about Jap (S)crap anymore.....
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Agreed Banditman and I have no doubt that the Chinese and Indians will eventually rule the roost in the small bike market.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

You and me both, mate. I think they already do. After all, most of the Japanese 125 commuters (YBR, XR etc) are being built by their factories in China. I stand to be corrected but I think that for 2017 China made around 13 million bikes and the Indians around 8 million.

When people tell me the bike market is dying I call BS. The market for R250K + toys for Westernised societies may be shrinking (for some very good reasons), but the market for bikes definitely isn't dying. Its only "dying" if you have contempt for small bikes. There are some lovely smaller bikes being made and which we never see. I know, here I go again.

I think its time I posted something I've been writing on thoughts in this regard.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Well, BMW clearly stated that they are getting into bed via joint ventures with companies in India, Thailand, Brazil, etc. specifically to develop and build smaller than 500cc bikes because they want to grow their sales and market share and the way to do it, is those markets.

We have been in a very protective market in SA, so we don't always know where our products come from. Smaller than 500cc bikes have been made in many countries, other than where you would think. Also, our market is so small, none of the manufacturers worry too much about us and it also means, our market is not indication of what is happening in the world.

As an example, my wife had a Ford Kuga. The hot one with a braai grid instead of a bonnet. Since the Kuga was launched in SA they sold a couple, but those with the fiery issue, sold in a two year period, was about 6500 cars. They sell 6500 Ford Kuga in China in a single month!

In May 2017 they sold 1.5 million bikes in China. In May 2018 they sold 1.42 million. Read that again. No typo. Over a million bikes sold in a single month! Bike sales are up, 2017 to 2018, by almost 27% in India and in Feb 2018 the six OEM manufacturers sold 1.6 million bikes!