Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets buy a bike!

Biker
    Bike
    Twister, Wee-Strom
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi BloodLeshen

If I commute on my bike, also a Twister, I go from Pinehurst, through Brackenfell, Stellenbosch to Somerset West.

When you are ready to start commuting on the Twister, give me a call, we can ride it together.

B

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Hey Byron

I will do thanks man.

I will post pics once it's all sorted.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by BloodLeshen View Post
    Haha. Well I called him and no one else jumped me. You see I believe in God. I believe everything works out the way it should so I pray hard before I buy something big and really think about it and usually if it works out it was meant to be and if not it was not meant to be. People make stupid choices based on what the flesh wants and honestly my flesh wants that bike^^ If I buy everything I want then i would have no money and would probably have tons of stuff. I told myself if another buyer calls him before today and he gets a better offer then so be it.

Anyway this wasn't the case so we will sort the paperwork out tonight. I will do the RWC thing tomorrow hopefully since it will save me two trips to the Traffic dept. My colleague buys and sells secondhand cars every month and he says usually the transfer dept. is closed on Saturdays. In Stellenbosch anyways. Maybe Bellville is different? So I will have to do this during the week. Also do not have gear yet since this moved fast so hopefully can get gloves and helmet Monday from my colleague - if it fits.

The current owner give his helmet with as well but it's slightly loose. Luckily he lives 5km from me and I live around 4km from the closest Roadworthy station who by the way asks R408 for a bike -_-. But guess it has to be done.
    Well done sir!

This is just about the ideal buy. Well cared-for bike with a full history by a mature owner who's selling at a fair price & not trying to make a fortune.

Get a decent helmet which fits you correctly as an urgency. Unless you're a politician you can't live without your brain.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    Well done sir!

This is just about the ideal buy. Well cared-for bike with a full history by a mature owner who's selling at a fair price & not trying to make a fortune.

Get a decent helmet which fits you correctly as an urgency. Unless you're a politician you can't live without your brain.
    Hi Thanks Banditman.

I'm picking up the bike tonight. Transferred ownership this weekend and just waited for the money to show and got the verification today.

Before I Buy a new helmet I am looking at a friend's Shark S900c and some Berik gear. He barely used it back when he had a GSX750R so if they fit perfectly I may make an offer. If not then I will have to go shop. I assume in this order. helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and shoes. I do have some wellington boots, construction shoes and also genuine leather Cats that could work for now since I won't be driving much yet until the learners at least. For now I'll take it around the block and parking lots. Mainly for insurance purposes. Best places to shop for gear in the western cape? And by best I'm talking about the best value for money because thus far I estimate a full set of gear to be over R5000 -_-

Bike will for now also be parked in the living room so should be safest there and acts as a decent sculpture for interior design.

Regarding photos: I have the photo the owner posted online but it was a very poor quality (Which I'm glad cause less people made offers^^). Once I have it I will try take some decent photos. Its the black with red CBX. The owner added red rim stickers and a redish tank sticker so they compliment the main colors very well.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Hi BloodLeshen,

Congratulations again, you scored one of those gem deals from the sound of it.

100% on the "gear acquisition" order. You can use a decent pair of work boots or CATs as a workable solution for now, especially with the typical speeds you'll be doing and which the CBX is capable of. For Western Cape dealerships wait on word from the guys down there who're in the know.

CBX'es changed very little over time. The earliest ones have different tank and tailpiece plastics & silver rims. After that they vary between black or metallic charcoal rims & sharper plastics, with different stickers. Great little bikes.

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Congrats, man. I'm pretty sure you won't regret the buy.

The helmet is by far the most important, and most crucial. I got a helmet with the bike, felt like it was 3 sizes too large and I did not feel comfortable riding with it. I bought a new one shortly after, and got a great deal where the store I bought it from gave me a pair of leather riding gloves with the helmet. 2 for 1 deal kind of thing. Score.

