Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit and Run - Rivonia (Edenburg)

Bike
    Suzuki GSX 1340 B-King
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Hit and Run - Rivonia (Edenburg)

Got side swiped by a black Polo speeding out of a little shopping centre on 7th Avenue just off Rivonia Road, heading towards Randburg, luckily saw it coming and instead of trying to hit the brakes, I opened the throttle, so he hit me square on the boot with his nr plate, and by the cracking sounds my pegs and swing arm took out his bumper and possibly headlight too.
    When I pulled off to the kerb and looked back, he was gone. People standing by the road witnessing it say he just pulled away fast and sped off in the opposite direction!
    Seems the King just took some scratches, and one of my rear caliper floating bolts snapped from the shock/ impact.
    Foot feels positively bruised, and pulsing...
    If anyone has the means to track his nr plate number, I'd be much obliged.

Cheers, J.P.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Geez buddy! Glad you are OK! PM Jadd or Buelligan. I know Buelligan has done it for me in the past. Not sure if he is still active here though.
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Jack of all trades
    Bike
    Aprilia 650 (Sold) Honda CR250 Honda NC750 (Stolen) Honda VFR1200 (Sold)BMW F800GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
    Got side swiped by a black Polo speeding out of a little shopping centre on 7th Avenue just off Rivonia Road, heading towards Randburg, luckily saw it coming and instead of trying to hit the brakes, I opened the throttle, so he hit me square on the boot with his nr plate, and by the cracking sounds my pegs and swing arm took out his bumper and possibly headlight too.
    When I pulled off to the kerb and looked back, he was gone. People standing by the road witnessing it say he just pulled away fast and sped off in the opposite direction!
    Seems the King just took some scratches, and one of my rear caliper floating bolts snapped from the shock/ impact.
    Foot feels positively bruised, and pulsing...
    If anyone has the means to track his nr plate number, I'd be much obliged.

Cheers, J.P.
    Glad to see you come out of it okish

You may never know what result come from your actions.
    But if you do nothing, there will be no result.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    CBR1000R, GSX650F
    Region
    Gauteng

Glad you ok. Did you manage to track the plate?

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Also happy you ok. Its for this reason that I now always make an effort of positioning myself in-between cars to avoid fckdup drivers from hitting me from behind. I learned this lesson when I was in heavy traffic on Joe Slovo in the Berea area on my way to Alberton, when a lady on her phone bumped into my back tyre. The traffic was not moving in front or either side of me at the time and she approached the tailend of the stuck traffic from behind me where I was stationery RIGHT in front of her smack in the middle of the middle lane. She was utterly non-apologetic insisting that it was my fault questioning me what a bike or "special vehicle" was doing on the road anyway. Even though I was DIRECTLY in front of her in broad daylight wearing reflective gear falling immediately short of phosphorous illumination, she still maintained that she did not see me and stating that she did not wake up that morning on a mission to collide into a bike. Oh, and she insisted that she is fully experienced to manage a cellphone whilst driving her car and everybody does it.

Anyways, be safe out there.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW S1000XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    Also happy you ok. Its for this reason that I now always make an effort of positioning myself in-between cars to avoid fckdup drivers from hitting me from behind. I learned this lesson when I was in heavy traffic on Joe Slovo in the Berea area on my way to Alberton, when a lady on her phone bumped into my back tyre. The traffic was not moving in front or either side of me at the time and she approached the tailend of the stuck traffic from behind me where I was stationery RIGHT in front of her smack in the middle of the middle lane. She was utterly non-apologetic insisting that it was my fault questioning me what a bike or "special vehicle" was doing on the road anyway. Even though I was DIRECTLY in front of her in broad daylight wearing reflective gear falling immediately short of phosphorous illumination, she still maintained that she did not see me and stating that she did not wake up that morning on a mission to collide into a bike. Oh, and she insisted that she is fully experienced to manage a cellphone whilst driving her car and everybody does it.

Anyways, be safe out there.
    You should've asked to use her phone to phone someone then thrown it into the veld/off a bridge etc.

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Damn right KingMikel! I was tempted to remove her from her car keys that way.

