Thread: M1 Sandton past Booysens split to M2 East

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Default M1 Sandton past Booysens split to M2 East

Are there any bike commuters here traveling the M1-North around JHB CBD taking M2-East? If so, any tips navigating this route during peak hours?

I am considering this highway route to break up my existing routine trip through Killarney/Houghton using road past Ellispark to get to Heidelberg Road. I'm just not sure how easy the highway trip will be in comparison though and would appreciate some input from riders who has some experience traveling on that highway.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Bloufieterjoel

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

It's really a nice route, a tad bumpy by the Double Decker (you gonna have to find your sweet spot - I find my scoot likes a different line compared to my bike).

I do Empire to Maritzburg daily.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

crash test dummy

Bike
    go moto 300c (retired), nc700x,(accident) Ducati scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    Are there any bike commuters here traveling the M1-North around JHB CBD taking M2-East? If so, any tips navigating this route during peak hours?

I am considering this highway route to break up my existing routine trip through Killarney/Houghton using road past Ellispark to get to Heidelberg Road. I'm just not sure how easy the highway trip will be in comparison though and would appreciate some input from riders who has some experience traveling on that highway.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Bloufieterjoel
    Just a reminder, that some sections are a tad narrower than others, so when splitting be very aware, of the gaps around you.

Other than that a lekker ride, or the other alternative- klipriveir to M1 (goldreef side) then on to Dbl decker. This has some nice bends, but remember the speed cameras!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNQ...pD5zyLRFApEf0w
    @TB_Banners
    What I say is from me, nobody else, deal with it

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Joh, the M1 East to North was a nightmare this morning at +/- 08h30, so I climbed off to use the back roads to Rosebank. Wonder what the issue was...

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    Joh, the M1 East to North was a nightmare this morning at +/- 08h30, so I climbed off to use the back roads to Rosebank. Wonder what the issue was...
    Heard it was botched road maintenance/construction. Then there was protest action on N3, probably had a ripple effect and affected M1.