Thread: Advice needed: M1 North to South to M2 East

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Advice needed: M1 North to South to M2 East

Using "bikers lane" with bumper2bumper traffic all lanes traveling between 25-30km/hr when, at 4:55pm, a fellow biker approached from my rear tailending me and revving hard at me. I could not make way with cars either side of me. Eventually, a car on my left moved to further left lane and, as I proceeded to use that gap to make way, rider behind me zipped into it and passed me. Close call. As he sped ahead in "bikers lane" at double my speed, he expressed his displeasure at me with gestures. Did not expect fellow bikers to be dose. Or was I somehow in the wrong?

Sent from my X9 Mini using Tapatalk

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

The tailending started just after Empire Rd en route to Booysens split.

Sent from my X9 Mini using Tapatalk

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

As there are considerate .and inconciderate car drivers, so too are there riders who believe they have right of way. You ride according to your comfort zone, and give way when you can. I don't see you having done anything wrong.
    Be safe out there.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Unfortunately, Assholes ride bikes too!
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Just to be sure, that biker was the ********.

For future reference, if you do get caught from behind by another biker, indicate to him that you have seen him and then, when safe to do so, move over for him.

Davey Jones Marsupial
    Bike
    Honda CR250 Honda NC750 (Stolen) BMW F800GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

There's a chop born everyday and he is one of them.
    As AMZ said, split at a safe speed, if the chop has an issue he can wait till it is safe for you to move over.

You may never know what result come from your actions.
    But if you do nothing, there will be no result.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

I beg to differ in response,
    you see i ride daily and have had this experience before then i once followed another biker and had to stay behind him slowly trekking the whole way, case is, there are bikers who believe that riding at a good pace in traffic is safer than riding slower and vice-versa and when you have a good pace and someone is riding slower ahead of you you do tend to lose patience.
    My advise, if there are lights behind you and you can feel that the rider is pushing you to go faster than you are comfortable, find a spot to clear out the way and allow them to move past.
    we all bought bikes for different reasons and allow people to enjoy them in the way they want to even if they are risking their own lives.

sorry to hear that happened to you though.
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

how long did this tail ending go on for? (distance wise)

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

About 200m.

Trust me, I always try and find a gap in a lane when I spot a fellow rider approaching from behind. Its just that, on this occasion, the cars on my sides were too close to me and I could not share any lane to allow the rider behind me to pass.

Anyways, this past Friday, at more or less the same spot, I was able to gave way to a train of about 4 riders who came up behind me. The train was led by a scooter followed by a GS and a few superbikes who were traveling at +/- 60km/hr in the "biker lane". I followed the train for a while, but had to let them go as I don't like splitting at that speed, especially with the lanes narrowing through past Rissik Street off-ramp.

Maybe I'm just a p***y when it comes to lane splitting through bumper-to-bumper traffic....

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW & Small Yamaha
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

No foul from you. Carry on.

If he was only behind you for 200m (insignificant in distance and time) and you moved over as soon as you could you were a model rider. Well Done to you and a finger up to him for his inconsiderate attitude, lack of patience and respect for others.

It was not me...
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    ninja 250r - sold :( NC700x :D
    Region
    Gauteng

yeah 200m imo isnt bad provided there were no gaps. as for the speed on splitting, imo more than 40km above the traffic flow is rough, i.e if the cars are doing 20 i might maybe do close to 60, but again really depends.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Cars were mainly at a standstill and intermittently going forward at +/- 5-10km/hr.