I'm considering now getting a tankbag to stock with eggs for those motorists who earn themselves one on their windshield, but I'm worried that it would just make keck for other bike riders. Perhaps one of the marshalls or other thinkbike veterans here could enlighten me here if such course of action would be acceptable or not?

Biker
    Bike
    2012 CBR600F
    Region
    Western Cape

Totally unacceptable actually! People are distracted by many things... people's driving skills are not what they should be... people's attitudes are very questionable... but why lower yourself the that level.? Rather ride defensively, believe you are invisible and try to stay safe...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by capetownbandit View Post
    Totally unacceptable actually! People are distracted by many things... people's driving skills are not what they should be... people's attitudes are very questionable... but why lower yourself the that level.? Rather ride defensively, believe you are invisible and try to stay safe...
    +1000! Well said.

However much it endangers us, bad driving is not personal and should not be seen as such. Ride defensively and within your limitations and enjoy the ride instead of being at war with everyone on the road, but yourself.

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Well, AMZ & capetownbandid, you settled it for me. I will save myself the expense of a tankbag then

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

And here I thought AMZ would egg you on

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Only yolking

Biker
    Bike
    2012 CBR600F
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Only yolking
    but AMZ doesn't ride a scrambler.......

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

But he is always sunny side up.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX 1340 B-King
    Region
    Gauteng

The first point of impact was the nr plate hitting my boot, leaving the plate in the road for me to pick up, and it's now in an evidence bag handed in at the police station. So he can't quite say it wasn't him...
    But, still no police feedback, no case number, no idea if it's being investigated at all.
    A friend enquired and found out it's a Black Jazz from Riviera, Pretoria.
    But, that's all I currently know.
    I'll give it a few days, then resort to involving a lawyer. I'm not going to sit back and let people think it's no big deal to just flat foot the accelerator while aiming your car directly at a person on a bike. I saw this car a few 100m ahead of the accident, so they should have seen me too, having a yellow lense protector with a nightbreaker headlight bulb.
    I'm just glad reflexes took over to accelerate out of his way, as soon as I saw him start pulling off to get into the road, in like 10m ahead of me.

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

The first point of impact was the nr plate hitting my boot, leaving the plate in the road for me to pick up, and it's now in an evidence bag handed in at the police station. So he can't quite say it wasn't him...
    But, still no police feedback, no case number, no idea if it's being investigated at all.
    A friend enquired and found out it's a Black Jazz from Riviera, Pretoria.
    But, that's all I currently know.
    I'll give it a few days, then resort to involving a lawyer. I'm not going to sit back and let people think it's no big deal to just flat foot the accelerator while aiming your car directly at a person on a bike. I saw this car a few 100m ahead of the accident, so they should have seen me too, having a yellow lense protector with a nightbreaker headlight bulb.
    I'm just glad reflexes took over to accelerate out of his way, as soon as I saw him start pulling off to get into the road, in like 10m ahead of me.
    Glad you aren't seriously injured!

I believe no case number usually means it won't be investigated? They should have issued a case number if there was an evidence bag?

Hope they catch the MF'er!

Bike
    Suzuki GSX 1340 B-King
    Region
    Gauteng

I've only been working in Rivonia for a few weeks, so don't know the area at all. Looked on my gps for the closest copshop, and it directed me to Edenburg Police station, which turned out to be a residential complex, so miss pinned.
    Headed to my one closest to home, but they have to send the docket to Sandton, so it will probably (hopefully) get a case number once it gets there?

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

I've only been working in Rivonia for a few weeks, so don't know the area at all. Looked on my gps for the closest copshop, and it directed me to Edenburg Police station, which turned out to be a residential complex, so miss pinned.
    Headed to my one closest to home, but they have to send the docket to Sandton, so it will probably (hopefully) get a case number once it gets there?
    you should have been given some sort of temporary reference at least.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX 1340 B-King
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    Unfortunately I have no experience in this regard, so I could only go on what I was told by the officers taking my statement...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post

There is no temporary reference. If a case is transferred to another jurisdiction, it will take a few days for a Case Number to be issued.

Unfortunately I have no experience in this regard, so I could only go on what I was told by the officers taking my statement...
    Just follow up regularly.