Everything else is of equal importance, but you can risk certain things (for example, right now I risk my legs 'cause I don't ride with proper riding pants). Substituting proper riding boots with safety workboots or CAT's I'd say is only good for a short term solution. Having said that, proper safety boots that fit well is better than proper riding boots 2 sizes too large. If your buddy's gear is in good nick, and it fits well, go for it. My jacket and boots are secondhand, and feels good. I would be cautious of the helmet, though.

I'm not sure if it's still the same, but my sister (who lives in Stellenbosch) did her learners and license in Vredenburg. She got her appointments within a week. Maybe check them out?

Good luck man!
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

I quickly took a few pics inside so it's not the best but at least can see the colors. Took it for spin. Must get hang of the clutch control but other than that it feels great

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice looking bike!
    From your friendly cager

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda & Yamaha (project)
    Region
    Free State

Very good looking and clean Twister you got there

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Eastern Cape

The black Twisters are one of the best looking, if not the best imo.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by frontfeebs View Post
    The black Twisters are one of the best looking, if not the best imo.
    I agree. I like black and red on most things. It's not the safest colour for a motorcycle but defiantly the best looking. However most vehicles looks great in white as well but red and black gives that dangerous bad-ass look for a bike.

Thinking of a name but judging by the colours, stuff like Reaper, Blood demon or some thing related to death but that's not the best line of names for motorcycles.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Thinking of a name but judging by the colours, stuff like Reaper, Blood demon or some thing related to death but that's not the best line of names for motorcycles.
    How about "Katana" or "Viking"?
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    How about "Katana" or "Viking"?
    Hmm well I don't want to compare it to a Suzuki Katana so rather not. Viking sounds great but seems like it has no relation to the CBX 250. Then maybe Samurai would work better since it relates much better to Jap bikes. However Samurai was also related to a 250cc two stroke Kawasaki back in the day so lets look at types of samurai.

Maybe Ronin. Since the bike had his great owner who mastered it through its first few steps in life. I am not the bikes master in fact I become one with the bike when driving it and the bike does not own a master. We become one and will wander the roads free from any chains or authority (except the police and my wife but shhh). A drifter or wanderer. Fits a bike. And its a nice short name

A rōnin ("drifter" or "wanderer") was a samurai without lord or master during the feudal period (1185–186 of Japan. A samurai became masterless from the death or fall of his master, or after the loss of his master's favor or privilege.

What do you think?

Bike
    Region
    Eastern Cape

I agree. I like black and red on most things. It's not the safest colour for a motorcycle but defiantly the best looking. However most vehicles looks great in white as well but red and black gives that dangerous bad-ass look for a bike.

On the contrary, there's growing thought into the subject of single colours vs multi-colour and camouflage effects. Don't have time to explain it now, but I think I'll post on the subject sometime soon. Short version: people find it easier to identify an object if it presents a solid profile rather than a broken one. Do a quick look for Dazzle Camouflage online.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

It makes sense actually. Most creatures with good camouflage is multi-coloured and that's why they blend into their surroundings. Still, I'm sure a single coloured neon green bike would stand out much more than a single coloured black one .

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Congrats! She looks a beauty! Have lots of great kilos.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Its got a name. Honda CBX250 Twister.

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks AMZ. yes yes I don't always stick to car names.

So I must thoroughly check the service history again but according to the manual I've listed the services according to intervals, to see what I should be giving main attention to, at 33k km. Only the 1k and 3k km stuff so no major items however at 36k km I see I basically have everything. Maybe I should service them at that Honda for the major service. The uncle said the average services used to be around R800 a time with the major ones going slightly above R1000. Anyways I'm not riding much yet so this could only be due next year somewhere. Perhaps by then I can fully re-assemble a carburetor and engine^^

I read through the whole service manual and I'm currently on page 100 of the 291 pages manual. (my lunch time reading)

Name:  Services.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  119.2 KB

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Bike looks really clean, congratz!

Many safe happy miles and smiles!

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks Harvs.

I'll probably move over to the twister owners thread with majority of questions regarding the CBX itself. But thanks for all the input on here guys