Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lets buy a bike!

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks Pirate.

Yes it just feels like a waste if I buy the leathers and cannot use the pants but my concern is will I get a better jacket for that price anyware? Protection wise mainly. I'm not worried about being too warm or waterproof. I commute the mornings and afternoons and when I eventually start driving in the rain I will get a high-viz rain suit

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

The best advice I can give you, is to go to a dealership near you, try on various jackets, check prices and have a chat to those guys. You have the time to do your research. If you didn't have time on your side, I would say buy now. But you have time, so get your info, make your decision and enjoy every moment thereof.
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Biker

Bike
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Region
    Gauteng

I ride with a metalize mesh jacket in summer which goes for around R1800 and a metalize adventure jacket in winter which goes for R2360. (Both at 6/5 XL)

Both have a good construction and decent protection (Have not put it to the test though). Wisdom would suggest helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, pants is the order to buy gear in. That said I am only now looking for boots after getting the pants as they tend to be on the higher price range and don't seem to fit me all that well.

Pants are xkulcha easy overs and just added xkulcha cargo pants. Both pairs needed to be custom made and go for around R2400 each.

Find a set that fits you comfortably.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks guys.
    @Pirate: Thats good advice however I don't always trust dealerships. Remember they want you to buy so obviously they will have 10 reason why not to take a secondhand leather jacket^^ I need advice from you experts on here before I walk into the lions den.

@zafroggy: I'm really not skimping on the gear and judging from the costs my overall gear will cost around R8000 - R9000 where I budgeted for R5k lol.

-Helmet: HJC IS17 helmet,
    -Boots: Alpinestars Roam 2 boots,
    -Jacket: Berik leather jacket if there is none better for R2300. I really cant afford 2 jackets so need one for every time so need one that can do it all except worry about the rain
    -Pants: I see some places sell Xkulchas overpants and jeans for R1600 or around that price. Probably won't find my size with my luck.
    -Gloves: I aim at anything around R500-R900. Rospas, Rayvens.. Alpinestars and RST seems to be above the budget.

I'm price checking the local shops for gloves and pants so have to work with those and go check them out in person. SMPA, Motorcycle-world, Tracmac and Madmacs .

In the end I went for way better/more expensive boots and helmet so I have to stick to the R2500 for pants and gloves.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    It would be hard to say for me, as I can't see the pants on you etc. and I don't have that much experience with pants.
    I've tested it tonight again. Actually it feels worse than it looks I guess. I took to photos and tested it around the block. Feels fine riding with the suit. I did not zip teh jacket to teh pants and have to pull the pants up rather high to ensure it fist ok on the legs. Please excuse the cheap AMA helmet ..just temporary before I go get the Is17 ^^

I know its probably an overkill for commuting but I can get it for way less. So when you guys see a noob on a 250cc with full leathers what is usually your thoughts?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BloodLeshen View Post
    Thanks AMZ. i'll be honest and full leathers are an overkill but my colleague have them and they're in good condition so assumed the pants and jacket would fit however now only the jacket fits. I've been looking at other commuter riding jackets and most cost over the R2000 price tag so I only consider this leathers if they will protect me better for the same price or not?
    Keep in mind that a jacket have two purposes. The obvious one is protection. The other one is keeping you warm in winter and cool in summer. Leather, in general, don't do well in these areas. Personally, I feel R2300 for a Berik leather jacket (even if you throw the pants away) is a reasonably good price, but then you need to keep in mind that in winter you will need something extra underneath and in summer you will take some strain in terms of heat. It can become very uncomfortable and especially since, on commute, you will not be moving for periods.

It is always a balance between what you can afford, level of protection and level of comfort and we each experience that differently. I believe helmet and gloves need to be very good quality. Jacket and pants I lean towards comfort. I understand it will protect me, but only once, unlike leather which will do the job a few times.

For commuting I believe in the X-Kulcha EasyOvers as they easily go over a work pants and is easily taken off again. I also know that if you do take a tumble with any X-Kulcha gear, they will replace it free of charge. So, for me on commute:

- Textile jacket. ( I have both winter and summer jacket)
    - All weather gloves
    - X-Kulcha Easy Over
    - All Round boots

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks AMZ.

I will rather sacrifice a level of comfort for safety. Even in my car I've never used the aircon during the hottest days except if my wife was with me. I'll sweat it out and drop the windows. My comfort never really matters. Most things I like I can live without and I ALWAYS have water with me.

