Thread: New and looking to buy

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Default New and looking to buy

Hi I'm Ben from Cape Town.

Always loved bikes but never owned one due to, lets say the course of life?
    I used to have dreams in high school of owning a Honda LS 125 R but back then I knew I had legs for a reason so had to use them.

Currently my situations may "force" me to justify the means to finally get a bike. I will probably do a more in depth thread under the relevant topic/heading but in short I am looking for a easy to self- maintain commuting bike.

I'm only looking for a decent SR 250 or CBX 250 (perhaps a YBR 250 or GN 250 even) in the Western Cape. Found a very nice SR 250 in perfect condition however I know I should probably not scratch this itch and first get my learners, training and gear. Just scared this may be a once in a time deal but we can discuss that on the main topic I assume.

Thanks in advance for all the tips ^^

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome!. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome!

Maybe do a beginner training first, the courses I know up in JHB usually supply basic gear (helmet, gloves, and jacket) and a bike for the training.
    See if it's for you first, before going out and buying all the gear and bike.

Regarding the bike: Like everyone always says here "try them both and see which one you like", personally I'd just go for the Honda CBX250 if you find one

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Hey thanks guys

yes I've looked at a few training places here in the Western Cape. Good prices.

Also have a separate discussion here so the guys give me some good tips.
    http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthr...61#post1170861

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey Ben

Welcome to the forum.

I've responded to your other post already. Good luck, and congrats on the newcomer
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Hey Ben

Saw you are going with the CBX on the other thread and you seem to like the cafe racer style but just thought I would let you know I have been very happy with my CBR250R and she is not as slow as everyone likes to make out... ... so if you want something with a bit more power maybe look at the CBR250R or even the Ninja 250 / 300 seem to be quite popular and you might find one or two going down this way with low mileage for a decent price.

But good luck with the CBX they also seem to be popular with beginners and it sounds like you have found a good one so hopefully it will be the start of a beautiful friendship
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi Colleen. Thanks a lot. I like both the Ninja 250 and CBR 250 but alas they're still a bit to expensive. Same with the KTM 200 and 390. I could afford one maybe or even a NC700 but every bit of savings I use could've been used on the baby which is obviously my main priority^^ So going for the cheapest best option possible seems like a decent CBX. This way I spend the least of money for quality still and have the savings left for the pinkfoot.

Main objective: To get a second vehicle so my wife can use the main car in case emergencies. Then a bonus would be commuting on a bike. I'll aim to only stick with commuting even if the bike bug bites. I buy stuff for for a purpose not for fun only^^..

..Though the fun is a bonus.. Luckily this whole situation justifies the means to finally get a bike.. but don't tell anyone