Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    N00b
    Bike
    CBX250
    Region
    Gauteng

Default KTM Duke 390 as upgrade

Hi guys

First time poster here. Have come hunting for info on my twister before (thanks for the awesome contributions) but now I need to ask a question.

So the subject and 1st paragraph sums up where I come from and where I'm intending to go to

I tried searching but only found info of a few years old. I believe the 1st few generations of the Duke had some issues but they have been sorted... Correct?

Any 2018 or 2017 Duke owners out there that can comment on problems or can give their experience of owning one?

Thanks all!

Ps. It will be used for my daily non highway commute in jhb.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

I don't know much and just bought a Twister for obvious reasons. However I did look at options as well.

It seems like a nice bike. It looks very good but I would almost rather go for a Honda NC700x which should be at the same price range?

It just seems like a better bike over all. better value for money if you compare them head on on paper.

edit: I only looked at the older versions closer to my price range so cannot comment on the latest models at all

Oh and welcome^^ sorry

N00b
    Bike
    CBX250
    Region
    Gauteng

Hehh.. no sweat.

Yeah I read your "Lets buy a bike" thread. You won't go wrong with the twister. I've been happily served by mine for a few years now. Congratz!

Yeah was looking at the Honda, but the duke is R75k whilst the NC750x is R101k which takes it out of my budget.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by abudabi View Post
    Hehh.. no sweat.

Yeah I read your "Lets buy a bike" thread. You won't go wrong with the twister. I've been happily served by mine for a few years now. Congratz!

Yeah was looking at the Honda, but the duke is R75k whilst the NC750x is R101k which takes it out of my budget.
    Thanks man.. Wow I did not know the new prices were that high. Ok yeah that explains the reason clearly. Good luck. I will see what the experts say here about the 390

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I am reasonably sure KTM will have sorted their teething issues with the 390 by now and I have heard there is a 390 Adventure on the way as well. I am just not sure if a 390 is a big enough upgrade from the Twister.

If you look around, there are quite a few NC700/750's available at R75k. Roughly 3 years old with less than 20k km's. They may be worth a 2nd look.

N00b
    Bike
    CBX250
    Region
    Gauteng

Yeah I saw the spy shots of the adventure. The new 790 seems an incredible machine with great tech (bosch's cornering ABS) that will be a worthy upgrade, but alas.. R150k

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I tried all of the KTM road bikes, including the 790 when it launched. Only the 1290 adventurer stirred some excitement. The 790 felt plasticky and was like going about on a gokart. If I was in your shoes, I would stick with what you got for your type of city commutes for now until you can later afford to spend bobs on a new all rounder bike that you could comfortably use on motorways and fun times over weekends.

Sent from my X9 Mini using Tapatalk

N00b
    Bike
    CBX250
    Region
    Gauteng

After suppressing the itch and saving some more, I went to collect my duke 790 on Friday.

The grin hasn't worn off yet. 😁

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

the 790 is a peach - enjoy
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

N00b
    Bike
    CBX250
    Region
    Gauteng

Hehe..a peach indeed. Man the thing is a beast. I was sooo suprised how much more power it has than the 390 I tested. Glad I took my time and saved as I'm sure I would have gotten bored of the 390 very quickly.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Tiger 800XCA
    Region
    Gauteng

remember that irrespective of your age and riding experience, research has shown that a rider is most at risk approx 4-5 months after getting on a new bike

that is the peak danger period where you are just sufficiently comfortable with your new bike for you to start having brain farts

be safe out there and enjoy the bike
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you know; but when you listen, you learn something new.

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Hehe..a peach indeed. Man the thing is a beast. I was sooo suprised how much more power it has than the 390 I tested. Glad I took my time and saved as I'm sure I would have gotten bored of the 390 very quickly.
    Awesome!

Now go and post a photo and update your profile with the new bike.

Have fun and stay super safe!
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

After suppressing the itch and saving some more, I went to collect my duke 790 on Friday.

The grin hasn't worn off yet. 😁
    Share the pron and first impressions report.