I would rather get a good quality all season gear that's way safer than getting two pairs of everything for summer or winter for way cheaper with less protection.

-Gloves and boots must be waterproof and breathable. My hands will get cold at 100kmph even during the summer mornings.
    -Jacket: mainly protection. I can layer during winter and during summer I'll drink water
    -Pants I will still buy a pair of X-Kulcha EasyOvers. If i need an alternative I can use the leather pants. Also the leather pants may help during the winter and since they're slightly bigger I can even use them over regular pants. It's not like I'm on the track.
    -For rain I will probably buy a high-vez rain suit next year that I can wear over my gear.
    I'll layer during winter and get a balaclava and neck wind protection

So I guess then I will buy the Berik suite. I can use the jacket always and occasionally swop the pants for easy overs depending on seasons.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks AMZ.

I will rather sacrifice a level of comfort for safety. Even in my car I've never used the aircon during the hottest days except if my wife was with me. I'll sweat it out and drop the windows. My comfort never really matters. Most things I like I can live without and I ALWAYS have water with me.

I would rather get a good quality all season gear that's way safer than getting two pairs of everything for summer or winter for way cheaper with less protection.

-Gloves and boots must be waterproof and breathable. My hands will get cold at 100kmph even during the summer mornings.
    -Jacket: mainly protection. I can layer during winter and during summer I'll drink water
    -Pants I will still buy a pair of X-Kulcha EasyOvers. If i need an alternative I can use the leather pants. Also the leather pants may help during the winter and since they're slightly bigger I can even use them over regular pants. It's not like I'm on the track.
    -For rain I will probably buy a high-vez rain suit next year that I can wear over my gear.
    I'll layer during winter and get a balaclava and neck wind protection

So I guess then I will buy the Berik suite. I can use the jacket always and occasionally swop the pants for easy overs depending on seasons.

Like I said earlier, we all see this in a different way and therefore have different needs and opinions. Forgive me and others for seemingly pushing in a direction. We talk with years and years of experience. Your choices are not bad, but I just think there are better options and that you may be in for some surprises over the coming year. That is not a bad thing, just part of the learning curve. So, some final thoughts:

Comfort and safety goes hand in hand. This is especially true for heat in summer and extreme cold in winter.
    Gloves and boots: There is no such thing as 100% waterproof. Trust me on that.
    Layering: Works okay to a point, but it does increase discomfort and discomfort can lead to lack of concentration while riding and/or ability to move around as and when needed. Keep this in mind.
    Leather: Not that great at keeping the cold out and really great in keeping the heat in.

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Remember you won't be in a car, small discomforts will be magnified on a bike.
    You need your full attention to the road, traffic lights, road condition, your bike, other road users, dogs, cats, squirrels, etc etc etc.

I got a textile "waterproof" all-weather jacket, thing is HOT ASF in summer. ALL i could think about was how effing hot it was while riding on the bike ie. i was concentrating on something OTHER than the road and bike. I ended up buying a mesh summer jacket at Nexo Sport in Rivonia for, if i remember correctly, R1500 or R1800.

Looks like pretty decent protection for really good price, see if any motorcycle places down that side stock maybe.

Try not to rush too much, take your time and consider the options.
    Try on different jackets and see what options you can work with.

I agree with AMZ about layering, you don't want too much on which would impede comfort or manoeuvrability. When i layer its usually only with compression/insulation t-shirt or vest, shirt, long sleeve top/thin jacket, riding jacket.

Pants: I definitely recommend xKulcha, they can tailor and custom fit the pants specifically for you. I'd get the breezy-over though, the easy-overs are extremely hot and do not breathe at all. Since you getting proper rain gear later, they would be fine in wet weather.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks guys for all the advice

I'll check for those breezy overs and the mesh summer jacket then as an alternative for now. I won't most likely be driving this winter yet. Rain will be only next years problem.

Got so many stuff to sort out and can usually only do 1 thing every Saturday because most places is only open 8-13:00 Saturdays.

Roadworthy certificate
    Licensing the bike
    Appointment for learners

Each must be done at 8 am or it's useless so that means a Saturday set aside for each one.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Roadworthy certificate
    Licensing the bike
    Appointment for learners

Each must be done at 8 am or it's useless so that means a Saturday set aside for each one.
    Sterkte with that!